SCSU Huskies

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Rabid Husky, how would you describe Jared Festler's game and potential as an NHL prospect? I was surprised he didn't get selected last year.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Tony Mosey-Aaron Marvin-Travis Novak
Jordy Christian-Garrett Roe-Ryan Lasch
Jared Festler-Nick Oslund-John Swanson
Michael Olson-Drew LeBlanc-Brian Volpei

Nic Rioux-Garrett Raboin
Oliver Lauridsen-Brett Barta
Sam Zabkowicz-Chris Hepp

Jase Weslosky
Dan Dunn

Only going to have Lauridsen for the friday game because of the World Junior tourney so that sucks but it's a great opportunity for him.
Represent your country well Oliver but you'd better not get hurt :)

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Rabid Husky, how would you describe Jared Festler's game and potential as an NHL prospect? I was surprised he didn't get selected last year.

I was surprised too but if he keeps playing like he has this year he'll get picked in this draft. He's got great vision and is a terrific passer. He's not real flashy so he won't make a whole lot of "wow" plays but he makes a lot of the right ones look really easy. While not overly fast he is a decent skater and doesn't get burned often. He's got a good wrist shot (I don't recall much on his slapper) and he is not afraid to go to the net to score goals which is admirable for someone his size. If he wants to make the NHL he's obviously going to have to get stronger, not bigger per se but he needs to not get knocked off the puck as easily as he sometimes is, I think he could learn a lot from Lasch and Roe in this area. He's been our best freshman by far and I love watching the kid play

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Really wish the defense would have shown up this weekend. This team can be so frustrating from week to week. One game they look like world beaters and the next the look like the world beat on them. I did like the fight they had on Saturday as they could have very easily given up when it was 4-1 but the effort needs to pick up on a consistent basis if they want any hope of doing any damage this year.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Taht's been a bad trend trend with the Huskies the past few years: A+ offense and a C- defense. It'd be nice for Weslosky to have a sturdier crew in front of him. Does Motzko at least worj=k on having back-checking forwards? It's not going to be easy for SCSU to start the second half with Cornell, presumably Maine, and Duluth, who seem to have a vendetta against the Huskies...then you get CC and NoDak. That's a rough start, bro.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Taht's been a bad trend trend with the Huskies the past few years: A+ offense and a C- defense. It'd be nice for Weslosky to have a sturdier crew in front of him. Does Motzko at least worj=k on having back-checking forwards? It's not going to be easy for SCSU to start the second half with Cornell, presumably Maine, and Duluth, who seem to have a vendetta against the Huskies...then you get CC and NoDak. That's a rough start, bro.

They do backcheck, problem is when they panic they tend to run around so they get out of position. This team has good defensemen in my opinion and they do play well most nights they are just inconsistent. They have a good shutdown line in Swanson-Marvin-Novak that plays very good defense and the other lines are ok save Christian-Roe-Lasch who seem to get worked against hard forechecks but that line is there to score so we take what we can get. Also, Weslosky was not good in game 2 against the Sioux and that hasn't happened really at all this year. Right now it's feast or famine for SCSU and they need to get more consistent if they want to compete and that takes time.
As for the schedule, we also get Minny in there too and there is no easy series in this league and I expect that but I also know how these guys can play when they show up and I think they will have a much better second half.
The sophomores and freshman are leading this team in scoring and Lasch had a subpar first half. I think Lasch snaps out of it and I think we will see great things from the underclassmen in the 2nd half.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Recruit Update

Milan: 30 pts (12G 18A) 22 PIM in 37 games for Penticton (BCHL)
Oliver: 2 pts (1G 1A) 11 PIM in 11 games for Fargo (USHL)
Eddy: 27 pts (10G 17A) 40 PIM in 24 games for Sioux Falls (USHL) tied for 3rd in the league in scoring
Johnson: 8 pts (3G 5A) +4 51 PIM in 21 games for Green Bay (USHL)
Gravel: 5 pts (0G 5A) +2 25 PIM in 31 games for Marquette (NAHL)
Ravndalen: 10 pts (4G 6A) 14 PIM in 15 games for Alexandria (NAHL)
Lee: 9-9-1 2.78 GAA .911 SV% for Fargo (USHL)

Hanowski: 16 points (11G 5A) in 4 games for Little Falls.
Oliver: has not played yet for Roseau

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I was surprised too but if he keeps playing like he has this year he'll get picked in this draft. He's got great vision and is a terrific passer. He's not real flashy so he won't make a whole lot of "wow" plays but he makes a lot of the right ones look really easy. While not overly fast he is a decent skater and doesn't get burned often. He's got a good wrist shot (I don't recall much on his slapper) and he is not afraid to go to the net to score goals which is admirable for someone his size. If he wants to make the NHL he's obviously going to have to get stronger, not bigger per se but he needs to not get knocked off the puck as easily as he sometimes is, I think he could learn a lot from Lasch and Roe in this area. He's been our best freshman by far and I love watching the kid play

Thanks RH, much appreciated.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I'm sick of the mental breakdowns with these guys at the moment. Getting scored on right after you score is unacceptable, they've got to stay focused. If Weslosky is out for the year, congratulations you have just screwed over this team and you should be ashamed of yourself. I liked the effort and they played well but again it still needs to be consistent.
I was also ready to reach into the radio and smack Reichel tonight with his whole "I don't know how we are down 3-1 when we've outplayed them so much." Well Dave, we broke down 3 times and they took advantage of it while Cornell's goalie was standing on his head, it's not that hard.

james bond

Aug 5, 2007
Hey Rabid H,
how would you compare Ben Hanowski to other top USA 90 prospects? Do you think that he will get an invite to next years U20 summer camp?

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I'm sick of the mental breakdowns with these guys at the moment. Getting scored on right after you score is unacceptable, they've got to stay focused. If Weslosky is out for the year, congratulations you have just screwed over this team and you should be ashamed of yourself. I liked the effort and they played well but again it still needs to be consistent.
I was also ready to reach into the radio and smack Reichel tonight with his whole "I don't know how we are down 3-1 when we've outplayed them so much." Well Dave, we broke down 3 times and they took advantage of it while Cornell's goalie was standing on his head, it's not that hard.

That's a tough loss last night. There is still plenty of season but it looks like The Huskies are digging their own grave right now. What happened with Weslosky? Grades?

Radical

Nov 5, 2008
I don't think St. Cloud is falling apart when you look at this past weekend. They lost by one goal in their first game and tied the 2nd game. They dominated their first night, but the goalie for the other team proved to be the better goalie on this night. And, people should quit always looking at points and stats. I'm a big fan of the defense and Zabkowicz scored a goal, Olson had an assist and the third assist should have gone to player Hepp. He made the first pass to Olson. They list four forwards on that goal and one defenseman for players on the ice. It was clear that Hepp should have been awarded the 2nd assist. It just shows you that sometimes a player is having a good game, but they don't get credit where credit is deserved. Raboin is always solid and he sure deserves to captain this team. I think Hepp and Zabkowicz are showing their talent. There is a ton of talent on the offense. I can only hope they have a better 2nd half.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
That's a tough loss last night. There is still plenty of season but it looks like The Huskies are digging their own grave right now. What happened with Weslosky? Grades?

For now yes, this is all that's been mentioned on it.

For those of you who've asked (and there have been a lot of you; I've heard ...) there's no story to Jase Weslosky's suspension -- yet. He was indeed held out of the two games at the Florida College Classic because of academic issues, however he was eligible to play and could have done so. It was Bob Motzko's decision to go with Dan Dunn, doubtless to prepare him if he should have to be the No. 1 goalie in the second half. The rub for Weslosky becomes whether he'll be eligible for the second semester and Motzko isn't ready to comment publicly on that. The fall semester grades become final on Monday. At that point or by Tuesday, we should know whether Weslosky will be in goal next Friday or whether the rest of the season rides on Dan Dunn.

There are two reasons I haven't written about it, other than this blog post in cyberspace, and this is all you'll probably find until the team responds:

* First, I did not make the trip and it's unfortunate because this is exactly the kind of story I would have been able to report -- maybe even before it happened. But it's hard to do that from my couch when the Huskies are 1,500 miles away and I'm listening to the radio like everyone else.

* Second, and this is perhaps most important, there is no story yet because Weslosky could find a way to make himself eligible again -- just as he did last season when the same exact circumstances arose. We already reported he didn't play in the tournament because of off-ice issues, and I'll clarify that to academics the first time I have something SCSU related in print. But, until there's confirmation he's out, I have to consider him still in.

I don't think St. Cloud is falling apart when you look at this past weekend. They lost by one goal in their first game and tied the 2nd game. They dominated their first night, but the goalie for the other team proved to be the better goalie on this night. And, people should quit always looking at points and stats. I'm a big fan of the defense and Zabkowicz scored a goal, Olson had an assist and the third assist should have gone to player Hepp. He made the first pass to Olson. They list four forwards on that goal and one defenseman for players on the ice. It was clear that Hepp should have been awarded the 2nd assist. It just shows you that sometimes a player is having a good game, but they don't get credit where credit is deserved. Raboin is always solid and he sure deserves to captain this team. I think Hepp and Zabkowicz are showing their talent. There is a ton of talent on the offense. I can only hope they have a better 2nd half.

The talent for me has never been an issue, Motzko has assembled a very talented squad. The issue is consistency in their play. They are a young squad and play more underclassmen each night than every team in the league save Denver so I expected some growing pains. It's all in their heads right now and hopefully the second half can bring some good results and some positive improvement because if it does, St. Cloud could be a factor still this year and downright scary next year.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
He'll be sorely needed this weekend against a Duluth team that seems to have a vendetta against the Huskies this year.

I'm not sure I play him both games, yes Dunn is a bit shaky but I think he needs the experience as I'm not sure Weslosky comes back next year. Dunn has never faced UMD and a fresh face in nets may help (although the losses were not Weslosky's fault so much as poor D)
We are at home and we have played much better there than on the road so I think Duluth is in for a surprise this weekend, much like your Badgers were on Friday night when we played.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
7b61bc74-2ffa-4e82-9224-54346762bc85.Large.jpg

This is the jersey SCSU will wear next saturday as part of Hockey Day Minnesota. It's a replica of one worn during the 30's and the jersey's will be auctioned after the game.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Hey Rabid H,
how would you compare Ben Hanowski to other top USA 90 prospects? Do you think that he will get an invite to next years U20 summer camp?

I'm not the one to ask as I haven't seen Hanowski play much. Try shooting a PM to The Exiled One or Westerncollegehockey, they should be able to help you more than I would.

Good win tonight, definitely needed that one. Wish I would have been able to see it though, stupid Twin Cities Comcast!

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Good win tonight, definitely needed that one. Wish I would have been able to see it though, stupid Twin Cities Comcast!

Are you referring to Friday night's game? I saw it on the NHL Network. It was a great game. I'm glad to see my boy Ryan Lasch finally getting hot again. He was a man on a mission in Friday's game and it looks like he played well again earlier tonight.

But I've gotta tell you Rabid, the Husky that just keeps knocking my socks off with his play is Aaron Marvin. He's been phenomenal. And it's not just one area of his game either. He's done a great job of rounding out his game and it shows just how effective and reliable he is to the Huskies, and if the Calgary Flames are paying attention, they should be really happy with his development. I think the thing about it that has really impressed me is that he works hard in every situation he's in. He learns from his mistakes and doesn't seem to repeat (at least in the games I've seen). He looks not only more confident, but he shows a lot of patience in a variety of situations. His panic level looks to have decreased and he's just playing smart without trying to get flashy out there. I really like that because he's learning, adapting and doing what he needs to do to be an effective and reliable contributor.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Yes, Friday nights game wasn't on in the cities because of a "coding issue" by Comcast. If I'd had my Dish, I'd have seen it...so like I said, stupid Comcast. :mad:
I love how Marvin has progressed, before Christmas last year he had just 3 points, 1G 2A. In the 44 games since (22 last year and 22 this year) he has 28 points, 9G 19A. He's also one hell of a penalty killer which has been a weak spot for us. Calgary has taken notice as scouts were at the game tonight (leave him alone!!!!!!! :))
This was a huge sweep for us this weekend and who the hell knows what kind of Gopher team we'll get next weekend but this conference is tight and every game for every team is huge from here on out. A loss at the wonr time could mean 2-3 spots in the standings this year.

mnhowitzer

Jul 7, 2006
You've seen the worst of the Gophers now, that's for sure. Hopefully they can bring it this weekend or SCSU will make short work of them.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
You've seen the worst of the Gophers now, that's for sure. Hopefully they can bring it this weekend or SCSU will make short work of them.

I think we'll either get a pissed off version or one that will roll over. Considering the Friday game is at Mariucci, I think we'll get a pissed off one. SCSU will have to weather the storm and keep up their intensity. I know the boys do want some payback for the sweep earlier this year.

mnhowitzer

Jul 7, 2006
Only team the Gophers have swept so far this season is SCSU...kind of strange. I do think the Gophers will have one great game this weekend. Now wether that translates into a W remains to be seen, especially if Stoa can't go. We've seen games in the past few seasons against SCSU where the Gophers have played great hockey, couldn't score, then SCSU turns around and pops one in and ends up stealing the game in the end. I wouldn't be shocked to see that this weekend. Hopefully Kangas is getting massage on his neck!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad