Player Discussion: Scott Mayfield

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Just curious.. are all the expert armchair GM's on here still looking to trade Scott Mayfield to whomever will give us a bag of pucks, no matter how f***ing cheap his contract is? :sarcasm:
Scott Mayfield is not leaving the Island. His next contract should be in the neighborhood of $4.75-5M/yr and Lou will gladly pay him that.

Reactions: Seph

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
I find it very amusing how as Mayfield was developing and continuing to grow into the player he's become, and as Barry Trotz continued to use him and trust him in shut down situations game in, game out with decent minutes, so many on here kept crying "Just ship him anywhere, get him out of here, the icings!! THE ICINGS!!" :scared:

Pretty sure those same posters still haven't figured out that BT and LL know just a smidge more than they do about hockey, hockey players, development, potential and value of all of the above.

But then, that's part of what makes these boards fun. :)

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Soooo..

Do we sign Mayfield or let him go? What do you think the team will do? I say 8 year 4m AAV. I don't think the team is willing to go any higher and not sure if Mayfield will take that.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Soooo..

Do we sign Mayfield or let him go? What do you think the team will do? I say 8 year 4m AAV. I don't think the team is willing to go any higher and not sure if Mayfield will take that.
I was thinking 8x $3.5M previously but it might have to be 8x $4M now as you say. And yeah, Mayfield might want more $$$. We'll see.

Or Lou could be tempted by one of the Holl+ offers from the TML board....

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I was thinking 8x $3.5M previously but it might have to be 8x $4M now as you say. And yeah, Mayfield might want more $$$. We'll see.

Or Lou could be tempted by one of the Holl+ offers from the TML board....
I'd just give him what he's worth and make space elsewhere. He would be missed on a backline with no depth as it is. Other guys can be removed and more easily replaced

Reactions: TMI

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
If there were no cap of course Mayfield gets resigned. The Isles already have Pulock and Dobson at $10M. Can they afford $4M for Mayfield and still have enough money to build a competitive roster?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I’d look to move Palmieri to re-sign Mayfield.

With Dufour and Holmstrom (both can play RW) coming through the system nicely so far, Palmieri becomes expendable. Especially when you consider Wahlstrom, Bailey, Beauvillier, and Clutterbuck are all able to play RW on the current roster as well.

Having Mayfield as a calming presence on the third pairing who can play up the lineup and score big goals is more valueable than what Palmieri has brought to the table thus far.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
If there were no cap of course Mayfield gets resigned. The Isles already have Pulock and Dobson at $10M. Can they afford $4M for Mayfield and still have enough money to build a competitive roster?
Yup, his deal would kick in next year. Isles have Varly coming off and they just lost Bellows. They can pay him up to $5M AAV.

In two years, there’s $12M coming with a bunch of forwards. Plus add in whatever cap increase there will be.

The good side to what Lou has done, is he has locked in a number of long term deals for the youngish guys. The bad side is Isles still have some legacy guys (most teams do) that are sunsetting on their quality vs cap hit and when a youngish guy underperforms, then it gets dicey.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think if they are going to overpay, Mayfield might may be one of the guys who is worth it to do it (as long as they continue to be competitive).

If Dobson or Pulock miss serious time over the next half decade, it would be nice knowing Mayfield is there to fill as opposed to someone like Hutton or LaDue who hasn’t proven to be anything more than a third pairing filler D.

There’s really no RHD in the system I’d be confident putting into the top four.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

With Dufour and Holmstrom (both can play RW) coming through the system nicely so far, Palmieri becomes expendable. Especially when you consider Wahlstrom, Bailey, Beauvillier, and Clutterbuck are all able to play RW on the current roster as well.

Having Mayfield as a calming presence on the third pairing who can play up the lineup and score big goals is more valueable than what Palmieri has brought to the table thus far.
If the Isles couldn’t get rid of Bailey (allegedly, this is still some unsubstantiated blogger/Twitter fodder) with shorter term, same cap hit, no trade protection, yet owed $1.5M cash LESS than his cap hit, then absent sending back a pick, Palms is an Islander until that deal expires: he’s got an extra year, straight cap/cash hit, and NTC clause.

Reactions: The Real JT

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If the Isles couldn’t get rid of Bailey (allegedly, this is still some unsubstantiated blogger/Twitter fodder) with shorter term, same cap hit, no trade protection, yet owed $1.5M cash LESS than his cap hit, then absent sending back a pick, Palms is an Islander until that deal expires: he’s got an extra year, straight cap/cash hit, and NTC clause.
I’d rather Keep Bailey than Palmieri…

Palmieri is ass most games. Bailey will take whatever assignment is given to him and be fine.

Palms is a liability if he isn’t scoring.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island

Absolutely right.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

When you put it like that, sure. I mean some elite defenders make $10M on their own. If we can’t keep Mayfield it really has nothing to do with what our other D make, since they’re all decently priced. It will be because of the amount of middle six forwards we have making $5M+.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Scott Mayfield is not leaving the Island. His next contract should be in the neighborhood of $4.75-5M/yr and Lou will gladly pay him that.
I think that's about right. My guess is they get him for something like 4 years/18m or so. There's no reason to give him 8 years as some folks appear to be saying. He's already 30 years old. I don't think any other team is going over 4 years either. He's a stay at home Dman who can pot an occasional goal. He's not breaking the bank. We'll have to pay him, but nothing crazy. Pelech was younger and better when he signed, and he came in under $6m.

Obviously its easy to make financial decisions for other people in a vacuum but I have a feeling this won't be a difficult one. Mayfield is probably comfortable on the Isles 3rd pairing and the Islanders are comfortable with him there. Should be an easy enough negotiation.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I’d rather Keep Bailey than Palmieri…

Palmieri is ass most games. Bailey will take whatever assignment is given to him and be fine.

Palms is a liability if he isn’t scoring.
Absent Palms netting 25G, he’s got limited value right now.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Soooo..

He's 30 - you want to give him an 8 year contract?

I think we sign him, but not for 8 years. A 4-5 year contract brings him in line with Pulock/Pelech in terms of when it expires.

Reactions: beach

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3