Prospect Info: Sean Behrens 2021 draft, 2nd round (61st overall)

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
So when do the Avs bring him in? D pipeline really bare with all the trades, are they thinking he's more an asset to trade or they want him to be in the NHL in a couple years?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
So when do the Avs bring him in? D pipeline really bare with all the trades, are they thinking he's more an asset to trade or they want him to be in the NHL in a couple years?
He's just has a terrific freshman season, but I don't know if I want him to go pro yet. Another year of physical development I would think would be best for him before he starts playing against men.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He’ll likely be moved at the deadline next season, but it’s nice to have another good defensive prospect in the system.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
He's just has a terrific freshman season, but I don't know if I want him to go pro yet. Another year of physical development I would think would be best for him before he starts playing against men.
I agree with this, I'm thinking Avs offer him a deal after next season. He wasn't able to do much against bigger D corps later in the season. Definitely shades of Girard in his escapability but without the predictable spin moves.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He’ll likely be moved at the deadline next season, but it’s nice to have another good defensive prospect in the system.

I think they'll probably keep Behrens after moving Barron, Helleson, and their 1st. Especially with some uncertainty over whether they'll keep both Girard and Toews long term.

Sakic also spoke very highly of him this year. Don't recall if he ever spoke that way about Barron or Helleson.

I actually thought last off season that they could move both Barron and Helleson at the deadline this year. Because of the timing of when both would turn pro, they didn't necessarily need them.

But the timing for when Behrens might turn pro, they could need a young D man on a cheap ELC to possibly replace Toews in two years, or Girard who could be traded for a 2C.

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Are they really not going to bring Behrens in now? I get it they don't need to use him right now but shouldn't he be signing right now?

Reactions: Metallo

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
@henchman21 mentioned about a month ago that some people he talked to claimed that Behrens might want to go to UFA status.
It is more about guarantees. So many NHL games, bonuses, etc. There is a NIL deal for Behrens if he comes back, but we aren’t talking near the one Wood got… is it enough to offset a potential AHL year? Thats the major question.

FTR I think Behrens does sign, but there is a non zero chance he goes back for a senior year and goes UFA.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
@henchman21 mentioned about a month ago that some people he talked to claimed that Behrens might want to go to UFA status.
Oh well, Will Butcher all over again. I think the PA and the league need to discuss this angle for the future. Not getting Behrens isn't the end of the world but look at how Philly had to panic over Gauthier. Prospects will increasingly go to NCAA so they can force their way into free agency, while making NIL money that pretty much matches the AHL money they forgo for not signing earlier. And the existing players are going to dislike how rookies are going to get a larger share of the cap and force some guys out by demanding NHL slots to sign.

Reactions: Chiarelli

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh well, Will Butcher all over again. I think the PA and the league need to discuss this angle for the future. Not getting Behrens isn't the end of the world but look at how Philly had to panic over Gauthier. Prospects will increasingly go to NCAA so they can force their way into free agency, while making NIL money that pretty much matches the AHL money they forgo for not signing earlier. And the existing players are going to dislike how rookies are going to get a larger share of the cap and force some guys out by demanding NHL slots to sign.

I don't think people really understand that the NCAA path to UFA is not at all different in length of time as the CHL path... and the Euros drafted at 18-19. All of them have a path to UFA after 4 years. If a player is going to wait 4 years to sign their NHL contract, they can simply choose any team they want regardless of the path. It is just more visible in the NCAA.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
A CHL player has to go back through the draft after 2 years and then where’s he supposed to play once he’s 21 years old? It’s not a viable option at all for those players. At least the Euros can stay with their home clubs for 4 years but they don’t often have the leverage NCAA players do to get promises. Burned contract years, promises of NHL games, bonuses for getting low number of games, that’s all the NCAA playbook. However if Behrens doesn’t see a commitment from the Avs it’s best for his sake to figure this out now.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
A CHL player has to go back through the draft after 2 years and then where’s he supposed to play once he’s 21 years old? It’s not a viable option at all for those players. At least the Euros can stay with their home clubs for 4 years but they don’t often have the leverage NCAA players do to get promises. Burned contract years, promises of NHL games, bonuses for getting low number of games, that’s all the NCAA playbook. However if Behrens doesn’t see a commitment from the Avs it’s best for his sake to figure this out now.
The CHL players could get European contracts pretty easily if they wanted to go that route (or an AHL contract with the Wolves). It isn't a route that is taken, but the timing is not coincidental in the CBA. Any player basically has to wait 4 years from being drafted to hit UFA and that is across the board. Whether that is being drafted twice and waiting it out or going NCAA or staying in Europe. The only exceptions to this are Russia and Switzerland and that is a transfer agreement issue otherwise they'd be in the Euro section. Or another weirder exception is be a CHL guy don't sign and hope/figure out a way you don't get drafted, where you can be 20 and a UFA to sign anywhere.

As we move forward, if the NCAA allows CHL players to play (as expected soon), we will very likely see some OHL guys go into NCAA when they are 19/20 and have another option to wait it out.

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
Has Behrens stated he's not signing with the Avalanche because he wants to test the UFA market? Or is this another bit of "speculation" from a poster on this forum?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
UFA status for NCAA drafted players is total bullshit, and they need to amend this right away.

A team losing an asset like this should at least be compensated with another draft pick.
There is a compensatory pick for first rounders from any league. It just doesn't exist for 2nd+. I really don't think it should either. Teams don't sign 2nd rounders all the time, we shouldn't reward bad drafting with more picks.

There is also a ton of nuance with regards to contracts and draft rights.. the whole bona-fide offer stuff is crazy. Essentially every CHL pick to retain their rights beyond a year has to be given an ELC offer (some nuance in that) whereas NCAA players don't have to be given an offer and a team keeps their rights for 4 years without ever even getting an offer. IE say a sophomore who was drafted two years breaks out, but his drafting team doesn't want to sign him. He's stuck waiting for 2 more years even if he leaves school before he can sign with a different NHL team. A CHL player breaks out in their +2 and if their drafting team won't sign them, they can re-enter the draft for a team that will sign them... or if they don't get drafted they can sign anywhere.

IMO 4 years is plenty of time to sign players. If it can't be figured out, then the parties should be able to part ways.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
UFA status for NCAA drafted players is total bullshit, and they need to amend this right away.

A team losing an asset like this should at least be compensated with another draft pick.
Why? If a team can’t sign or move an asset like that in 4 years than that’s on them.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
it would seem to hurt teams in lame markets that draft well in the later rounds as those players take longer to develop. As an Avs fan we suck at drafting late and we've probably sniped more of these guys than lost through this process.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Why? If a team can’t sign or move an asset like that in 4 years than that’s on them.
Is it though? What if the player is jerking them around?

What if everything between the player and team has been cool for 3 years but instead of signing, the player suddenly decides that he's gonna go UFA. C'mon, that's f***ed up...,

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Is it though? What if the player is jerking them around?

What if everything between the player and team has been cool for 3 years but instead of signing, the player suddenly decides that he's gonna go UFA. C'mon, that's f***ed up...,
I mean NHL teams can and do that to players all the time.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Simple solution is to make the entry contract standardized. Enough with the burned years and other incentives. Draft position dictates the standard contract and it kicks in whenever the player signs. Might not be super player friendly but these guys aren't in the PA yet and the team shouldn't have any significant risk if the player doesn't pan out. Maybe some small round basis guaranteed buyout but that's it.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So are we just under the assumption that he isn't going to sign? Seems like this should have been done by now if it was going to happen.

It will be a big blow to us if he decides to not sign. Was looking for him to help the defensive depth over the next my few years on the cheap.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
If we don’t have a signing by the end of this weekend that’s probably not good IMO. College guys don’t sign late into the summer too often IIRC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad