Post-Game Talk: Scrivens can't keep legs closed Oilers lose.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I don't know why Nelson kept him in. I noticed right off the bat he was off. I would have yanked him after the second goal.

I actually think he intentionally threw that game for some reason.

As bad as our D was any other goalie and we win that game.

Blacktape

Aug 3, 2003
Saskatoon
I want the entire upper management staff out of Edmonton asap

It was painfully obvious that upper management is really hands on even at the coaching level.
Brossoit should have been rewarded for his efforts last game yet Scrivens was selected instead
Then Scrivens should have been pulled before the start of the third as he was having a subpar performance
IMO Oilers would have won this game with a goalie change
Which leads back to the first point
When given the direction PLAY Scrivens or ELSE seems to be apparent. Coach is still being micromanaged agree or not agree?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It was painfully obvious that upper management is really hands on even at the coaching level.
Brossoit should have been rewarded for his efforts last game yet Scrivens was selected instead
Then Scrivens should have been pulled before the start of the third as he was having a subpar performance
IMO Oilers would have won this game with a goalie change
Which leads back to the first point
When given the direction PLAY Scrivens or ELSE seems to be apparent. Coach is still being micromanaged agree or not agree?

This has already been explained.

Brossoit was up here on 'emergency recall rules' due to Fasth's injury. The moment that Fasth was declared healthy by the medical staff, the Oilers had no choice but to immediately send Brossoit back to OKC.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
So why not give Fasth one last chance to prove himself? Anyone could've seen Scrivens giving up numerous goals.

I actually thought Fasth was going to start but I guess MacT figured Fasth wasn't coming back next year, no point.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
yak scored, Ebs scored I am happy.

The D is AHL bad and the goalie is AHL quality as well even though he hasn't been in AHL for some time now.

Wow those goalis on Scrivens were nasty though. Vancouver fans are singing praises of Baertschi but really do his goals go in on a mediocre NHL starter?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The bottom line is that at this point Scrivens is a mess. The causation does not change that. You know and I know that the lack of D and Eakins stink is all over Scrivens like it was on Dubnyk last year. It won't change here in all likelihood IMO. Until MacT gets at least a decent defense in front of him I don't want to see Brossoit here, he's too promising a young player to just hang him out to dry night after night.

Brossoit for me is at least a year away from being an NHL backup. Let him become a dominant AHL goalie first and then mentor behind a solid #1 in the NHL for a year or more. Bachman is a career AHL goalie IMO. Their NHL results are not particularity significant.

I think Scrivens would be ok as a backup if 2 things happen....the D gets an overhaul and an experienced #1 gets brought in. Craig Anderson would be a great fit for many reasons not the least of which is that he manages the game very well.

If those 2 things happen I see Scrivens regaining his confidence and turning his game around. He is not a #1 goalie especially behind this train wreck of a team.
He would be fine as a backup that plays 25+ games behind a solid vet and a decent defence..

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Only thing funnier than Scrivens' performance last night was his counterpart's performance at the other end of the ice.

Good thing the Nucks got Lack, because if they have to rely on Miller in the playoffs it's game over.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Only thing funnier than Scrivens' performance last night was his counterpart's performance at the other end of the ice.

Good thing the Nucks got Lack, because if they have to rely on Miller in the playoffs it's game over.

Dude hasn't played in like 2 months. Was kinda expected.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nah, he's been shaky the entire season.

I remember a few games earlier in the season against the Oilers where he looked like crap.

Kinda sad then that he's better than any goaltender the Oilers have had since Roloson.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Kinda sad then that he's better than any goaltender the Oilers have had since Roloson.

Yeah.

Kinda sad that MacT would probably trade for him if given the chance, only to acquire a severely overpaid average goalie (which I guess is equivalent to a slightly overpaid horrible goalie like Scrivens).

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yeah.

Kinda sad that MacT would probably trade for him if given the chance, only to acquire a severely overpaid average goalie (which I guess is equivalent to a slightly overpaid horrible goalie like Scrivens).

It's funny reading Miller's stats though

I mean they aren't bad [definitely not Oilers bad] but there's nothing about them that shine Allstar to me.

I wonder if it's just the 2010 Olympic performance that raised his stock that high.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
Everything that was said about why and how Scrivens is bad, was said in equal measure about Dubnyk.

It's clearly not a problem with personnel, there's something wrong with what the organization is doing. Goalies are bad here. At eveything.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Everything that was said about why and how Scrivens is bad, was said in equal measure about Dubnyk.

It's clearly not a problem with personnel, there's something wrong with what the organization is doing. Goalies are bad here. At eveything.

Yup. This really couldnt be more obvious.

Time to stop thinking that the symptoms are the problem and look at the bigger picture....the cause.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
I PVR'd the game and of course watched it to the end. Bleh, what a sloppy game. Both goalies were craptastic. The Oilers AHL D of course had problems. Not exactly shocking. The forwards didn't play a lick of defense either.

Thankfully the Canucks mailed it in or that would have been ugly.

Yeah! Draft is coming again. Best moment of the season for 7 years.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Just saw this stat on the main boards, Nelson has this team go 6-5-2 in the last 13 games of this season, this is when the roster was in the worst shape it had been in all season due to injuries.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Just saw this stat on the main boards, Nelson has this team go 6-5-2 in the last 13 games of this season, this is when the roster was in the worst shape it had been in all season due to injuries.

Mact's proof that progress actually was made and good times are ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad