Confirmed with Link: Sean Day's contract terminated

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Day never even had a moment in the preseason like a Crawley did or even Gropp. I remember Crawley scored that nice goal off the rush against the Devils in the preseason and his skating was really good so the general consensus around here went from "bah another overeager" to "by golly we may have something"

The thing with a guy like Crawley is he falls into the category of other Rangers AHL Legends like Ivan Baranka, Corey Potter, Nate Guennen, and Ilka Heikennen. Those were all guys who were solid AHLers but didn't excel/standout in any particular area so it caused them to be passed over by "sexier" prospects as Tom Renney used to say. They can all take a shift in the NHL and be fine but they would simply be warm bodies. Over the course of an 82-game season their production would probably be something along the lines of Ryan Hollweg and most teams aren't in favor of that.

That's why these type of players move around a lot or get type-casted/passed over and never get a crack. Sometimes they end up in a different org like Graves did and it's the perfect situation. More often they become journeyman.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
They took a shot and ultimately he didn't come far enough.

I thought in his D+1 season there was a decent enough chance to see some NHL action someday. But it was that D+2 season where you just really didn't see nearly enough progress and an over-reliance on physical skills and attributes.

The kid just could not process the game at a faster pace.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He cleared, FWIW, so he's done, and if he stays here it would likely be on an AHL deal since no one wanted his ELC.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
He cleared, FWIW, so he's done, and if he stays here it would likely be on an AHL deal since no one wanted his ELC.
... and with 3D already on AHL deals (assuming Vince report is accurate, that Drury said the kid from Brown is signed by HWP for '20-21, along w announced re-signings of LoVerde and Geertsen), NYR having Raddysh, Miller, Rykov, Hajek, and maybe some of Crawley, Lundkvist, Gross, it seems unlikely we see Pack signing Day

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Good move. Clears up an ELC. Looking forward to seeing them make a few more of these moves to create some space.

Wish Day well, I was amazed at a video of him skating at 14. Absolutely astonishing skating ability at that age.

As others have said, all tools no toolbox.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I still would've liked to see him have gotten a trial at F, but whatever, not a huge loss.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
there are of course other factors involved. Like development and if some teams were stacked with good players and prospects some of their good prospects wouldn't really have much of a chance to make it.
Don't we wish that that was the Rangers issue. The fact that he just happened to be the one squeezed out of the organization because we are so deep with talent.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
So Europe or ECHL for him? I'd be asking my agent to reach out to Swiss NL teams.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
saw Ontario speculation he might just try coming back to Canada

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
All the "Day" jokes.......I get it. Really sad for a "human being" to be hearing this. I hope he reads this.....and gets his shit together. Every dog has his "day"..

And the "Day after tomorrow" will bring new hope. If we EVER see him in the NHL, I am sure he will remember this DAY and remind the Rangers, that we made a really big mistake and we will rue the "Day" we cut ties.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
he should retire and realize that he won't be an NHL player.
I mean...guys can have really successful and lucrative careers outside the NHL. It's not NHL or bust. He can play in the AHL and the ECHL, meaning he should at least be able to find a career in the mid-tier European leagues, if not one of the top-tier leagues.

Kodie Curran just signed a 2-year SPC at age 30, one-way, worth $1M per year. He played 5 years of Canadian University hockey, spent two years here bouncing between the AHL and ECHL. Should he have retired? He went overseason and lit up the NLA, tore up Metal Ligaen, then crushed the SHL for two years. And now, he's here.

And that's why guys don't just retire.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I mean...guys can have really successful and lucrative careers outside the NHL. It's not NHL or bust. He can play in the AHL and the ECHL, meaning he should at least be able to find a career in the mid-tier European leagues, if not one of the top-tier leagues.

Kodie Curran just signed a 2-year SPC at age 30, one-way, worth $1M per year. He played 5 years of Canadian University hockey, spent two years here bouncing between the AHL and ECHL. Should he have retired? He went overseason and lit up the NLA, tore up Metal Ligaen, then crushed the SHL for two years. And now, he's here.

And that's why guys don't just retire.

id rather be known as a NHL regular not a journeyman NHL fillin with only 40 NHL games by age 32 or the Brad Smyths of the world.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
id rather be known as a NHL regular not a journeyman NHL fillin with only 40 NHL games by age 32 or the Brad Smyths of the world.

And I'd rather be a successful hockey player for a decade elsewhere than give up entirely. This NHL-or-bust mentality is laughable. There's more to hockey than just the NHL.

Nigel Dawes has carved out a stellar career for himself in the KHL. He's a star there, ambassador for Kazakh hockey. Joel Lundqvist is a legend in Swedish hockey, playing most of his career there after not making it in the NHL. Should he have retired from hockey as well?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->