Post-Game Talk: Scrivens can't keep legs closed Oilers lose.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I agree with you that player personel needs drastic improvements. But nothing will change if they only change the coach again. Nelson has gotten as much out of this group as any other capable NHL coach would have.

Oh I agree, don't get me wrong. The Oilers need an improvement in all areas.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Apathy has completely taken over my emotions when it comes to all things Oilers. I used to get absolutely livid when they would blow leads and lose games to Vancouver and Calgary. This season...I simply didnt care once they lost 7 straight. I've seen this movie way too many times, I know the script by heart, and it didnt change again tonight.

Funny what NHL goalies can do for a team. Vancouver, Calgary, New York Islanders obtain proven starters and look where they are. I get Miller would never have signed with Edmonton, but Hiller and Halak (the Isles obtained his rights for a 4th round pick) were available. But, the guy getting paid to make those decisions figured Scrivens and Fasth were feathers in the cap. I'm also not saying these goalies make the Oilers a playoff team, but they would probably have given them another 7-10 wins.

Last edited:

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
Scrivens is the least of this teams worries. The old boys club remain in management positions, and that won't be changing anytime soon.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
:laugh: Fair enough.

But putting a great goalie on this team is like putting a world class running back on a football team with no offensive line. It's just not going to matter.
I can dig what you are saying but Scrivens was by far the worst player on the ice. The D is a disaster but he isn't even a capable backup anymore, I tuned in with the hope of seeing Brossoit in net. A shooter tutor would have stopped half of those goals.:shakehead

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
We might get a different goalie next year, but management hasn't been able to fix this defense in 8 years, it's not going to happen in just one more summer either. Get ready for a few more years of sucking, everyone. Minimum.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He would do a hell of a lot better elsewhere, that's for sure.

When are some people going to learn that goalies confidence gets wrecked here. It's a team problem, not a Scrivens problem.
This isn't Scrivens fault, any goalie would crumble behind that efense (refuse to give them the D) and the efenseless forwards.

He has stunk but bringing in a goalie and not upgrading any other area is going to result in the same trash again next season unless that goalie is Price or Lundqvist.

100%

Scrivens is over playing virtually every shot. That's a goalie that has lost all of his confidence...just like Dubnyk before he left for greener pastures. This team is developing a pattern of dismantling goalies. Carey Price would be broken as well...its just a matter of time.

Oiler fans need to wake up to an uncomfortable reality...this 6 ring circus wrecks goalies.
I feel sorry for Scrivens.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Re the game...what a horribly played hockey game. Reminded me of a Pre Season game.

Fitting way to end the season. :help:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Re the game...what a horribly played hockey game. Reminded me of a Pre Season game.

Fitting way to end the season. :help:

It seemed as though Hughson and Simpson were treating it as such as well. It was like two friends having a beer and some casual conversation with a game on in the background for the most part.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It seemed as though Hughson and Simpson were treating it as such as well. It was like two friends having a beer and some casual conversation with a game on in the background for the most part.

Yeah...I dont think anyone took this game seriously.

I am sorry I watched it and I would have felt the same way if the Oilers had won.

Terrible hockey game...hockey with no intensity just inst worth watching IMO.

I found myself staying longer and longer on the Clippers/Memphis NBA game during commercials and in between periods...much better entertainment.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Scrivens is a quivering mess right at season's end, but looking at this hodge podge D corps in front of him tonight it's not like he had any backup.

Klefbom
Schultz
Marincin
Davidson
Aulie
Musil

I'm fairly confident in predicting that at most 2 of these 6 guys will be in the opening day lineup next year. At least 3 of them have no business being in the NHL right now, and I'm being generous with that.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Scrivens is a quivering mess right at season's end, but looking at this hodge podge D corps in front of him tonight it's not like he had any backup.

Klefbom
Schultz
Marincin
Davidson
Aulie
Musil

I'm fairly confident in predicting that at most 2 of these 6 guys will be in the opening day lineup next year. At least 3 of them have no business being in the NHL right now, and I'm being generous with that.

Yet Brossoit and Bachman fared better with the same group. Scrivens game is **** right now. He may rebound or he might not. What isn't up for debate is whether or not he's been playing well of late because he has been horrible.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yet Brossoit and Bachman fared better with the same group. Scrivens game is **** right now. He may rebound or he might not. What isn't up for debate is whether or not he's been playing well of late because he has been horrible.

Scrivens had had 2 years behind this terrible hockey team...he started out very good in his first season and faltered from there. Brossoit and Bachman have had 1 game and 4 games respectively.

Sample size matters. You cant take severely limited sample sizes (in reality irrelevant sample sizes) and draw conclusions on their play and compare them to Scrivens.

Apples and oranges Bryan.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Scrivens had had 2 years behind this terrible hockey team...he started out very good in his first season and faltered from there. Brossoit and Bachman have had 1 game and 4 games respectively.

Sample size matters. You cant take severely limited sample sizes (in reality irrelevant sample sizes) and draw conclusions on their play and compare them to Scrivens.

The bottom line is that at this point Scrivens is a mess. The causation does not change that. You know and I know that the lack of D and Eakins stink is all over Scrivens like it was on Dubnyk last year. It won't change here in all likelihood IMO. Until MacT gets at least a decent defense in front of him I don't want to see Brossoit here, he's too promising a young player to just hang him out to dry night after night.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
I passed out when we went up 4-2 or 5-3... I don't remember. I just know I said Ben "no lead is safe" Scrivens will find a way to **** it up. Sure enough even 5 goals can't get you a win with this guy. Absolute garbage goaltender. GTFO of here. **** this team, lol.

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
While it's true that Scrivens had a bad game, has had a few bad games, I think we need to look at the D in front of him. You put 4 actual NHL D-Men out there and remove 4 of those young AHL guy's and the game takes on a whole different look. Keep shots to the outside, clear the crease etc.

Don't be so quick to right of Scrivens, with proper support and a full season under good coaches he could be a very reliable back-up. That said I really hope they go out and land a #1 starter this summer and I fully expect them to have to overpay to do it.

It's the D where they really need to improve and everyone knows it. They won't get a true #1 but a couple of #2/3 seasoned D-Men would go a long ways to improving the team as well as the goaltenders.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Damned. While I was watching the game I was thinking to myself, "self.....Scrivy the momentum killer is going to mess things up." (Oilers were up by a couple at this point.) Sure enough, after a really good shift by a number of Oilers lines, BOOM. He let's in another patented weaksauce goal, just after the Oil scored.

In the back of my mind I was hoping Scrivens would screw up to put more pressure on MacT. And he came through.

I couldn't watch the rest of the game at that point, even though the Oilers were leading at the time.

:shakehead

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
My biggest fear is MacT is going to grossly overpay for a goalie.

Cause let's be honest for as bad as Scrivens was tonight, any goalie will eventually look bad behind this team. Game after game after game of giving up 5-bell chances.

Tretiak in his prime couldn't save this team.

No.

Scrivens just sucks. Loses track of puck easily. Gets frustrated easily. Gets scored on easily.

Why can't he save a puck easily FFS?!?!?!!?!?!?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Scrivens is the least of this teams worries. The old boys club remain in management positions, and that won't be changing anytime soon.

No Scrivens is the biggest worry now.

Why?

Because we all know OBC won't be going anywhere so gotta move to the next biggest issue.

And for those blaming defense...how come our AHL goalies played so much better with the same defense group [actually arguably worse D considering both Fasth and Scrivens had "NHL" defense for a greater part of the season...ok NHL quality D is a stretch but they were "NHL" D]?

Sievens sucks not only in net but sucks the life out of the team with his ****acular play.

I still can't believe he said that "you think I'm tanking? wanna fight?" diatribe against the fans...so either he's admitting he sucks or he's loony.

For a scholar and Ivy League grad, such a pompous idiot.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Because he didn't revert back to his ****** NCAA/Francois Allaire ways. Once he felt comfortable, he ****ed himself [and consequently the team] over by going back.

And regarding sample size, Scrivens played 21 games last season...not exactly a lot either.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Because he didn't revert back to his ****** NCAA/Francois Allaire ways. Once he felt comfortable, he ****ed himself [and consequently the team] over by going back.

And regarding sample size, Scrivens played 21 games last season...not exactly a lot either.
Man, you just don't understand sports at all. When was the last time you even played a game on any sort of team?

Confidence is the second most important thing after ability. Scrivens has had that ruined here. His actual abilities as a goalie are fine for a backup/1B role.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Felt like this day would never come. In November, in the midst of the Eakins sadness, we all prayed for this day to come. And now finally this dumpster fire of a season is over. Ended just as pathetic as it started. How do we score 5 goals, play a decent game for the most part, and still lose? Please fire everyone. Please. And we lose our second lottery pick b/c the bruins are just as pathetic. Only bright spot now is winning the lottery with our own pick, which it looks like this team desperately needs. Plus a lot more help.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Man, you just don't understand sports at all. When was the last time you even played a game on any sort of team?

Confidence is the second most important thing after ability. Scrivens has had that ruined here. His actual abilities as a goalie are fine for a backup/1B role.

Ever hear of that saying pig and lipstick phrase...

Confidence...while psychology is one aspect of the game, it doesn't matter if you're confident if your fundamentals aren't sound.

Remember Conklin and when everyone questioned his confidence? When the media asked him and he's like no, I'm fine but should probably play better?

At the end of the day, it's up the that player to find himself. Going "woe is me, my psyche has taken a hit" doesn't help anybody. Sounds harsh but these guys are paid millions and are supposed to be professionals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad