Prospect Info: Scott Perunovich (2018 Draft - 45th overall)

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Nope. Scandella plays extremely heavy defensive minutes and has been doing pretty good considering that. He’s much more comfortable on the 3rd pairing. Perunovich starts over 80% of the time in the o-zone, he gets extremely easy minutes and he still gets caved in defensively.

So clearly Perunovich’s “transition” has not helped us and that’s why he got taken out of the lineup. We are also a Cup contending team, not a rebuilding team. We are going to play the best lineup, not just give ice time to young guys. That’s why Bortuzzo and Scandella remain in. PK’ing, blocking shots and being good defensively are important to winning games. Having both Krug and Perunovich in there, who can’t PK, isn’t how winning teams are built.
According to the Blues he's been out with an injury. Perunovich's numbers (50.4 CF%, 48.2 xGF%, 10/7 GF/GA) aren't overly impressive given his usage, but in no world is he getting caved in. Don't see a problem with moving Faulk to the PK for one of those guys. It's very important for contending teams to maximize their young, cheap talent to get surplus value while up against the cap.

Reactions: Blueston and 542365

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
According to the Blues he's been out with an injury. Perunovich's numbers (50.4 CF%, 48.2 xGF%, 10/7 GF/GA) aren't overly impressive given his usage, but in no world is he getting caved in. Don't see a problem with moving Faulk to the PK for one of those guys. It's very important for contending teams to maximize their young, cheap talent to get surplus value while up against the cap.
Faulk already kills penalties. But you can’t have only 4 d-men in your lineup that PK. If one of them is in the box, you wouldn’t even be able to roll two full units. That’d be insane.

Yes Perunovich is injured but he was getting scratched well before that.

Scandellas been atrocious and his minutes can’t be that duffucult if he’s on the 3rd pair and 77-55 our getting top line matchups and 47-72 are playing 20+ minutes
Scandella was on the top pair for a large chunk of the season before Mikkola was. Did you just forget that?

Mar 6, 2012
So is it an injury? I thought he was sick? What is going on with him? Anyone know?

Is he practicing or on the ice?

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Disagree he doesn't add anything we need. Our third pairing is terrible in transition. He is a downgrade defensively, but at least they won't always be trapped in their own zone. Also think it would be dumb to stunt his development by playing guys like Bortuzzo and Scandella over him who are marginally better at best.

Yes, Perunovich will help us get out of our own zone when the faceoff is at center ice after we've been scored on.

We need guys like Bortz and Scandella in the lineup a lot more than Perunovich at this point. I honestly would have left him in the ahl longer to improve his defensive game.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
lol… “Pretty solid” is a major overstatement. He’s been flat out bad defensively and has majorly cooled off after his first handful of games. He’s provided virtually no offense at even strength.

Just say it like it is. He hasn’t been very good. That’s why he can’t crack the lineup.
Injured players typically don’t crack the lineup, champ.

Reactions: Blueston

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Perunovich has only been Healthy Scratched like two or three times if my memory is correct. He sat when Bortuzzo came back from covid, then he got sick, came back, then went out on injury. He's a rookie coming into the league after an injury that sidelined him for his entire first year of pros. There's always a learning curve when stepping into a new league.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Faulk already kills penalties. But you can’t have only 4 d-men in your lineup that PK. If one of them is in the box, you wouldn’t even be able to roll two full units. That’d be insane.

Scandella was on the top pair for a large chunk of the season before Mikkola was. Did you just forget that?
No I didn’t, and during that time he was atrocious. Did u forget that? Or does it not fit your narrative?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
There is no place in this current lineup for Perunovich when healthy unless we dress 7 D.
Plenty of room. He’s better than Mikkola and Scandella. Some games he’s better than Krug, who has been an abject disaster several games this year.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Plenty of room. He’s better than Mikkola and Scandella. Some games he’s better than Krug, who has been an abject disaster several games this year.

Based on what exactly?

Sure, Perunovich can skate and pass well and is flashier to watch but in terms of actual defending he is nowhere near the level of those three. And we already have an elite PP guy and puck mover in Krug, so what exactly does Peru bring to the lineup right now?

If Perunovich was given the same assignments as Scandella, Mikkola or even Krug he would get eaten alive. It's not a knock on him, he just needs a lot more experience to be trusted as much as those three currently are. Seems like some fans get caught up in offensive potential, but playing effective, responsible defense is far more important. People love to rip on Krug, but playing 20+ minutes a night and handling the puck as much as he does are nothing to sneeze at.

Reactions: BlueMed

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Based on what exactly?

Sure, Perunovich can skate and pass well and is flashier to watch but in terms of actual defending he is nowhere near the level of those three. And we already have an elite PP guy and puck mover in Krug, so what exactly does Peru bring to the lineup right now?

If Perunovich was given the same assignments as Scandella, Mikkola or even Krug he would get eaten alive. It's not a knock on him, he just needs a lot more experience to be trusted as much as those three currently are. Seems like some fans get caught up in offensive potential, but playing effective, responsible defense is far more important. People love to rip on Krug, but playing 20+ minutes a night and handling the puck as much as he does are nothing to sneeze at.

It’s almost as if you’re saying that he is a defenseman.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
It’s almost as if you’re saying that he is a defenseman.

In a nutshell...

I don't want to come off as overly critical of Peru, just that it takes a lot of time to play D effectively and undersized offensive guys typically need even longer. With the disrupted schedule and only playing 12 AHL games, it would be unfair to expect him to be NHL caliber right now. But I'd like to see him go back down to the AHL and focus exclusively on his d-zone play. No one is doubting his offensive ability, that's for sure.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
In a nutshell...

I don't want to come off as overly critical of Peru, just that it takes a lot of time to play D effectively and undersized offensive guys typically need even longer. With the disrupted schedule and only playing 12 AHL games, it would be unfair to expect him to be NHL caliber right now. But I'd like to see him go back down to the AHL and focus exclusively on his d-zone play. No one is doubting his offensive ability, that's for sure.
I'd 100% be cool with (and would probably prefer) sending Perunovich down to get big minutes in the AHL. Especially if we can upgrade Scandella.

Having a player go from college to a major injury/surgery and missing a full year of progress to barely getting his feet wet as a AHLer straight into the NHL can easily be a shell-shocking experience. Especially with how short College seasons are.

Reactions: Reality Czech

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
LOL. I’d love to see your evidence that he’s better than any of Krug, Mikkola or Scandella. Not even close.

Perunovich has less even strength PPG than all three of them while being way worse defensively than all three.

But yeah, he’s better. Perunovich = certified stud. :laugh:

Injured players typically don’t crack the lineup, champ.
He started getting scratched before the injury, which happened in practice rather than a game. I’ve already explained that. Do some f***in research, even though that’s difficult for you.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
LOL. I’d love to see your evidence that he’s better than any of Krug, Mikkola or Scandella. Not even close.

Perunovich has less even strength PPG than all three of them while being way worse defensively than all three.

But yeah, he’s better. Perunovich = certified stud. :laugh:

He started getting scratched before the injury, which happened in practice rather than a game. I’ve already explained that. Do some f***in research, even though that’s difficult for you.
He was scratched bc he was sick. And then he got hurt.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
In this world of instant gratification, it seems like a lot of people decide a highly touted player is dog poop when they aren't an instant star
every fan base, every sport

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
In this world of instant gratification, it seems like a lot of people decide a highly touted player is dog poop when they aren't an instant star
every fan base, every sport

Frankly, I saw way more fans predicting he'd be the next Makar or Hughes than I have seen declaring him "dog poop." Anecdotal, sure, but I don't see a reason to armchair up the idea that it's about instant gratification.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Frankly, I saw way more fans predicting he'd be the next Makar or Hughes than I have seen declaring him "dog poop." Anecdotal, sure, but I don't see a reason to armchair up the idea that it's about instant gratification.
You are correct, except as soon as he wasn't instantly Makar or Hughes he then instantly became dog poop

LGB

Feb 4, 2019

Well Krug has been in the lineup every game Perunovich has played and it hasn't been an issue. I searched "Perunovich scratch" on twitter and only found one healthy scratch which was December 17th.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
So is it an injury? I thought he was sick? What is going on with him? Anyone know?

Is he practicing or on the ice?
Has not been practicing. Armstrong said he'd be back soon in an interview a few days ago, we'll see if he is at practice tomorrow. They didn't give any specifics on the injury that I've seen.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020

You are correct, except as soon as he wasn't instantly Makar or Hughes he then instantly became dog poop
and this is directed at just Perunovich, you can look at a player like O'Neill for the Cardinals
or say a Jack "the Throwin' Samoan" Thompson for the Bengals back in the day
3rd overall pick in the NFL, came out of Washington with the most passing yards in NCAA history, was going to come in and replace Ken Anderson as the Bengals starter
Ken Anderson went on to lead the league in passing twice, set a record for completion percentage in a season, and win a MVP for dragging a very average Bengals team to a Super Bowl
Jack Thompson, in spite of the hype and pedigree, went on to suck at the NFL level

everyone wants to put the cart before the horse and take a position of this guy is the next thing, or this guy is overrated and going to suck instead of letting it play out
and it has only intensified in this day and age
I guarantee that when Doug Gilmour only put up 50ish points a year in each of his 1st three years (in a very high scoring era) people were calling him over rated

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad