Prospect Info: Sean Behrens 2021 draft, 2nd round (61st overall)

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Doesn't appear like we have room for a player like him in the lineup in the next several years but you never know.

Might be forced to trade Byram in 3 years if he's too good and wants a big contract.
Lol you don't trade your core players like that. If Byram ends up too good and wants a big contract, that means he's lived up to or even exceeded expectations and is now a vital part of this team. You move others to make it work. Not move the superior player to keep inferior players.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
This pick shows clearly that Sakic isn't about to abandon his philosophy despite the playoff failure (and success of teams with big Dmen).

Svozil was right there for the picking as a big defensive LHD who can skate well, but Sakic doubled down on Dmen who are great in transition at the expense of size.

That's even more notable since this pick was acquired by trading away our biggest Dman in Graves.

Had Sakic been influenced by the big Dman teams he easily could have traded Girard instead and kept Graves and/or taken Svozil instead of Behrens.

Svozil would have been my choice to replace Graves/Cole. He’s steady defensively and responsible. A much better partner with Timmins/Barron/Helleson for a solid defensive bottom pairing. Offensively, he’ll not better than Byram/Girard/Makar.

I like the player, but not the pick.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This pick shows clearly that Sakic isn't about to abandon his philosophy despite the playoff failure (and success of teams with big Dmen).

Svozil was right there for the picking as a big defensive LHD who can skate well, but Sakic doubled down on Dmen who are great in transition at the expense of size.

That's even more notable since this pick was acquired by trading away our biggest Dman in Graves.

Had Sakic been influenced by the big Dman teams he easily could have traded Girard instead and kept Graves and/or taken Svozil instead of Behrens.
I'm expecting us to go after large defenders in free agency, which isn't entirely wrong philosophy for teams to head towards. What I mean is you draft the highly skilled though smaller talented defencemen in the draft and buy your way to the bigger/larger blokes in the UFA market. I do think the Avs value Suter at the top of their board, but I wouldn't be surprised if they go hard after Savard as a back up option (of course in their own cap structure terms). I think what made Power intriguing for teams is that he's huge with a decent enough talent level to be warranted at 1st overall. I know I wouldn't take him there, but I completely understand why he pulled away from the rest of the pack. On the other hand I would absolutely be appalled if Avs drafted someone like Ben Rodger with our second or Bryce Montgomery with a pick before the 5th round.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I'm expecting us to go after large defenders in free agency, which isn't entirely wrong philosophy for teams to head towards. What I mean is you draft the highly skilled though smaller talented defencemen in the draft and buy your way to the bigger/larger blokes in the UFA market. I do think the Avs value Suter at the top of their board, but I wouldn't be surprised if they go hard after Savard as a back up option (of course in their own cap structure terms). I think what made Power intriguing for teams is that he's huge with a decent enough talent level to be warranted at 1st overall. I know I wouldn't take him there, but I completely understand why he pulled away from the rest of the pack. On the other hand I would absolutely be appalled if Avs drafted someone like Ben Rodger with our second or Bryce Montgomery with a pick before the 5th round.
Yeah I completely agree. Drafting skill and upside is the way to go. There are always quite cheap PKing Dmen in free agency or available at the deadline and typically they don't cost a tonne in caphit, especially if you're a contender.

It would be disappointing if they used a 2nd rounder on a guy with no higher than 3rd pairing ceiling when there are higher ceiling players available.

Regarding Suter, do you think signing him would impact Timmins' immediate future with the Avs? It would after all be quite a luxury to have Timmins as 7D, though it might be a necessary luxury with EJs health being what it is.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah I completely agree. Drafting skill and upside is the way to go. There are always quite cheap PKing Dmen in free agency or available at the deadline and typically they don't cost a tonne in caphit, especially if you're a contender.

It would be disappointing if they used a 2nd rounder on a guy with no higher than 3rd pairing ceiling when there are higher ceiling players available.

Regarding Suter, do you think signing him would impact Timmins' immediate future with the Avs? It would after all be quite a luxury to have Timmins as 7D, though it might be a necessary luxury with EJs health being what it is.
Yeah I don't have or see any problems with signing Suter or Savard. I get it that EJ is a fan favourite and we all have a soft spot for him, but he shouldn't be relied anymore for having any sort of impact. He's a #7 defender as far as I am concerned and Timmins is on the upswing considering how impressive he was in the playoffs this past year.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Behrens clearly has excellent mobility and agility, but does he have the skating speed to be successful in the NHL at his size?

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Behrens clearly has excellent mobility and agility, but does he have the skating speed to be successful in the NHL at his size?

Id argue Girard has sub-par straight line speed. His edge work and lateral speed is what makes him tough to match up with. Get him in a 1v1 race to the pick and he’s usually the second guy there.

As with most guys this size, how is his hockey IQ.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Id argue Girard has sub-par straight line speed. His edge work and lateral speed is what makes him tough to match up with. Get him in a 1v1 race to the pick and he’s usually the second guy there.

As with most guys this size, how is his hockey IQ.
Girard added quite a bit of power to his stride and looked noticeably faster to start last season. He was really blowing past the F1 in his zone to start the breakout. Hopefully Behrens can do the same to get a bit faster.

From what I've seen, read, and heard about Behrens his hockey IQ is pretty high. I particularly like his ability to find a smart outlet pass quickly while under pressure.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The way he skated through the neutral zone actually reminds me of Quinn Hughes.

Not saying he’s that level of skater, but that play looked similar.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
The way he skated through the neutral zone actually reminds me of Quinn Hughes.

Not saying he’s that level of skater, but that play looked similar.

I can see the similarities, but as you said you’ll be hard pressed to find someone at Hughes’ level for defensemen. He’s up there with Makar for best skating defenseman in hockey.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
PPG for NCAA Dmen (u20)....

Pretty good company for Behrens. Luke Hughes is the only other u19 ahead of Behrens too.

upload_2022-2-13_23-43-21-png.507015

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
PPG for NCAA Dmen (u20)....

Pretty good company for Behrens. Luke Hughes is the only other u19 ahead of Behrens too.

upload_2022-2-13_23-43-21-png.507015

Was something wrong with saying 18 year old? Or even ‘03?

You had me confused/thinking you were way off for a solid 5 minutes before I realized.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad