Sean Couturier Signed to Extension (6 Years $4.33M AAV)

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
Also, where is the 15+ shooting percentage found? I saw it listed as 11.97.
Oooh... I was looking at ES. That other number was all situations.

Last edited:

WhatIsTwoWayHockey

Jun 25, 2015
Raffl shot at 15.7% last year. That was in the top 20 in the NHL. He'd have to shoot a lot more or finish in the 20 in SH% again to repeat his goal scoring from last year. Both are unlikely.

Reason his percentage is so high is because of him being on the backdoor for a G or V pass/rebound. You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think G or V will regress. They're entering what will be the best years of their career & I'm assuming the third linemate (whoever it is) will benefit from that....

Berube coached G to the lowest point total since 09. I'm not accounting all of that towards coaching but even with Lavy G was producing more. Again, hoping Hakstol will help that cause.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
I'll give more creedance to the even strength figure because his PP shooting was 33.33% and his SH shooting was 20%.
He got very little power play time and I think that taking out that 33.33 is more of a fair way to look at it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Reason his percentage is so high is because of him being on the backdoor for a G or V pass/rebound. You're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think G or V will regress. They're entering what will be the best years of their career & I'm assuming the third linemate (whoever it is) will benefit from that....

Playing with those two wasn't something new to Raffl last year. He played with the two the previous season as well where he scored 9 goals & shot a 8.9% (he was pulled off their lineup multiple times because he wasn't producing). The first year he flubbed a lot more (he was often criticized for it on here) opposed to last year where he didn't as much.

WhatIsTwoWayHockey

Jun 25, 2015
Playing with those two wasn't something new to Raffl last year. He played with the two the previous season as well where he scored 9 goals & shot a 8.9% (he was pulled off their lineup multiple times because he wasn't producing). The first year he flubbed a lot more (he was often criticized for it on here) opposed to last year where he didn't as much.

Which shows improvement....now we expect him to relapse?
I mean, is it possible? Of course.
I'd like to think this team is going to move in the right direction though.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Which shows improvement....now we expect him to relapse?
I mean, is it possible? Of course.
I'd like to think this team is going to move in the right direction though.

It's not expecting it but rather being skeptical of him repeating the success given the information at hand opposed to just treating Raffl like a sure thing to be a 20+ goal scorer here on out.

The Coatesy Curse*

Wow, can't believe this turned into a pissing contest over Raffl and Schenn but I'll play along and chime in.

Raffl has a nose for the net and has good hands, Schenn simply doesn't. G and V are the ones on their line who carry the puck and generate the offense, they need a "finisher" with them. Schenn isn't a finisher, Raffl is. Raffl has the speed to keep up with G and V on a breakaway, Schenn doesn't.

Schenn is a good all around player who does many things well but really hasn't "defined" himself yet. To me, last year he seemed to be the most useful to the team and actually fill a needed role when he was on the PP and playing in front of the net (a role we like Simmonds for better, but it's nice to have 2 guys who can do it).

Schenn is young and can still figure it out and difine for himself his own "valuable role" on this team but as it stands right now he's not "vital" and I could easily see him getting move to fill a holeat LW if he prices hhimself out of Philly. Raffl fills a very specific role on the team and plays a position of serious weakness for us making him IMO more "valuable" but not necessarily better.

Personally, I'd like to see Schenn resigned for 5 years at 4mil per (as others have said you can't have Schenn, Cootscand G all needing new contracts the same year) and Raffl at 2.5 mil for 3 years. I think both are fair and tries to keep as much of the "important" forwards he for the time being.

Remember, Schenn will very soon become our 4th best RW if he stays at that position. Either he has to move to LW and be effective or he needs to be traded

Where did this myth come from that raffl has "an eye for goal?" The reasons he works well on that line are his skating and his two way play. Anyone that played as much as he did with giroux and voracek would put up 20 goals. Hell, if raffl himself could lift the puck off the ice on a one-timer, he would've scored 30 last year. If you put someone with an ACTUAL "eye for goal" on that line, he would score 30-40 easily. All of raffl's goals were setups that most nhl players could finish. The problem is that not everyone has the speed to be in those positions when playing with giroux and voracek. Also, Schenn never got a fair chance on that line. He was never playing there consistently. I'm not saying he's a better option with them than raffl, but let's not pretend that he really "failed" there. It was more of the same berube mismanagement. Five minutes on the first line to start the game, then back to the third, etc. with no real chance to gain chemistry. Schenn, in my opinion, has good hands around the net but doesn't cycle well and tries to do too much on the rush. He'd do well in simmonds' position on the other powerplay (which was useless last year) instead of in the high slot like they played all season, but until he simplifies his game, he'll be at best a third liner in even strength situations. I'd like to see gagner on the first line in raffl's place. He's much more skilled and I think he'd finish more than raffl.

To get back on topic, what a steal by hextall with this contract. Even if couturier's offense never materialized, he's worth that price as a shutdown guy. The way the playoffs are set up now, he's a huge advantage against our division rivals. He basically beats the penguins for us singlehandedly. If the cap goes up significantly between now and the end of his deal, even better.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I hope Couts doesn't't come in here to see what we are saying about him....then ses it's all about Schenn vs Raffl. :laugh:

SgtJoseph*

Nice extension at a good price in my view .....As our Defense improves, our coach will have the luxury to use Coots in more of an offensive role where he can get much better scoring chances etc .....Looking forward to watching Coots continue progressing .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad