Post-Game Talk: Scrivens can't keep legs closed Oilers lose.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Mactavish really impressed with Broissolt, dropped his first hint that he thinks he may even be ready by next year. All off of one game. Guess that means he isn't bringing anybody else in. Mactavish just isn't capable of learning from his mistakes.:shakehead

Yeah, saw that

He did say "maybe not next year", but you can tell the door is open a crack a bit there.

Could end up being really ugly... well, uglier than usual :laugh:

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
My biggest fear is MacT is going to grossly overpay for a goalie.

Cause let's be honest for as bad as Scrivens was tonight, any goalie will eventually look bad behind this team. Game after game after game of giving up 5-bell chances.

Tretiak in his prime couldn't save this team.

I get the fear, particularly because this entire organization doesn't have a decent goalie scout anywhere within it (clearly), but on the other hand how many seasons in a row has bad goal tending sunk this club right out of the gate? The defence takes it's turn, but this year and last year really REALLY bad goaltending sucked all the life out of the team before we were 10 games into it.

Both have to be fixed.

sundog

Jun 17, 2007
He would do a hell of a lot better elsewhere, that's for sure.

When are some people going to learn that goalies confidence gets wrecked here. It's a team problem, not a Scrivens problem.
This isn't Scrivens fault, any goalie would crumble behind that efense (refuse to give them the D) and the efenseless forwards.

He has stunk but bringing in a goalie and not upgrading any other area is going to result in the same trash again next season unless that goalie is Price or Lundqvist.

This. 1000X this. The only thing I disagree with is that I don't believe Price or Lundqvist could save this team.

Scrivens was awful. But look at the team in front of him. When your two most experienced D-men are Schultz and Aulie...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
My biggest fear is MacT is going to grossly overpay for a goalie.

Cause let's be honest for as bad as Scrivens was tonight, any goalie will eventually look bad behind this team. Game after game after game of giving up 5-bell chances.

Tretiak in his prime couldn't save this team.

I'm not so sure about that.

I shouldn't have been longing for either one of our AHL goalies in a game with our 'starter' in net.

Jmask83

Oct 3, 2009
This. 1000X this. The only thing I disagree with is that I don't believe Price or Lundqvist could save this team.

Scrivens was awful. But look at the team in front of him. When your two most experienced D-men are Schultz and Aulie...

The D and Goaltending take turns screwing each other. Goalie plays like crap and D loses confidence. D plays like crap and Goalie loses confidence. Together they contribute to this craptastic season.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I shouldn't have been longing for either one of our AHL goalies in a game with our 'starter' in net.
Yep. Even Bachman only allowed 1 bad goal a game. Scrivens did it multiple times.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Seasons over. Sweep the front office. New management (minus Nicholson), new scouting, and if Nelson isn't supported then new coaching.

Time for my yearly vacation from NHL hockey. See you at the draft.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah, saw that

He did say "maybe not next year", but you can tell the door is open a crack a bit there.

Could end up being really ugly... well, uglier than usual :laugh:
Do he say maybe not next year? I could have sworn he did say maybe next year. I apologize if I got it wrong.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Forwards, D, goaltending, management, coaching all need to be improved.

I'd be surprised if we even improved one of those aspects in the off-season.

before the Petry trade, Nelson had the team .500 hockey for roughly 2months. Another guy or 2 like Pouliot is mainly what the forwards need for help.

D needs major help though, after that an upgrade in net is the next major issue.

sundog

Jun 17, 2007

:laugh: Fair enough.

But putting a great goalie on this team is like putting a world class running back on a football team with no offensive line. It's just not going to matter.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
i think this season is the least ive paid attention to hockey in my conscious life... thanks Oilers and staff.

see ya next year for more fails

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site

At least 4 goals that a NHL goalie should stop tonight...happens to often...never square to the shooter, panics in the net...no control...usually diving at the shooter and ending up on his stomach as a puck goes in....worst puck handling goalie I've ever seen..has been absolutely terrible all season...folded under the pressure of his 1St and only chance as a #1 goalie

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
before the Petry trade, Nelson had the team .500 hockey for roughly 2months. Another guy or 2 like Pouliot is mainly what the forwards need for help.

D needs major help though, after that an upgrade in net is the next major issue.

They still weren't very good. Yeah the players were traded, but I mean the team still gives up plenty of goals, can't hold leads, and the PK was icky.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Thus concludes the season from hell....thank god.

The worst season in franchise history and in typical Oilers fashion they can't even secure a franchise player .... and there was 2 of them!

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The D and Goaltending take turns screwing each other. Goalie plays like crap and D loses confidence. D plays like crap and Goalie loses confidence. Together they contribute to this craptastic season.

The D has always been the biggest issue and will continue to be until MacT brings in MEANINGFUL upgrades. There's a reason why goalies do much better elsewhere.

I'm also not convinced at all that the forward group is set, painfully soft and clueless defensively.

This team is just so far away from even being close to a bubble team. Any goalie brought in outside of a legit franchise goalie isn't going to make a huge difference.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Thankfully that season is finally over. Looking forward to some entertaining hockey now. Jets-Ducks series should be a good one.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
They still weren't very good. Yeah the players were traded, but I mean the team still gives up plenty of goals, can't hold leads, and the PK was icky.

I agree with you that player personel needs drastic improvements. But nothing will change if they only change the coach again. Nelson has gotten as much out of this group as any other capable NHL coach would have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad