Sean Couturier - Is it time to end him being the number 2 center

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
As most probably do, wish I saw a bit more offensive flair or ability out of him, but he's perfectly fine as a 2C and not a problem in any sense of the word.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Ranger fan here in peace and always been a big Couturier fan(amazing how fantasy hockey makes us odd bed fellows...lol). Have owned him in my $$ keeper league the past 2 years and thought this year would be his "true" breakout. What are the thoughts of him thus far this year? Is he a bit disappointing for you guys? I live in here in Flyers country and so I get to watch your boys quite a bit. My observation of him is he does'n't seem as intense as I thought he'd be. He's very talented but it just seems as if his talent is not resulting in the kind of stats one would expect. He's playing on a line with Voracek another guy on my fantasy team(I secretly root for you guys except when you play my boys...lol) and Jake is playing incredible hockey and so it's kind of surprising Couturier has had such a slow start seeing that being with Voracek you would think by accident he would have better #'s. So what ya think fellas? Just a slow start and he'll start to put up the #'s we all expect he will(55+ points or more) or are we overestimating him? What ya think?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Ranger fan here in peace and always been a big Couturier fan(amazing how fantasy hockey makes us odd bed fellows...lol). Have owned him in my $$ keeper league the past 2 years and thought this year would be his "true" breakout. What are the thoughts of him thus far this year? Is he a bit disappointing for you guys? I live in here in Flyers country and so I get to watch your boys quite a bit. My observation of him is he does'n't seem as intense as I thought he'd be. He's very talented but it just seems as if his talent is not resulting in the kind of stats one would expect. He's playing on a line with Voracek another guy on my fantasy team(I secretly root for you guys except when you play my boys...lol) and Jake is playing incredible hockey and so it's kind of surprising Couturier has had such a slow start seeing that being with Voracek you would think by accident he would have better #'s. So what ya think fellas? Just a slow start and he'll start to put up the #'s we all expect he will(55+ points or more) or are we overestimating him? What ya think?

He is a very relaxed and calm guy on the ice, there is no question about that. There are two ways to read that - he lacks intensity, or he is confident and controlled, using his anticipation to remove the need for herky-jerky, reactionary play. The good posters on here know it's the latter - but there are also plenty (you can go through this thread and find them easily) who are simply mental. Like a dog with a bone, they got this idea that Couts' impact is determined by his underwhelming statistics, and they won't let this idea go until and unless he explodes with goals and assists.

It's true that he hasn't scored much, and the past few games he has possibly been a little off, and a little underdisciplined, but in general this season he is really playing great. It's not a coincidence that he is out there with Konecny and Jake and the latter two are doing so well. He's not a passenger on that line, despite the lack of statistical evidence to the contrary.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

He's always been a super steady defensively and super streaky offensively. He can go many games without a single point and then go 10 games at over PPG pace and then immediately go the next 10 with like 3 points.

This year I think it's just a matter of time before he starts scoring more. His lines been our most dangerous as far as offense goes, even when they're not finishing. They'll regularly spend long shifts in the offensive zone where they get many chances with no luck, so I think the points will come soon enough. He's been a big part of that lines success, indirectly sometimes. He's big and strong and that makes room for Voracek and Konecny, who I also think is teetering on the edge of an offensive explosion.

So personally I'm not worried at all. Of course I'd like more offense out of him, and really out of all three of them, but I think it's just a matter of time. Even Voracek, as great as he's been so far, could have significantly more points if it wasn't for that like getting some bad luck and bounces. Konecnys missed a few open nets out of nerves and of course that's just a matter of experience and maturity.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
If he only lifted MORE weight, what a chump.....

Would like to see;

Konecny - Giroux - Simmonds
Schenn - Coots - Voracek (bring it back to the Phantom chemistry days)
Cousins - Raffl - Weise
Laughton - PEB - Read

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If he can be in the mid 40s then we're in great shape.

Really the measure of a player isn't only how many points they score, it's how much they score compared to the players they're matched up against. His defense stops opponents from scoring so well that even just 40 points puts him well into the black. I'll take that any day over a player who scores more but also can't stop his opponent from scoring.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If he can be in the mid 40s then we're in great shape.

Really the measure of a player isn't only how many points they score, it's how much they score compared to the players they're matched up against. His defense stops opponents from scoring so well that even just 40 points puts him well into the black. I'll take that any day over a player who scores more but also can't stop his opponent from scoring.

How about that 5 on 5 GF% of 22 for Mr. VandeVelde this season. :amazed:

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...aters&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
I'd take him. He'd be a perfect 2 for us. I bet his asking price is he's-not-available high.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd take him. He'd be a perfect 2 for us. I bet his asking price is he's-not-available high.

Don't be fooled by this stupid thread, we're (and by that I mean most of us... or at least anyone who pays attention) very happy with him as our 2C and we sure as hell wouldn't want to move him.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
i still think coots has another level to his offensive game. he makes slick passes and reads offensive plays well but his linemates never finish his set ups. he will score more goals around the net in his career as he has a hard time getting the puck through traffic. i used to think he could have a pretty lethal shot when he sniped 4-5 goals top corner a couple games in a row years ago, but that hasn't appeared since then.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Don't be fooled by this stupid thread, we're (and by that I mean most of us... or at least anyone who pays attention) very happy with him as our 2C and we sure as hell wouldn't want to move him.

exactly. Everyone saw what a cluster **** the Flyers were without him late in the year and in the playoffs without him up front.
You take him out of the lineup and it makes matchups a lot easier for other teams.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
While I was looking up something else, I was reminded that Coots in his first 17 games last year had 4 points and was -7 (I forgot it was quite this bad). This year he is now at 16 games, 7 points, -3. He finished last year with 35 points and +15 in his final 46 games. I still see Coots ripping circulating around, and it's always good food for thought to remember this. He played well in the possession and scoring chance game and was snakebitten...until he finally wasn't. Constant good play tends to work well as an anti-venom. Same story; different season. (FWIW I actually thought he was quite mediocre this weekend and is slipping into a bit too much passivity on and off the puck in the o-zone).

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Yeah, he is clearly a step behind his linemates (who are obviously flying). He had a real tough time in the offensive zone v Minny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad