Value of: Scott Laughton rental

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Expected and possession stats are not more telling than actual production and ability to drive a line. Also you only pointed out couterier WAR, I'm fairly sure marner is very high in terms of WAR(a flawed stat) as well

Marner has been an elite offensive and strong defensive winger the past three years. He has played first line competition and outscored couterier pretty easily.

Couterier is a Tavares level player not Marner

I think Marner is the better player, but only in terms of points. Couts is far better defensively than any center that Toronto has. Plus, he is the line driver for whatever line he is on. Marner plays with Matthews. Couts doesn't play with another elite player/goal scorer of that caliber. Then there's salary to consider.

Absolutely no way the Flyers would entertain Marner at the expense of Couturier. Defensively, it's a step back. Offensively, it's a step up. But he wouldn't be as productive with Kevin Hayes as out 1C. Another reason not to consider it, Kevin Hayes would become our 1C. Plus, Couturier makes 4.75 million to 10.9 million for Marner. Even though we are going to need to pay Couts, it isn't going to be anywhere near 10 million.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
As a NYI fan, I think Laughton would be a great fit. He'd give NYI three centers that you can slot in to have 2 players to win draws in all situations (the others being Pageau and Cizikas). It would give NYI the ability to play forwards as pairings, while slotting around extra centers as necessary with the lead, which is a strategy Trotz employs all the time since Pageau's acquisition. Laughton reminds me a lot of Cizikas 2-3 years ago when he had a half a step on current Cizikas.

I just don't think Philly would trade him to NYI for fear he'd sign with NYI, and then they'd need to face him for years.

I don't think the thought of Laughton playing against them is a concern.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I don't think the thought of Laughton playing against them is a concern.

I'm pretty sure the Flyers (and most Flyers fans) would prefer to send Laughton to Toronto or Colorado instead of the Islanders or the Capitals (for example). The only way we send him to one of our rivals, is if they offer much higher compensation.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Sure we'll talk all of your average junk for our 28 year old Selke Trophy winning PPG 1C.

No problemo.

Get a grip lol

The whole premise of that is wishful thinking if Philly was blowing it up, which they're clearly not.

Anyways... back to the purpose of the thread...

-Laughton 50% retained
-3rd Round Pick from Philly if Leafs do not make it to the final 4.

for

-Liljegren

Philly gets a young, right shot, expansion-exempt defenceman who steps into the lineup immediately with a year left on his ELC. Not the biggest guy, but likely a compliment for a team who has Sanheim, Myers, and Provorov as part of their long term plans.

They do that while turning down offers that will almost certainly be a 45-62 pick plus likely another prospect of lesser upside. They may turn down a 1st round pick from a team like Colorado; although I'd imagine any 1st round pick offer would likely need a 2nd or 3rd coming back. Using Colorado as an example, I can't imagine they're going to put themselves in a position where they have 1 pick (a 3rd rounder) in the first 4 rounds this year.

Toronto gives up a guy drafted 17th overall, but who doesn't really have a logical spot to crack the lineup either this year or next. They get a perfect 3rd line centre to increase their somewhat non-existent grittiness; as well as a guy that MIGHT end up fitting in their top 6.

If it goes horribly wrong, the loss of Liljegren is slightly offset by recouping a 3rd round pick.

Last edited:

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
From the wild:

Johansson(cap) + Menell rights + 4th be enough?

You could likely just flip Johansson for another pick and Menell should be ready to step in next year, he's a righty putting up solid numbers in the KHL.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Lool

Come on now.

Marner is so far above couterier that we'd never consider selling him with Courerier as the main piece

So far above? I think Marner is a great player, but he’s not more valuable than couturier. The irony is a team who can’t get out of the first round bc they keep losing to a team with a selke god still think flash and lights is more valuable. I’d much rather the flyers go in on Eichel and have Couts as well then sell of Couts as that would be a cup winning team.

Plus Marner makes far more than Couts does now and may make more than Couts after this contract still.

There are two centers I can think of that I would trade Couts for. No wingers that’s for sure.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Engvall + 3rd or just a 1st straight up for Laughton (50% retained)?

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I think the same thing, a team like colorado who is on the verge wil pay for him, I don’t wanna see laughton go at all I want him to re-sign post expansion but if the next few games don’t go our way and we choose to sell I could trade him with a verbal agreement of design intention post draft

Exactly. He provides 2nd line value at a great price. His next contract will probably be a steal, too.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I'm going to play devil's advocate a bit here but I don't think Laughton is worth a first as a rental.

His raw numbers are pretty decent and he definitely sees increase in production when raised to a top-6 wing role but his expected goals and corsi are very mundane - certainly not what is ideal for a second line player. Some of this may be team-style attributed but it includes last year when he shot 17.4%.

I also think his defensive game/impact suffers a bit when elevated into a scoring line support role (just a general observation - I can be persuaded I am wrong by people who watch ghim night in and night out) and either way - I don't think he's as good of a true defensive third line player as Goodrow is - and that includes Goodrow's time on a stagnant Sharks team.

The big problem with the Goodrow comp though is that Goodrow had another year left at minimum price and Laughton is an UFA.

He strikes me as a bit of a tweener guy - perfectly at home as a third line winger who can forecheck and chip in offensively and capable of playing a support role for short periods on a scoring line but not a true stopper and better at wing than center who is also a rental. I don't think he profiles as a first round pick return guy at all - if you can get a second and decent prospect or a third and a really solid prospect - I think that's doing well.

Reactions: JoemAvs

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Flyers could help you there too.

Let's do Laughton and Elliott for your 1st. So you get more value for your 1st.

Depth on D...we have Hagg :)

But honestly, would love to see Ghost in the AVs system(I know you guys don't need that "type" of Dman)
Elliott would be better than what we’ve got now, but would hope for a more reliable option as Elliott has been bad this year. I proposed this on the Avs board though:

Scott Laughton + Justin Braun

for

1st + Timmins + Compher

I’d like PHI to include a pick back but idk if that’s realistic if you guys are taking Compher.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
As a NYI fan, I think Laughton would be a great fit. He'd give NYI three centers that you can slot in to have 2 players to win draws in all situations (the others being Pageau and Cizikas). It would give NYI the ability to play forwards as pairings, while slotting around extra centers as necessary with the lead, which is a strategy Trotz employs all the time since Pageau's acquisition. Laughton reminds me a lot of Cizikas 2-3 years ago when he had a half a step on current Cizikas.

I just don't think Philly would trade him to NYI for fear he'd sign with NYI, and then they'd need to face him for years.
laughton would fit so well with isles and i hate that lmao

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Couldn’t care less about where Laughton goes. Just want those juicy picks

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I'm guessing he goes for:

2nd + good but not blue chip prospect.

Wouldn’t be surprised. The Flyers have a large collection of “good” prospects, so the add on would be a pick in an ideal case. However... Fletcher seems incompetent

Reactions: Starat327

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Elliott would be better than what we’ve got now, but would hope for a more reliable option as Elliott has been bad this year. I proposed this on the Avs board though:

Scott Laughton + Justin Braun

for

1st + Timmins + Compher

I’d like PHI to include a pick back but idk if that’s realistic if you guys are taking Compher.
I know I have said this before, but JTC just has no place on the Flyers.

Giroux Couts Konecny
JVR Hayes Voracek
Lindblom Patrick Farabee

....then have Frost in waiting next year if we lose a F in the ED. Just no top 9 spot for JTC. It's the same reason why despite Laughton's numbers and only being 26 in his prime, we just don't have a spot for him at 3+ million next year.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I don't think the Flyers will trade Laughton, bu if he does I can almost guarantee he will go for more than most people think. Teams love adding players like him for a deep playoff run. His ability to play in different positions, roles, etc and have success offensively at ES will be coveted. I'm not sure he'd go for a first, but if he doesn't it would be something like a 2nd and an above average prospect with an NHL future.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I know I have said this before, but JTC just has no place on the Flyers.

Giroux Couts Konecny
JVR Hayes Voracek
Lindblom Patrick Farabee

....then have Frost in waiting next year if we lose a F in the ED. Just no top 9 spot for JTC. It's the same reason why despite Laughton's numbers and only being 26 in his prime, we just don't have a spot for him at 3+ million next year.
While I generally agree with your point, JVR could end up in Seattle.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
While I generally agree with your point, JVR could end up in Seattle.
yes...he could...then Frost steps into the vacant top 9 spot.

We won't be trading for a F who has 2+ years on his deal at 3.5 million and on pace for 25 pts/82 games this year. Like I said before, we would just re-sign Laughton who is better if that were the case.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
yes...he could...then Frost steps into the vacant top 9 spot.

We won't be trading for a F who has 2+ years on his deal at 3.5 million and on pace for 25 pts/82 games this year. Like I said before, we would just re-sign Laughton who is better if that were the case.
I don't think re-signing Laughton is completely out of the realm of possibility. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they did. If you are referencing JT Compher, he does ZERO for the Flyers.

Reactions: Tripod

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
As a leaf fan I'd be ok giving a 1st for Laughton with 50% retention.That would be the max id pay though.

Reactions: Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad