Scrivens threatens to Fight Anyone that Says Intentionally Tanking

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
The Oilers haven't finished last in the league for 4 years now (not since 2011).

Unfortunately (draft wise), I think their days of finishing last are over :(

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
The Oilers haven't finished last in the league for 4 years now (not since 2011).

Unfortunately (draft wise), I think their days of finishing last are over :(

I think we have some more clarity on that tonight - the Sabres have 2 more wins this year but the Oilers have 6 more OT losses lol

One of the Oilers wins was a 3-2 victory in Buffalo.

Maybe Buffalo takes this one tonight if there is a god.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think we have some more clarity on that tonight - the Sabres have 2 more wins this year but the Oilers have 6 more OT losses lol

One of the Oilers wins was a 3-2 victory in Buffalo.

Maybe Buffalo takes this one tonight if there is a god.

They (Buffalo) will start trading a bunch of their decent assets soon, so even if we are close now, they will be far lower than us come the end of the season.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
(Invasive truck ads cause brain tumors.)

He would be 100% correct, this franchise has never once tried to tank.

Tanking suggest you intentionally make moves to get a better draft choice, moves that you would otherwise not make.

The Oilers each year have adde FA, drafted players, made trades, hired coaches to get better and each year they have fallen flat on their ass. Four years ago they said 'we don't need any more draft choices, we need nhl players.'

Being legitimately awful is not tanking.

When your POHO pretty much has it in his job description which I specifically cited and the team offloads talent every year its hard to argue otherwise.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
They (Buffalo) will start trading a bunch of their decent assets soon, so even if we are close now, they will be far lower than us come the end of the season.

A lot of western teams will be acquiring those assets who will play against Edmonton and the Oilers I am sure will be moving a few of their own as well.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
His responses are fine. Did he hurt anyone's feelings here?

Stupid fans do jump to the conclusion that players are tanking and not trying hard enough, and those fans deserve these types of responses from those players.

It's good to see.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Stupid fans do jump to the conclusion that players are tanking and not trying hard enough, and those fans deserve these types of responses from those players.

It's good to see.

If you think the players compete level has been consistently up to snuff this season I don't think you watch the level of what is actually competitive play in the NHL.

Watching Kings-Hawks last night is like seeing a whole different league and standard of play.

I think that such teams get bored even playing against us kind of limits the view on how they would eviscerate this clubs level of compete on most nights.

Theres not even a handful of players that have given it their honest best effort this season game in and game out. A lot of the players have more. We see it occasionally, not at all consistently.

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
Reporter: "Are you setting up the team for a high draft pick?"
MacT: "No of course not"
Reporter: "So you and the rest of the organization are heinously bad at their jobs year in year out?

I'm surprised a reporter has never actually said this line of conversation.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

Um, what decent assets? Have you seen their roster?

To be fair it's not like we have any decent assets to trade away, except Petry for a draft pick.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Tambo years they definitely were not trying to improve the team to any major degree... they were rolling with youth and fillers until the youth developed.

The team was basically slowly developing and improving each year... it was slow but steady progress.

Now in the MacT years they are just incompetent. MacT's roster deletions/additions have resulted in a much worse team over what was there before he arrived on scene as GM. Cherry on top of course was Eakins who royally and completely ****ed up any progress this team was making before he took the helm.

Now the Oilers under Nelson are basically back to where the team was under Krueger... and I will be optimistic and assume that if this team had Nelson as HC all season they would have been much more competitive and been closer to an 80-85 pt team than the 50 pt team they were heading towards under Eakins.

So long story short... tank mode was certainly engaged when Tambo was on duty... they did as little as possible in the way of decent roster improvements in order to get high draft picks and let the internal development take place.

Now... MacT has just totally **** the bed... to the point where even just for optics sake MacT's head was likely to roll to appease fans... so Eakins was turfed... in comes Nelson.

I don't doubt at all the team wouldn't love McEichel now since the season is obviously toast but they genuinely thought this team would be much better this year with the changes they made and with Eakins rookie year behind him... wrong.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
One thing I'll give the players credit for is that i Honestly believe they're trying. Not like a "above and beyond" trying that we tell our grand kids about or anything. But Itheyre a lot closer to that then deliberately being bad.

Yea that sets up a whole other "then they're really that bad" thing. Which is its own thing.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
He has the build of a Junior High School nerd. just saying.

Plenty of random anger on him though.

I like the player, I don't like some of his angry responses. Jersey tossing, tank stating etc.

if he told me the next person to accuse them of tanking was going to get their computer hacked id feel threatened.

also i agree with everything you say unless he is intentionally passive aggresively attacking his bosses. I dont think he is because he is a marginal talent given a golden opportunity

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

It's good to see.

watching the kings hawks last night makes me think we havent seen all out competition all year.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
The Edmonton Oilers have not once ever tried to tank a season. Each year they have been legitimately terrible the team and gm has tried to improve the team in the off season and has not dumped enough 'good' talent at the deadline to be considered to tank.

(Invasive truck ads cause brain tumors.)

He would be 100% correct, this franchise has never once tried to tank.

Tanking suggest you intentionally make moves to get a better draft choice, moves that you would otherwise not make.

The Oilers each year have adde FA, drafted players, made trades, hired coaches to get better and each year they have fallen flat on their ass. Four years ago they said 'we don't need any more draft choices, we need nhl players.'

Being legitimately awful is not tanking.

I'll agree with you on this season, this isnt tanking its just legitimately terrible, but I will wholeheartedly disagree with your assertion that the Oilers have never tanked a season.

Thats just nonsense.

- Fall for Hall
- Fail for Nail
- Dishonor for Connor

You do not get an ingrained losing culture in a team by falling into it ass-backwards, you get it because losing is not only deemed acceptable, its encouraged.

This team has tanked for years. The ultimate problem is they've lost so many games for so long that they've actually forgotten how to win.

Are the Oilers tanking now? Of course not. But what they are now is a result of their previous actions and intentions.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I'll agree with you on this season, this isnt tanking its just legitimately terrible, but I will wholeheartedly disagree with your assertion that the Oilers have never tanked a season.

Thats just nonsense.

- Fall for Hall
- Fail for Nail
- Dishonor for Connor

You do not get an ingrained losing culture in a team by falling into it ass-backwards, you get it because losing is not only deemed acceptable, its encouraged.

This team has tanked for years. The ultimate problem is they've lost so many games for so long that they've actually forgotten how to win.

Are the Oilers tanking now? Of course not. But what they are now is a result of their previous actions and intentions.

Those slogans are strictly fan made though, we haven't been tanking we as everyone else has said. We are that bad

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I dont think they ever tanked they've just been that bad they had no other option.

Seriously what talent have we brought into the league over the past dozen years? What d-men making any sort of impact? A goaltender? Center? We've got a few wingers but on they're own that's not going to bring much success.

Under Kevin Lowe's leadership this team failed to develop any talent and that's why this team sucks. You can blame it on the EIG if you want prior to Katz taking over and Tambellini after he took over as GM but the one constant is Kevin Lowe and the teams performance after Pronger left makes it pretty clear that the "losing culture" didnt just develop overnight.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I dont know if Scrivens threatening to fight is suppose to be intimidating.

I get the feeling that Tommy Salo could speed bag Scrivens if it came to that.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Dumb question to ask a player. They aren't so invested in the franchise that they are going to throw games for a draft pick. Might as well just ask their opinion on who to draft, who to hire as a coach, or what airline they should get their charter flights from for all the relevance their opinion has to management/franchise controlled aspects

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
tumblr_md5h6phUZY1rnvwt1.gif

Lowe's reaction to Scrivens not understanding what the plan is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad