Scrivens threatens to Fight Anyone that Says Intentionally Tanking

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The Edmonton Oilers have not once ever tried to tank a season. Each year they have been legitimately terrible the team and gm has tried to improve the team in the off season and has not dumped enough 'good' talent at the deadline to be considered to tank.

Ergot

Pinko
Oct 4, 2014
GVA
Much cheaper ways to tank than what the Oil did this year. Pure incompetence is the culprit here.

Also, I can see why Scriv would be pissed by the suggestion. The article magnified what he said into, "I'll fight anyone who suggests we're tanking," but the sentiment was more, "I work my ass off for this team, while you smugly make cracks about tanking from the comfort of your living room, so **** you."

I think Scriv is destined to be a backup rather than a starter, but I like that he's articulate and competitive. Still one of my favourite current Oilers.

OilerInOttawa

Dec 8, 2014
I'll be surprised if we don't mop the floor with the Sabres tonight. If the team plays the way they've shown they're capable of under Nelson, Buffalo doesn't stand a chance.

Anyone that wants to see the team fail for the sake of a draft pick should find another team.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So Scrivs wants to fight Lowe it seems.. Glove\blocker vs 6 rings

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I think the suggestion that players could intentionally tank is stupid. Management on the other hand...

I would suggest the Oilers management team has been intentionally tanking in one form or another since 2007.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
now all we need are some more adult skaters who care about pride and self respect as much as scrivens

dem

Mar 17, 2002
This. Look at Arizona. Dubnyk was looking like a #1 goalie, so he got dealt. Buffalo put together a team designed to lose, no matter what Nolan, or the players do

And MacT refused to acquire a veteran center until the tank was secured.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
The fact that any human being with a normally functioning brain, normal movement of arms and legs, can speak, would even FATHOM or ask a player about said players tanking...BOGGLES MY MIND.

That is a GM question.

"Yeah boys, lets go out there and play bad so we can lose our jobs to some young kids! We won't have any trade value either!"

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I bet management is actively trying to tank.. maybe not the players

No, just no. This is giving the worst front office in all of pro sports and excuse for being bad.

When you sign Pouliot, trade for Purcell, trade for nikitn and sign fayne you are not at all trying to tank. This has never been the oilers intention, they have always legitimately stunk on their own terms after trying in vain to get better.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No, just no. This is giving the worst front office in all of pro sports and excuse for being bad.

When you sign Pouliot, trade for Purcell, trade for nikitn and sign fayne you are not at all trying to tank. This has never been the oilers intention, they have always legitimately stunk on their own terms after trying in vain to get better.

I don't think they tried to tank going into the year, but once they realized they failed in the off-season they didn't do anything to improve their team and then moved a key vet in Perron it appears they were okay with tanking.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I don't think they tried to tank going into the year, but once they realized they failed in the off-season they didn't do anything to improve their team and then moved a key vet in Perron it appears they were okay with tanking.

I thought they moved Perron because 'he didn't want to be here' 'would not resign, 'was trouble in the dressing room'.

The excuses and reasons for moves this team makes changes with the wind direction. This team was poorly coached, is poorly managed is underachieving and plain suck. MacT got all bent out of shape when someone even brought that up.

Team stinks, management stinks no 'tanking' involved.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
Interesting quotes - man, the Sun is a rough news paper.

Sounds like it was written by ornery old ladies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't even know that management is actually trying to tank, they just are that bad at putting a team together or thinking what they do will actually work.

You don't know?

Why is it that our POHO has had this in his performed duties job description for several years running:

In recent years, Lowe has been assisting the strategic rebuild of one of the outstanding franchises in the League and was an integral part of the management and scouting team that selected Taylor Hall with Edmonton’s first ever number one overall draft pick in 2010, as well as Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in 2011 and Nail Yakupov in 2012

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=33071

Ask yourself what the above is stating.

lol that the idiots running this org actually think its prudent to state something like that in its website. Any fans of competitive hockey should run screaming from such a franchise.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Scrivens is an idiot if he thinks the team he's been playing for hasn't been tanking all these years.

(Invasive truck ads cause brain tumors.)

He would be 100% correct, this franchise has never once tried to tank.

Tanking suggest you intentionally make moves to get a better draft choice, moves that you would otherwise not make.

The Oilers each year have adde FA, drafted players, made trades, hired coaches to get better and each year they have fallen flat on their ass. Four years ago they said 'we don't need any more draft choices, we need nhl players.'

Being legitimately awful is not tanking.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

exactly... mact isn't some machiavellian mastermind, he is just freaking TERRIBLE at his job, full stop, end of story

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad