Waived: Scott Wilson (clears waivers, assigned to Amerks)

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I am scratching my head because Wilson would be an upgrade over Elie all day. Not sure why one gets sent down over the other, save for the aforementioned extended conditioning stint. It just seems like bad asset management.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
What’s the time limit on a conditioning stint? They probably feel he needs some time to get his game back. I imagine they feel comfortable he won’t get claimed since he hasn’t played all year, has 1mil salary and another season to go at that rate.
If it is a conditioning stint then there is no need to expose him. It can be sent down on a conditioning stint.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Ok, I will bite... What is so hot about it?
Him getting sent down means Housley won't play him, regardless of the reasoning (Which I gave none) if we used your reasoning, it still stands that Housley refuses to play him. With Housley refusing to play him "because he needs conditioning" that means Botterill is forced to send him down to the AHL.

What is so hot about that?

It's hot because you chose to use fairly inflammatory wording which no one who read could anticipate would actually mean the nuanced position you now claim it represented. That's like...totally what a hot take is.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well huh. That's surprising. I doubt he gets claimed, but I wonder what the logic is here.......

Likely that he won't be claimed.

So then I guess the logic is that he's going to need more time in Rochester to get back to speed than is allowed by a conditioning loan. And since he likely won't get claimed....let him work his way into shape in Rochester.

Not bad logic.

Solid thinking, especially since he's a depth piece who when last on the ice was part of a laughing-stock of a roster. He's likely very safe and can get the work he needs to get back to the show.

If Elie is waived Dallas can claim him back and send him to their AHL without waivers, which they more than likely would since that's what they were wanting to do when Buffalo claimed him in the first place.

Where is the downside? :D

When the time comes, Elie on waivers seems highly likely. And if he winds up getting picked back up by the Stars and sent to the AHL, so be it. It's like borrowing a leaking pen from someone during class - momentarily useful but ultimately of no great import.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Ok, I will bite... What is so hot about it?
Him getting sent down means Housley won't play him, regardless of the reasoning (Which I gave none) if we used your reasoning, it still stands that Housley refuses to play him. With Housley refusing to play him "because he needs conditioning" that means Botterill is forced to send him down to the AHL.

What is so hot about that?

You're acting as if the coach and his boss don't communicate, about the roster and the status of the players...

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Can anyone (@dotcommunism) confirm???

Isn't this waiving somewhat required? Wasn't Wilson put on IR before end of pre-season, therefore, not aligned with the CBA-required end-of-pre-season waivers?

e.g., if he wasn't waived (yet) this year, I assume he could only have a conditioning stint (of limited duration) and must remain with (return to) BUF afterwards.

On the odd chance he may not stick in BUF, it seems pragmatic to waive him now, before teams actually see him play, while his health is still "questionable" so as not to garner interest by other teams. As others noted, he has the "poison pill" of a 2-year, million per contract.

What’s the time limit on a conditioning stint? They probably feel he needs some time to get his game back. I imagine they feel comfortable he won’t get claimed since he hasn’t played all year, has 1mil salary and another season to go at that rate.
Agreed.

If Elie is waived Dallas can claim him back and send him to their AHL without waivers, which they more than likely would since that's what they were wanting to do when Buffalo claimed him in the first place.

FWIW, I agree pigpen's reasoning is reasonable...

Likely that he won't be claimed.
<snip>
When the time comes, Elie on waivers seems highly likely. And if he winds up getting picked back up by the Stars and sent to the AHL, so be it. It's like borrowing a leaking pen from someone during class - momentarily useful but ultimately of no great import.

Can you trade mark that as a 3rd jersey concept? Sabres logo, or better yet, the Slug, with leaking ink-pen stains all over it, to be worn by the middle-six-forwards Sabres until Botts does something to improve their talent?

seinfeld-bania.jpg

Reactions: sabremike

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Send him down on conditioning stint .. if he needs more time either waive him or just scratch him ..

Seems unnecessary to just waive him to begin with.

Plus Elie should be waived ... I'd rather watch RJ on the ice than that clown

Sounds like Botts has no desire to win this season and is going all in for the Calder.

Yay!!

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Send him down on conditioning stint .. if he needs more time either waive him or just scratch him ..

Seems unnecessary to just waive him to begin with.

Plus Elie should be waived ... I'd rather watch RJ on the ice than that clown

Well by waiving him now, nobody has a chance to scout his current condition

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Well huh. That's surprising. I doubt he gets claimed, but I wonder what the logic is here.......
Conditioning loans require using an active roster spot that BUF does not have to give out to Wilson. He's coming from IR and needs to be on the 23-man roster otherwise, hence the waivers sneak instead for a guy that isn't in hockey shape, while the rest of the league is in shape and probably doubtful to add a guy that isn't in shape. There are only 12 healthy forwards, one ill Reinhart, one retroactive IR Eichel, and eight healthy defense, which all means no roster room for a conditioning loan spot if you're trying to ice 12 forwards. Soon, it'll likely mean Smith re-assigned or Elie waived when Eichel returns, unless someone else needs IR.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Maybe they do or maybe they don't. I am not going to speculate into that matter.
Seeing the Murray/Disco tandem was canned for lack of communication makes it a pretty safe bet that Botts and Houlsey have each others' ear.

Last edited:

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
If another team claims him, he has to go on their 23, correct?

If that’s the case, no team is picking up a guy who hasn’t played all year and needs game time to get ready and moving their roster around in order to place him on their 23-man roster.

Whereas as others have stated, if we waive Elie, Dallas can claim him and send him back to the AHL.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
This hot take is fresh out the pan.

However to your why not; because I don't care if they are or they aren't.

Its not a hot take... I mean.. you were just doing it on the last page...

Bots signs the guy over the summer, Housley doesn't think hes fit over Elie and refuses to play him in the line-up, Botterill forced to send him to the AHL?

Anyways ... if you don't care..then you don't care.. you should of just said that instead of I wouldn't want to speculate on that!

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Its not a hot take... I mean.. you were just doing it on the last page...

Anyways ... if you don't care..then you don't care.. you should of just said that instead of I wouldn't want to speculate on that!
Mmmmmmm hmmmmmmmm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad