Prospect Info: Sean Behrens 2021 draft, 2nd round (61st overall)

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Based on that little celebration clip with his sister and mom, I would say he has a good amount of room to beef up.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
He’s like a physical Girard or just Ryan Ellis. Will be interesting to see if he can maintain that part of his game as he moves up levels. He’s a great young defensive prospect

Haha, I was just coming here to say he reminds me a lot of Girard, with Ellis' aggression in the D zone. Hopefully he can go to the same gym as Ellis and bulk up.

Maybe Chambers will actually be passionate about the Avs for once now.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
He’s like a physical Girard or just Ryan Ellis. Will be interesting to see if he can maintain that part of his game as he moves up levels. He’s a great young defensive prospect

This... he's a stocky player and can take down 6'2" guys with hits despite his size.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Haha, I was just coming here to say he reminds me a lot of Girard, with Ellis' aggression in the D zone. Hopefully he can go to the same gym as Ellis and bulk up.

Maybe Chambers will actually be passionate about the Avs for once now.
I'm not sure that is a good thing....in fact I know it is not.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the value isn't bad for you guys. Behrens is a talented player, but he has some noticeable deficits.

He has really good hockey sense and skill with the puck. He also is a great east-west skater. He turns and pivots extremely well. He's able to run a powerplay extremely well, and I think he's a very good playmaker.

The obvious deficits are that he's 5'8 with pretty average skating speed. He's good defensively for his size, but if you put him out there to shut a team down defensively, he's probably going to struggle. He likely needs to be paired with a big defenseman that can skate and is good defensively.

He was bad in the World U18's this season. I thought that tournament probably dropped his draft stock about a full round, but he was also being used terribly. The coach, who is a brutal coach and made numerous terrible decisions, was using him in a shutdown role, and it didn't work. I thought he could've went first round in March. After May, it wasn't happening, but he's a player with first round talent and some deficits a team has to work around.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
This description of his skating and active stick seems like a perfect fit for the style Avs like to play. Just like Toews and Barron (the last two Dmen Sakic added) Behrens also looks to stop opponents at the blueline with an active stick. Can definitely see what the vision is here.

upload_2021-7-24_18-6-20.png

Reactions: Avs_19

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I think the value isn't bad for you guys. Behrens is a talented player, but he has some noticeable deficits.

He has really good hockey sense and skill with the puck. He also is a great east-west skater. He turns and pivots extremely well. He's able to run a powerplay extremely well, and I think he's a very good playmaker.

The obvious deficits are that he's 5'8 with pretty average skating speed. He's good defensively for his size, but if you put him out there to shut a team down defensively, he's probably going to struggle. He likely needs to be paired with a big defenseman that can skate and is good defensively.

He was bad in the World U18's this season. I thought that tournament probably dropped his draft stock about a full round, but he was also being used terribly. The coach, who is a brutal coach and made numerous terrible decisions, was using him in a shutdown role, and it didn't work. I thought he could've went first round in March. After May, it wasn't happening, but he's a player with first round talent and some deficits a team has to work around.
Eliteprospects lists him as 5'10

upload_2021-7-24_18-9-32.png

Regarding the other bit in bold, fortunately we have Justin Barron and Drew Helleson in the pipeline who would both fit that role.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO

How's St. Louis in July?

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
Funny thinking about the state of the defense a decade ago till now and all the years of some terrible d corps and now how seems to be the biggest organizational strength

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad