Prospect Info: Sean Behrens 2021 draft, 2nd round (61st overall)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Eliteprospects lists him as 5'10

View attachment 455823

Regarding the other bit in bold, fortunately we have Justin Barron and Drew Helleson in the pipeline who would both fit that role.

That seems inflated to me. NTDP listed him as 5'9 this year. Their listings are usually very accurate, but they do occasionally list a smaller prospect as an inch or two taller than they are. My guess would be 5'8. 5'9 wouldn't surprise me. 5'10 seems inflated. Either way, he's still an undersized player.

Players like Barron and Helleson would be good players to pair him with, if he pans out. He absolutely has the talent to play in the NHL

Reactions: Richard88

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How's St. Louis in July?

It's an unfortunate situation, but pro hockey is a business. I wish it would've went down under better circumstances, but nothing that can be done about it now.

Anyway, I don't want to clutter the thread of this prospect. Behrens is a player whose game I like. If he pans out, he could be really good.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Sean Behrens was one of the top offensive defencemen for the U.S. National Team Development Program Under-18 Team this season. He put up seven goals and 28 assists for 35 points in 46 games. Behrens was named an alternate captain for the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. He scored one goal and three assists for four points in five games at the tournament. Unfortunately, the American team disappointed on home ice, getting eliminated in the quarterfinal.

2021 NHL Draft #38: Sean Behrens Scouting Report

Reactions: Pokecheque

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Sean Behrens was one of the top offensive defencemen for the U.S. National Team Development Program Under-18 Team this season. He put up seven goals and 28 assists for 35 points in 46 games. Behrens was named an alternate captain for the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. He scored one goal and three assists for four points in five games at the tournament. Unfortunately, the American team disappointed on home ice, getting eliminated in the quarterfinal.

2021 NHL Draft #38: Sean Behrens Scouting Report
You haven't answered my question.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I really like this pick selection, but it also makes perfect sense how he fell to our pick (size issues). I see the Tory Krug comparisons and even though he plays quite the same way, from what I've seen personally he doesn't have the same offensive talent nor potential. I would argue that he might become the better defensive player which could be closer to Jared Spurgeon type of impact, but he still has a lot of work to do because he's insanely skinny. No doubt he plays bigger than what his size says, though there is always limitation due to Newtonian physics when it comes to the principles of mass. I would also like to make the case that he was picked as an eventual replacement for Toews since Devon's contract runs out around the same time Behrens should be ready to go.

I also do see a lot of Toews in his overall game in terms of him being a slick transitional defender with a high amount of vision and passing creativity. Sean also plays at a high enough defensive level to have top 4 potential as he possesses a brilliant defensive stick with almost perfect gap control. He most definitely plays a risky brand and takes much more risks with the puck (akin to Dumba), but some of it works and other times it doesn't. The hope for his develop besides putting on pounds is to clean up his game, so his turnovers won't be as numerous as they are now. Not that he's careless or lacks the decision making, but for me it seems that he tries to do too much in terms of creating breakout plays as fast as possible and sometimes the play isn't there (so he might try and force it). A scout said he has one of the best first breakout passes among any prospect, but he's still levels down from Helleson for me personally.

Another aspect is even though he was given top minute PP when he played in the USHL, he isn't necessarily a threat from the point, which limited the USNTDP PP. His shot isn't Girard bad, but I am not sure it is even average at this point in time either (definitely needs to do work). Nonetheless, similar to Samwise his game revolves around the aspect of passing and he's quite creative when it comes to jumping in the play and reading off of other players. As for skating he a very good skater, but I am not sure his straight line speed is anything amazing for his size. He absolutely has the agility and that might be more important when it comes turning off of hits against bigger forwards. There are some negative in his game, but there is still a lot to like here...he reads the game as well as Toews does, can pass the puck as good as Girard, and plays defence with the same impact as Spurgeon, what needs to happen for Behrens is improve these tools because the toolbox is there.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Behrens reminds me a bit of Eamon Powell from last years draft (selected by Tampa in he 4th round, 116th overall).

Behrens doesn't have quite the same elite speed that Powell has, and Powell is less physical, but they're both undersized and both rely on great mobility, high IQ; and good positioning to defend with a very active stick.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Doesn't appear like we have room for a player like him in the lineup in the next several years but you never know.

Might be forced to trade Byram in 3 years if he's too good and wants a big contract.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Doesn't appear like we have room for a player like him in the lineup in the next several years but you never know.

Might be forced to trade Byram in 3 years if he's too good and wants a big contract.
He's at least three years away with maybe one more in the AHL, which lines perfectly up when Toews contract ends.

Last edited:

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

As SEPH said above this kid has a lot of similarities to Toews, especially the manner in which he uses an active stick and seeks to challenge forwards at the blue line. Could see him replacing Toews in 3 years time.

His skillset as a tenacious but undersized PMD will also dovetail well with either Barron or Helleson on a shutdown pair.

Byram - Makar
Girard - Barron
Behrens - Helleson

Toews 4 year contract always seemed primed for a trade in 2023 when Byram needs a raise. Or if Behrens needs an extra year you simply keep Toews until 2024 if cap allows.

Ideally you'd want someone bigger than Behrens on the 3rd pair (and his.shot blocking on the PK leaves a lot to be desired), but being partnered with Barron/Helleson should mitigate some of the size limitation he has (ditto for Girard).

Reactions: S E P H

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
This pick shows clearly that Sakic isn't about to abandon his philosophy despite the playoff failure (and success of teams with big Dmen).

Svozil was right there for the picking as a big defensive LHD who can skate well, but Sakic doubled down on Dmen who are great in transition at the expense of size.

That's even more notable since this pick was acquired by trading away our biggest Dman in Graves.

Had Sakic been influenced by the big Dman teams he easily could have traded Girard instead and kept Graves and/or taken Svozil instead of Behrens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad