Brent Borgen-Michael Olson-Nick Oslund

Oliver Lauridsen-Garrett Raboin
Sam Zabkowicz-Chris Hepp
Nic Rioux-David Carlisle

Jase Weslosky
Dan Dunn

mnhowitzer

Jul 7, 2006
Nowhere to go but up after tonight for the Huskies Rabid....good luck to your boys tomorrow night. IMO that game ended when Kangas shut the door on the 5 on 3 with a couple incredible saves.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Ok, without getting too detailed here, let me know just say Rabid that the Huskies gave a pretty good effort on Saturday. Except, Motz really needs to work on the defense and the PK. The Gophers IMO won it on both of those. But on a more positive note, glad to see my boy Ryan Lasch back in the scoring groove again. :nod:

I've gotta tell you though, that was one of the whackiest games I've seen either team involved in some time. In fact, I'm not sure which was the whackier game that I saw yesterday, the Huskies-Gophers or the Badgers-Tigers. :huh:

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
The D is a work in progress there is no doubt about that. I'd hoped that the growing pains these guys are going through would be less then what they are but they aren't and Husky fans just have to deal with that. The fight they showed in the third was great but I wish I could have seen it in the 2nd period, then maybe we could have pulled that game out.
Lasch has been amazing lately, since the Mankato series Dec 5-6, he's got 9 goals and 8 assists in those 10 games. The talent is there on both sides for these guys but for the most part the experience is not, especially on defense. But these guys will get better and they'll be better players by going through what they are going through right now.
What I don't get is the people calling for Motzko's head and screaming that we have no talent on defense. It must be nice to write off guys after half a season, especially when we play 4 first year guys (yes Hepp is a transfer but this is his first year with us) on defense pretty much every night.

Last edited:

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
HUSKIES LINEUP

(SCSU's outlook was altered in practice this week when several players went down to injury. Michael Olson and Craig Gaudet each were sidelined by slap shots off the stick of Oliver Lauridsen. And Jared Festler, who missed several games recently with a sprained ankle, re-injured himself as well. None of the three made the trip and the Huskies took all eight available defensemen instead. Brett Barta is available after missing last weekend with a shoulder injury, and Jon Ammerman also is available.)

Jordy Christian-Aaron Marvin-Ryan Lasch
Travis Novak-Garrett Roe-Tony Mosey
John Swanson-Drew LeBlanc-Brian Volpei
Mitch Ryan-Brent Borgen-Nick Oslund

David Carlisle-Garrett Raboin
Sam Zabkowicz-Chris Hepp
Oliver Lauridsen-Nic Rioux

Jase Weslosky
Dan Dunn

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Didn't think we put up 10 on CC in a weekend and really didn't think we'd hang 6 on Bachman tonight. They continue to be hot one weekend cold the next. Hopefully they can snap out of that against the Sioux at home next weekend.
Congrats to LeBlanc on his first career hat-trick tonight.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Didn't think we put up 10 on CC in a weekend and really didn't think we'd hang 6 on Bachman tonight. They continue to be hot one weekend cold the next. Hopefully they can snap out of that against the Sioux at home next weekend.
Congrats to LeBlanc on his first career hat-trick tonight.
I'm hoping they will be cold next weekend obviously.Really though I have said all along that the Huskies have to much talent not to be a top 5 team in the league.This could be their turning point but it doesn't get any easier with the surging SIOUX coming to the cement center this coming weekend.The SIOUX looked sloppy and out of sync last nite but still managed to steal a point from #1 Denver.Nice to see they can gain something on a less than average nite.This weekend could end up being a track meet and that will make for some entertaining hockey.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I'm hoping they will be cold next weekend obviously.Really though I have said all along that the Huskies have to much talent not to be a top 5 team in the league.This could be their turning point but it doesn't get any easier with the surging SIOUX coming to the cement center this coming weekend.The SIOUX looked sloppy and out of sync last nite but still managed to steal a point from #1 Denver.Nice to see they can gain something on a less than average nite.This weekend could end up being a track meet and that will make for some entertaining hockey.

It really could be a track meet. Only team to put up more than 3 on the Sioux since December is SCSU. If the D plays well and Weslosky plays like he did Saturday we have a shot, if they don't I doubt it will matter how much we put up much like the Saturday game against the Gophers.
But SCSU is averaging a scary 4.6 goals per game at home, which hasn't been done by a Husky team since Hartigan, Dicas and Malone were here.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Recruit Update

Milan: 43 pts (19G 24A) 30 PIM in 48 games for Penticton (BCHL)
Oliver: 2 pts (1G 1A) 11 PIM in 11 games for Fargo (USHL)
Eddy: 40 pts (15G 25A) 44 PIM in 36 games for Sioux Falls (USHL) (leads team)
Johnson: 19 pts (6G 13A) +18 69 PIM in 32 games for Green Bay (USHL)
Gravel: 7 pts (0G 7A) +2 27 PIM in 42 games for Marquette (NAHL)
Ravndalen: 17 pts (5G 12A) 21 PIM in 24 games for Alexandria (NAHL)
Lee: 14-12-2 2.60 GAA .911 SV% for Fargo (USHL)

Hanowski: 57 points (33G 24A) in 14 games for Little Falls
Oliver: 4 points (2G 2A) in 2 games for Roseau (injured)

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
First shutout of the Sioux in nearly 9 years. Great game for St. Cloud, most comfortable I've seen them all year. Keep the momentum going.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
First shutout of the Sioux in nearly 9 years. Great game for St. Cloud, most comfortable I've seen them all year. Keep the momentum going.
Nice win for your Huskies last nite despite getting outshot 38-18.The SIOUX need to win tonite for the pairwise or it could come down to having to win the final five to get in the big tourney.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Nice win for your Huskies last nite despite getting outshot 38-18.The SIOUX need to win tonite for the pairwise or it could come down to having to win the final five to get in the big tourney.

Welcome to my nightmare. Being a close second in the W these days doesn't give one great confidence for making the playoffs this year.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
The Final Five could be a lot of fun as I could see 3 of the 5 teams in it needing to win it in order to make the NCAA's. Not a great performance but a decent effort. I was disappointed in Weslosky. After making 36 saves and getting the shutout he let in 3 I thought he should have saved and really looked like he had no idea where the puck was going all night long. I think the Defense is making strides and that can only help us. The next two series are huge and I don't think we can afford a loss to MTU or UAA, we need to sweep both series.
I'll be at the Final Five regardless but I hope my Huskies can get there.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Recruit Update

Milan: 47 pts (21G 26A) 30 PIM in 50 games for Penticton (BCHL) (leading rookie scorer in league)
Eddy: 39 pts (15G 24A) 44 PIM in 38 games for Sioux Falls (USHL) (leads team)
Johnson: 21 pts (6G 15A) +17 69 PIM in 34 games for Green Bay (USHL) (leads team in D scoring)
Gravel: 8 pts (0G 8A) +3 27 PIM in 44 games for Marquette (NAHL)
Ravndalen: 17 pts (5G 12A) 23 PIM in 26 games for Alexandria (NAHL)
Lee: 15-12-2 2.55 GAA .913 SV% 1 SO for Fargo (USHL)

Hanowski: 70 points (41G 29A) in 17 games for Little Falls (2nd leading scorer in state)
Oliver: 4 points (2G 2A) in 2 games for Roseau (injured)
Benik: 88 points (55G 33A) in 21 games for St. Francis (leading scorer in state)

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
The Final Five could be a lot of fun as I could see 3 of the 5 teams in it needing to win it in order to make the NCAA's. Not a great performance but a decent effort. I was disappointed in Weslosky. After making 36 saves and getting the shutout he let in 3 I thought he should have saved and really looked like he had no idea where the puck was going all night long. I think the Defense is making strides and that can only help us. The next two series are huge and I don't think we can afford a loss to MTU or UAA, we need to sweep both series.
I'll be at the Final Five regardless but I hope my Huskies can get there.
Tell me which 3.One was deflected of a SIOUX players foot.One was a rocket from Kozek.One was a rebound goal where he had no chance on and Duncans he was screened.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Tell me which 3.One was deflected of a SIOUX players foot.One was a rocket from Kozek.One was a rebound goal where he had no chance on and Duncans he was screened.

The deflected one also hit the post so lucky bounce there. The Kozek shot Weslosky went to his knees before the shot was taken so Kozek knew to shoot high, he doesn't drop so quick he can make the glove catch. The Duncan one may have been a screen, especially after Hepp went down from Genoway's shot but he was standing upright with his legs together and it was easy for Duncan to put it far side, again if he's in position he can get the pad out. The rebound one, well the rebound shouldn't have gone out 50 freaking feet. Mario should have never been able to take that shot, especially with the SCSU D covering the first 2 players. Also on that shot, Mario went high over his shoulder because Weslosky was still down.
There are some nights he's on, like Friday but when he's not he can be downright scary and last night he was because he looked like he had no clue where the puck was going all night.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
The deflected one also hit the post so lucky bounce there. The Kozek shot Weslosky went to his knees before the shot was taken so Kozek knew to shoot high, he doesn't drop so quick he can make the glove catch. The Duncan one may have been a screen, especially after Hepp went down from Genoway's shot but he was standing upright with his legs together and it was easy for Duncan to put it far side, again if he's in position he can get the pad out. The rebound one, well the rebound shouldn't have gone out 50 freaking feet. Mario should have never been able to take that shot, especially with the SCSU D covering the first 2 players. Also on that shot, Mario went high over his shoulder because Weslosky was still down.
There are some nights he's on, like Friday but when he's not he can be downright scary and last night he was because he looked like he had no clue where the puck was going all night.
I will give you Mario's one with the huge rebound but definitely not Kozek's.The guy has a rocket and Weslkosky probably didn't even see it.Duncan shot from his favorite spot and has burned many a goalie from there.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I will give you Mario's one with the huge rebound but definitely not Kozek's.The guy has a rocket and Weslkosky probably didn't even see it.Duncan shot from his favorite spot and has burned many a goalie from there.

Whether they are rockets or a favorite spot is irrelevant to me. He wasn't in position to make the save and that's on him.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Workman like sweep and now a much needed week off to heal guys like Festler, Zabkowicz and Barta.
On the recruiting front, Joey Benik broke Festler's single season goal mark, he now has 63 on the year and Ben Hanowski is 8 points away from breaking Johnny Pohl's career scoring record after breaking Dave Spehar's career goal record earlier this year.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Recruit Update

Milan: 57 pts (25G 32A) 38 PIM in 60 games for Penticton (BCHL) (leading rookie scorer in league) (regular season over)
Eddy: 47 pts (17G 30A) 46 PIM in 45 games for Sioux Falls (USHL) (leads team)
Johnson: 24 pts (6G 18A) +22 88 PIM in 42 games for Green Bay (USHL) (leads team in D scoring)
Jensen: 16 points (2G 14A) +27 27 PIM in 32 games for Green Bay (USHL)
Gravel: 9 pts (2G 7A) +3 27 PIM in 49 games for Marquette (NAHL)
Ravndalen: 21 pts (6G 15A) 29 PIM in 33 games for Alexandria (NAHL)
Benik: 7 points (2G 5A) 6 PIM in 17 games for Minnesota (MNJHL)
Lee: 18-13-3 2.60 GAA .913 SV% 1 SO for Fargo (USHL)

Hanowski: 110 points (57G 53A) in 25 games for Little Falls (leading scorer in state)
Oliver: 14 points (4G 10A) in 8 games for Roseau
Benik: 101 points (65G 36A) in 27 games for St. Francis (2nd leading scorer in state) (season over)

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Gonna be without Zabs and Rioux this weekend, that hurts the D-core a lot.

The Huskies leave Thursday morning, snow permitting, for Denver. Two players who won't be on the flight will be defensemen Sam Zabkowicz and Nic Rioux. Zabkowicz, who is still suffering the effects of a concussion suffered Feb. 7 at Alaska Anchorage, had hoped to return this weekend against the fifth-ranked Pioneers. And Rioux, who practiced on Monday at the National Hockey Center but missed workouts Tuesday and Wednesday at the Municipal Athletic Complex, suddenly began experiencing pain from an infection that settled in his left elbow. The complication was unexpected because Rioux had not been cut or otherwise injured on his arm before it began to swell.

"The frustrating thing for us is those are two guys who would be in there this weekend -- guys we need," Huskies coach Bob Motzko said after Wednesday's workout. "(Zabkowicz) has missed three weeks of practice right now, so you don't know how soon he's going to be back. And Rioux? C'mon. Give me an injury, at least something we can expect. Not some infection that comes up out of nowhere."

Brett Barta, who missed the past seven games with a shoulder injury, is expected to return. And forward Jared Festler, who has been plagued by a high ankle sprain since before New Year's Day, will be back.

But suddenly SCSU's sometimes patchy defensive corps has sprung a leak again.

Medical personnel worked on Rioux's arm the past couple of days, treating him for the infection and trying to drain the resulting pus from his system. It wasn't pretty, and even led to some gallows humor from his teammates. Chris Hepp, for example, said Rioux's arm looked like he had "elephantitis."

Neither Rioux or Zabkowicz are ruled out for the regular-season finale series against MSU-Mankato, but they'll be behind this weekend as the remaining seven healthy defensemen make the trip. It likely means a third consecutive appearance for junior Craig Gaudet, who has an assist in each of his three games this season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What's the word on Joey Benik? I saw a clip of him scoring the record breaking goal on FSN during the Gophers game, does anyone know his B-day? I assume he's a 2010 draft eligible?

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
What's the word on Joey Benik? I saw a clip of him scoring the record breaking goal on FSN during the Gophers game, does anyone know his B-day? I assume he's a 2010 draft eligible?

Benik just finished his junior season so yes he's a 2010 kid. I don't know if he'll get drafted next year if he stays at St. Francis but if he proves himself in the USHL he could get picked. I don't expect him in a Husky uni until 2011 at the earliest.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Jordy Christian-Aaron Marvin-Ryan Lasch
Jared Festler-Garrett Roe-Travis Novak
John Swanson-Drew LeBlanc-Brian Volpei
Brent Borgen-Michael Olson-Nick Oslund

Brett Barta-Garrett Raboin
Craig Gaudet-Chris Hepp
Oliver Lauridsen-David Carlisle

Jase Weslosky backed up by Dan Dunn

Extra skaters on the trip include forward Tony Mosey and defenseman Jon Ammerman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad