Sean Couturier - Is it time to end him being the number 2 center

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I love Couturier and I love that he's a demon defensively. However, part of his duties as a second line center is to provide offense and he simply doesn't provide it. 4 points in 12 games is simply unacceptable, especially when you consider he started the year with Voracek and Konecny as his linemates. Is it time to move Couturier back to the third line and let him be the defensive stalwart that he is and acquire a second line center or should they continue playing Couturier as the 2nd line center until he finds his offensive game? I've talked with a few other fans about this and as much as I've wanted Couturier to succeed in the 2nd line role, it just seems that the offensive side of the game isn't coming. So, to me anyways, why not let him continue to be a third line center a la Primeau and let him do his thing he's very good at. Anyways, just wanted to throw this out for discussion.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Yes. Stone hands, low skilled, slow as molasses, holding his line back, never broke 40 points. He needs to just go back to 3C and become a shutdown center. It's what he is good at and what's best for team.

It was good to give him a shot, but it's time for Bellemare to be tried out as 2C to see if he has it in him.

Reactions: Curufinwe

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I love Couturier and I love that he's a demon defensively. However, part of his duties as a second line center is to provide offense and he simply doesn't provide it. 4 points in 12 games is simply unacceptable, especially when you consider he started the year with Voracek and Konecny as his linemates. Is it time to move Couturier back to the third line and let him be the defensive stalwart that he is and acquire a second line center or should they continue playing Couturier as the 2nd line center until he finds his offensive game? I've talked with a few other fans about this and as much as I've wanted Couturier to succeed in the 2nd line role, it just seems that the offensive side of the game isn't coming. So, to me anyways, why not let him continue to be a third line center a la Primeau and let him do his thing he's very good at. Anyways, just wanted to throw this out for discussion.

He is tied for second on a team in 5v5 points, I think he's alright.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
spot on close thread.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Who exactly is going to take over that #2 center role? Schenn? Come on, points aren't what determines if he's good or not, he has been creating all kinds of chances, the team just isn't finishing

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
I don't know what games the OP has been watching, but seeing him with V and the neck has been a welcome sight! Just need to find a 3C imo

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
He's the only player, including both units, who doesn't have a PP point yet.
So he's either extremely unlucky, or an offensive role just doesn't suit him as much as a more defensive role.
Right now I like him on the 2nd line, because they've shown good chemistry. But what happens when Voracek is slumping? Will Couturier step up? We'll see I guess.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think you have to give him this year. He was pushed so far off offense in the last few years. He needs to learn how to drive to the net, get open, be strong on the puck etc. I think he will figure it out. The bigger thing to me is driving to the net. We have future 3rd line center in the system, it would be nice to have our guy in the 2 spot so we can concentrate on other areas.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Oh great, this thread is now on the "Latest Threads" list.

What's that above it? Barkov scoreless in last 7 games? 5 points in 11 games on the season. Do you think we can do a 1 for 1?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Legit question. But who else is there? They'd have to move Schenn to 2C. Could be worth a try, but I think they like being able to match up Couturier against the other teams' best centers and also have a chance to score with Voracek and Konecny on the wings. That line is actually doing a good job at ES. Would it improve with Schenn in the middle instead? Doubtful.

I also think Couturier is playing hurt. He started out this season skating well; then he was a gametime-decision with an injury and hasn't looked the same since.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I also think Couturier is playing hurt. He started out this season skating well; then he was a gametime-decision with an injury and hasn't looked the same since.

He looks pretty much exactly the same. He's getting chances for himself and his teammates; they aren't going in. This can happen. It isn't injury or some easy singular reason.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
giphy.gif

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
He looks pretty much exactly the same. He's getting chances for himself and his teammates; they aren't going in. This can happen. It isn't injury or some easy singular reason.

I disagree. His skating has been labored for over a week. Early on his skating was much stronger and he was creating more offensive chances.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I don't think what he is saying is farfetched. There's this cult of Couturier that thinks he can do no wrong. At this point of his career he needs to take that next step offensively. Its always some excuse to why he hasn't gotten to that point. I was on board with saying he needed better linemates. Well he got them and he still only has 4 points this year. He's had his chances but he isn't finishing. The problem here is the lack of consistency offensively. Sure he is elite defensively. A top shutdown center but hes trending to be a player who is an anchor defensively but throughout his career has had offensive consistency issues.

I remember how frustrated i was with Schenn and his inconsistency offensively. Now he has put it together. He has 8 points in 9 games. Compare that to Couts who only has 4 in 12. At some point Couts has to reach that point to producing in the offensive zone on a consistent basis. I'm not asking him to be PPG. 55 points at max would make me happy but another season of being under 40 points will drive me mad. His career high is 39 points.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
No doubt he has to step up. We all see he has the skill, but his mentality is always to play it safe. Its gonna be hard to break out offensively.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Someone please start a "should Giroux be stripped of the captaincy?" thread while we're on this topic. Maybe something about Homer drafting Goulbourne or the Tomas Hyka Affair. Lots of good topics out there not getting enough attention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad