Confirmed with Link: Sean Day's contract terminated

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The year in Windsor when he was an important part of a Memorial Cup team was the highest he ever reached. For the talent he had---he didn't have enough drive and most of the time he underachieved to his abilities. He's the classic 'has the tools but no toolbox' player. His jump into the pros was an underwhelming jump and he was so far down our prospect depth list that there was nothing left to save. If he wants to continue his career he should probably go to Europe and try to put everything back together there. It's not like there is no chance that one day he won't make the NHL but it would take a lot more work.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Can't really blame them for drafting him with a mid 3rd rounder, but the problem is it was our top/first pick that draft, so a big fail to secure somebody what is at least an NHL player. This guy was overweight, lazy and terrible hockey sense.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Can't really blame them for drafting him with a mid 3rd rounder, but the problem is it was our top/first pick that draft, so a big fail to secure somebody what is at least an NHL player. This guy was overweight, lazy and terrible hockey sense.

The only players drafted after him in 130 picks that really amounted to anything in the NHL are Victor Mete and Jesper Bratt. It's not a long list. Technically, you can't even call that a list. It's just a piece of paper with 2 names on it.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
The only players drafted after him in 130 picks that really amounted to anything in the NHL are Victor Mete and Jesper Bratt. It's not a long list. Technically, you can't even call that a list. It's just a piece of paper with 2 names on it.

there are of course other factors involved. Like development and if some teams were stacked with good players and prospects some of their good prospects wouldn't really have much of a chance to make it.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Hope he can progress his career elsewhere. Probably overseas somewhere. Great physical tools but unfortunately can't really process the game at a high level.

Though I did always sort of wonder if there was an opportunity for him to transition to forward.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
The year in Windsor when he was an important part of a Memorial Cup team was the highest he ever reached. For the talent he had---he didn't have enough drive and most of the time he underachieved to his abilities. He's the classic 'has the tools but no toolbox' player. His jump into the pros was an underwhelming jump and he was so far down our prospect depth list that there was nothing left to save. If he wants to continue his career he should probably go to Europe and try to put everything back together there. It's not like there is no chance that one day he won't make the NHL but it would take a lot more work.

Yep. His game seems way more suited for Europe. Doubt he’ll be a star in whichever league he goes to, but i think the more freestyle play and bigger ice will work for him

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I never thought this day would come. Does that mean they are signing Gross?
If they do sign Gross I would think it's unrelated. They didn't need to get rid of a contract to have room for him, and Day was likely ticketed for Maine anyway given who else was incoming.

My guess is that Day requested it so he could try to sign with a team overseas, which is probably his only shot at having a career in a top-flight league.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I try to never give up on guys before their ELC ends, but it was mighty telling when the new HWP staff had him in Maine, even after Lindgren recalled while Rykov hurt, and then Keane traded.
You need some vets, but dressing all of LoVerde, Raddysh, Ebert (yes I know those guys shoot R), Geertsen, Taylor ahead of an ELC, 3rd round, one-time exceptional status, guy indicated how far their hopes for him had fallen.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
If they do sign Gross I would think it's unrelated. They didn't need to get rid of a contract to have room for him, and Day was likely ticketed for Maine anyway given who else was incoming.

My guess is that Day requested it so he could try to sign with a team overseas, which is probably his only shot at having a career in a top-flight league.

we are not close to 50 contract limit? I imagine they want to sign some free agents to plug some holes.

I hope Day requested a trade, but more likely they checked up on how he is doing and he reported his weight around 300 pounds and they decided to terminate.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I remember watching him at his first Traverse City and thinking "Man this guy is Chirstian Backman reincarnated" and at that point I understood why he was a long shot. Sucks but best of luck to him, hopefully he can find a nice spot in Europe make some good cash and be safe and healthy.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
we are not close to 50 contract limit? I imagine they want to sign some free agents to plug some holes.

I hope Day requested a trade, but more likely they checked up on how he is doing and he reported his weight around 300 pounds and they decided to terminate.
46/50.

Fast
McKegg
Di Giuseppe
Haley
Beleskey
Staal or Lundqvist in a buyout?
Gropp
Leedahl
Fontaine
Fogarty
Nieves
Lettieri
O'Regan
Crawley
Raddysh
Ebert
Berube

All those guys are impending RFA or UFAs. I would guess half of two-thirds are gone. Of course other guys will be signed for both NHL and AHL roles, but Day didn't put them in any kind of bind.

Either way, the termination has to be mutual. If it isn't mutual the club can still place the player on unconditional waivers and try to go this route, but the player can grieve it. That rarely happens though because usually the player also wants out of the deal. As a club, we're one of the more active in the mutual termination category.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad