Scrivens Pulled 5 min into game

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Clutch loss by the Oilers. A game against Arizona, the 2nd worst team in the west, these are those high-impact games where 1st overall picks are made. Edmonton did not disappoint, really brought their extensive experience to bear and showed the Yotes how tanking is done. McDoiler is becoming more and more inevitable every day.

Arizona has 10 points off the Oilers this year. Edmonton knows how to lose when it matters.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Not only are the Oils bad, they're getting handed losses by Horcoff and Gagner...If this isn't rock bottom I don't know what is.

Aug 3, 2010
Not only are the Oils bad, they're getting handed losses by Horcoff and Gagner...If this isn't rock bottom I don't know what is.

Well, Messier/Gretzky/Kurri/Coffey (aka the core responsible for Lowe's six rings) haven't actively/publicLy disassociated themselves from the organization and its history… yet. #oilerspositives

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
How sad is it, that even with only one win since November 6th (iirc), my beloved Hurricanes were only one point ahead of them starting today :laugh:

Then we had to go screw it up and beat New Jersey lol.

Aceonfire*

Don't forget Dubnyk..

Ex-Oilers just love to make the team look even worse.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Embarrassing, I like many others enjoy reading the GDT's for their dark humor. But this is downright embarrassing. I don't know how Mact shows his face, he spent a lot of money on a team that might be the worst I've ever seen in my hockey viewing lifetime.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Embarrassing, I like many others enjoy reading the GDT's for their dark humor. But this is downright embarrassing. I don't know how Mact shows his face, he spent a lot of money on a team that might be the worst I've ever seen in my hockey viewing lifetime.

I'll go out on a limb here and say Edmonton may be the worst run team in league history. If not, they are definitely amongst the top five. It's a bloody shame too because the fans deserve better. Even as a Nucks fan, it's hard to even find this level of incompetency funny. One can only hope the embarrassment will eventually get Katz to let go of his 80s Oilers fantasy.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I posted something like this the other day on the Oiler forum.

It's like there is some sort of cosmic injustice going on. No matter how bad it gets for the Oilers, there is always a way things can somehow hurt just a tiny bit more with this team.

It's not enough that they've lost 8 in a row, 19 of 20 games. They need Sam Gagner to put up a 4 point night against them. Or have Tobias Reider, a player they drafted in a mid round but traded away score two short handed goals on the same powerplay. Or have Devan Dubnyk go 3-0 against the Oilers stopping 90 of 93 shots against while Scrivens and Fasth don't look like they can stop a beach ball.

Or have former Oilers Shawn Horcoff, Ales Hemsky and Eric Cole all contribute to a Stars win in a shootout.

Or have the top two point producers in the league right now be players that were selected one spot after players the Oilers took (Voracek taken one spot after Gagner, Seguin one spot after Hall).

There is always a new low for this team. No matter how bad things look, they always manage to end up looking worse somehow. It's crazy. There will always be a new rock bottom for the Oilers. Give it 6 months and I'm sure we'll see a whole new low.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal

It's like there is some sort of cosmic injustice going on. No matter how bad it gets for the Oilers, there is always a way things can somehow hurt just a tiny bit more with this team.

It's not enough that they've lost 8 in a row, 19 of 20 games. They need Sam Gagner to put up a 4 point night against them. Or have Tobias Reider, a player they drafted in a mid round but traded away score two short handed goals on the same powerplay. Or have Devan Dubnyk go 3-0 against the Oilers stopping 90 of 93 shots against while Scrivens and Fasth don't look like they can stop a beach ball.

Or have former Oilers Shawn Horcoff, Ales Hemsky and Eric Cole all contribute to a Stars win in a shootout.

Or have the top two point producers in the league right now be players that were selected one spot after players the Oilers took (Voracek taken one spot after Gagner, Seguin one spot after Hall).

There is always a new low for this team. No matter how bad things look, they always manage to end up looking worse somehow. It's crazy. There will always be a new rock bottom for the Oilers. Give it 6 months and I'm sure we'll see a whole new low.

If you think it's bad now just wait until Yakupov is traded. That one will sting (no pun intended).

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
There was a Colorado vs Calgary game back in November 1999 I believe, and Peter Forsberg had just returned from shoulder surgery for his first game of the season, and literally under 5 minutes into the game Forsy had scored a goal and assisted two others to make it 3-0 and chase the goalie from the net, I wanna say it was Fred Braithwaite?

DayTripper

Jul 9, 2013
DPR of HF
These are exciting times for Oilers fans. The Edmonton Oilers draft lottery party should be great this year.

[NHL]66161[/NHL]

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Hey Carolina and Buffalo... *this* is how you tank

*play 14-15 "highlight" video.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I don't know why Edmonton's young players aren't held more accountable than they are. Was their development rushed and poorly supported? Maybe. Nuge, Hall and Eberle are all having passable seasons, but they should be well beyond that point in their careers by now. Yakupov is a statistical black hole. Aside from misgauging the talent level of every support player they seem to bring in (Pouliot, Purcell, Perron, Gordon, Fayne, Nikitin, every reason for these guys to succeed in Edmonton and yet they don't...), I would say the Oilers biggest flaw remains the fact that their young stars don't seem capable of taking the reins at any point.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't know why Edmonton's young players aren't held more accountable than they are. Was their development rushed and poorly supported? Maybe. Nuge, Hall and Eberle are all having passable seasons, but they should be well beyond that point in their careers by now. Yakupov is a statistical black hole. Aside from misgauging the talent level of every support player they seem to bring in (Pouliot, Purcell, Perron, Gordon, Fayne, Nikitin, every reason for these guys to succeed in Edmonton and yet they don't...), I would say the Oilers biggest flaw remains the fact that their young stars don't seem capable of taking the reins at any point.

Honestly, I don't think any of those young guys are playing that well. They can put up points but lack everything else. I'm not saying they don't try, they do, they hustle and play hard, but they are just always going to the wrong place: flying out of the dzone to try and get a breakaway, going to the wrong guy, chasing the puck.

The only guy on the team who looks like he has any clue of how to play responsibly is Gordon.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
I wish people would stop saying this is a tank. That lets management off the hook.

They are actually trying. This is the best team they could assemble.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

That was one of the most depressing things I have ever read. Thank you for that lol.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Arizona has 10 points off the Oilers this year. Edmonton knows how to lose when it matters.
Good catch! The Yotes are indeed 5-0-0 against the Oilers, and 7-18-4 against the rest of the league. Being terrible certainly helps when it comes to high draft picks, but being terrible against the worst teams in the league is where it really matters, and the Oilers knock that out of the park. If those games were flipped, Edmonton would be virtually out of the running, way ahead of the Yotes and Canes, but as it as they're looking like the McDavid favourites.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

There's some poetic continuity here though. These guys were helping the Oilers lose when they were in Edmonton, and continue to do so today, even after being traded.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The thing I find really weird is the perceived complacency of the city in regards to this mess. Vancouver had 1 ****** season and they did a wholesale change.

It really is like a bad, abusive, emotionally unsatisfying relationship. RNH and Hall are the older kids and Yakupov is the young child who has been screwed up by all the yelling matches and plate smashing.

I know people are sick of talking about the Oilers but it is one of the most interesting cases in modern sports when you think about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad