Player Discussion: Scott Mayfield

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Mayfield was a discount for all these years for Isles, at double, triple of what he likely will get his next contract, and getting older. I am not sure he is worth resigning. These are the type of deals that I am leary of. Isles need to start incorporating new younger players into their line up, not keep running it back. The back to back final 4 days are seasons removed now. Isles Mgt need to recognize this or these type of deals will not age well.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Is Mayfield still a top 4 d? Has he gotten any worse over the last couple years?
He had a bad year with giveaways. He also had one of his best offensive years, and was solid in the playoffs against the Hurricanes, so it was a mixed bag. But Mayfield’s 3rd pair on a deep team, top 4 on a not so deep team.

I’m still hopeful the Isles retain Mayfield at $3.5-4.25M. Above that and we can’t afford him.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
He had a bad year with giveaways. He also had one of his best offensive years, and was solid in the playoffs against the Hurricanes, so it was a mixed bag. But Mayfield’s 3rd pair on a deep team, top 4 on a not so deep team.

I’m still hopeful the Isles retain Mayfield at $3.5-4.25M. Above that and we can’t afford him.
IMO, Mayfield’s real value is come playoff time. Big, nasty, crease-clearing, PK guy. Not sure what he’s worth, tbh. Curious to see how it plays out.

Reactions: MJF

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

It just seems like a bad idea because of how the contract would have to be structures, regardless of whether or not I'd like to keep him around.

He needs to cash in so the cap hit will be high if the length of the deal is shorter, limiting what other moves can be made. We'd be looking at running the same team back again. If the deal has a lower cap hit it's going to be absurdly long and will be a pain in the ass on the back end with buyout potential or needing to pay to get rid of it as he slows down.

Reactions: Glory Days

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I appreciate all Mayfield has done for the Isles and I hope he gets paid, just not by the Isles. If he leaves though, hopefully he returns one day, if not as a player then as a coach or front office-type.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
It just seems like a bad idea because of how the contract would have to be structures, regardless of whether or not I'd like to keep him around.

He needs to cash in so the cap hit will be high if the length of the deal is shorter, limiting what other moves can be made. We'd be looking at running the same team back again. If the deal has a lower cap hit it's going to be absurdly long and will be a pain in the ass on the back end with buyout potential or needing to pay to get rid of it as he slows down.
I agree. I think some team will want him in their top 4 and offer 5x5.

Reactions: Olliemets

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Mayfield is getting PAID guys. 3.5 ain't gonna do it. These type of defenseman are highly sought after. Here's my prediction:

If we sign him, most fans will complain that we overpaid. If we let him walk, we will miss him dearly.
We lost in the 1st round with him, we can lose for a lot cheaper. Hutton wasn't given that contract without Lou thinking he was likely losing Scott.

And let's not forget Aidan Fulp!!! Fulp-a-mania will run wild . . .

Reactions: Ishkabible

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
We lost in the 1st round with him, we can lose for a lot cheaper. Hutton wasn't given that contract without Lou thinking he was likely losing Scott.

And let's not forget Aidan Fulp!!! Fulp-a-mania will run wild . . .
Let me tell you something brother!

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
IMO, Mayfield’s real value is come playoff time. Big, nasty, crease-clearing, PK guy.
This is why I posted elsewhere that Mayfield might not get an unmatchable offer elsewhere. He's worth the most to the teams with the least cap space. But I guess all it takes is one....

Reactions: JKP

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I fear Mayfield is gone.

Would it not seem logical for him to go out there on this almost barren market in a year where a group of "Mayfields" won the Cup with Vegas and see what he can rake in with his one big UFA opportunity???

I mean, I'd say he more or less has to do it, right?

This team just cannot afford to pay him what he's bound to earn out there in such a landscape.

Will miss you, big guy!

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Ducks fan checking in as I hope the Ducks sign Mayfield. If you were signing him in UFA how much would you be comfortable paying him before you became uncomfortable with the deal. I like the idea if a 4x4 type deal so he can play with Fowler who managed to turn a guy like Lovejoy into a top 4 D.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Ducks fan checking in as I hope the Ducks sign Mayfield. If you were signing him in UFA how much would you be comfortable paying him before you became uncomfortable with the deal. I like the idea if a 4x4 type deal so he can play with Fowler who managed to turn a guy like Lovejoy into a top 4 D.
I’d do 4 x 4

My limit is 3.75 x 6 leveraging years for dollars on the cap

Reactions: DavidBL

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Always liked Mayfield but anything more then $3mil per is a mistake. Guys like Gudas and Schenn play the same game and can be had for less. Isles need top 6 talent, not $4 million 3rd pair dmen

Reactions: Ishkabible

Crashsunday

Dec 18, 2006
San Diego
Always liked Mayfield but anything more then $3mil per is a mistake. Guys like Gudas and Schenn play the same game and can be had for less. Isles need top 6 talent, not $4 million 3rd pair dmen
Agree with this. I think his number is inflated by most because of how discounted he has been in the past. He has also said repeatedly how much he loves LI and everyone knows he is settled there and doesn’t want to go anywhere. Not that those two things should be held against him, but you don’t pay that d-man on your team too much money. He ices the puck too frequently and takes dumb “look at me being tough” penalties. A common ground of “thank you for your service, but this is where you fit dollar-wise” should be found, otherwise you let him marinate and Lou sticks to his guns about what he is worth to the team.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I fear Mayfield is gone.

Would it not seem logical for him to go out there on this almost barren market in a year where a group of "Mayfields" won the Cup with Vegas and see what he can rake in with his one big UFA opportunity???

I mean, I'd say he more or less has to do it, right?

This team just cannot afford to pay him what he's bound to earn out there in such a landscape.

Will miss you, big guy!
Thoughts ahead of NHL free agency: Latest on O'Reilly, Reaves and Kane

Maybe so and take it for what it is worth but Elliotte Friedman had this line in the article

One team that hoped to talk to Scott Mayfield believes he is all but re-signed by the Islanders. Hopefully, it will be announced before Christmas.

I would love him back but really would want it to be no more than $4M (I hope for $3.5M and hope given the league wide cap situation that can happen but maybe unrealistic). Any more than that, I would want to look at other alternatives.

Last edited:

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
I think Mayfield is a different animal in the playoffs, he was one of the better dman for us in our series and historically he is very good for us in the playoffs. I wish he played more like he a 6'5" dman during the season also but for a bottom pairing guy you can do MUCH worse.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Schenn to Trotz/Nashville at more than many expected. $2.75M X 3 years.

I wonder what Mayfield is worth based on that? If he’s coming back to the Isles he still wants to get paid like we all do. I’m expecting a Cizikas-like deal at a higher AAV.

I’ll probably like it for 2 years but we’ll all probably hate it after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad