Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Maybe we should also point out that Goodrow had:

21 ES pts in 62 games when traded: .339 p/gp
16 ES pts in 82 games the previous year: .195 p/gp

Laughton has:
17 ES pts in 33 games this year: .515 p/gp
27 ES pts in 49 games last year: .551 p/gp

Laughton is a MUCH more productive player. That just can't be ignored. You are getting 2nd line ES production.

Like look at Palmieri...he has 11 ES pts in 34 games this year. Last year he had 27 ES pts in 65 games. So again, Laughton has been more productive at ES. And it's not to discount PP pts, but if the team doesn't "need" a PP guy and "needs" a pker more, then Laughton makes more sense to go grab.

Reactions: BillDineen

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
oh yeah...here is what Friedman said just a few days ago on his podcast:

Talked about Laughton, thinks the market is higher than it was for Goodrow last year, but Laughton loves being a Flyer and the Flyers know that and they’ve been trying to get a deal. Laughton was in around Laine trade talks.
What was the market for Goodrow last season? There was still a year left on his deal. San Jose probably got the offer from Tampa, which was a move up from the early 3rd to the late 1st, and they figured that they were never going to see a better offer for the free wallet they signed several years back.

Laughton is an impending UFA and the market is one that currently isn't seeing a ton of buyers. I'd like to know what Friedman meant by 'higher'. It seems like a bad comparable, because the extra year on his deal and the ultra-low cap hit had a lot more to do with Tampa's willingness to pay the premium than Goodrow's overall production.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think you guys are going to lose something valuable in expansion already. I wouldn't worried about losing anything you potentially acquire for Laughton.

Tyler Benson and Caleb Jones are two guys Edmonton might have available to move in a deal for a rental.
Caleb Jones is not better than Provy, Sanheim or Ghost...and is not a better prospect than York or Zamula....so he has no value to the Flyers in a trade.

And Bensen is having a great year in the AHL...but he isn't better than Giroux, JVR or Lindblom at LW...so where does he play?

That's why we want picks. We have the near ready NHL prospects to play on 4th line to get experience-Laczynski, Bunnaman, Twarynski, Allison, etc... We have our own logjam....we would rather "punt" it down the timeline and have a prospect ready a few years from now.

Our "need" that Mgt wants to fill...is 1st pairing RHD. We are not getting that in a Laughton deal so would rather picks since they could possibly used later in a deal if we need to.

Reactions: belair

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What was the market for Goodrow last season? There was still a year left on his deal. San Jose probably got the offer from Tampa, which was a move up from the early 3rd to the late 1st, and they figured that they were never going to see a better offer for the free wallet they signed several years back.

Laughton is an impending UFA and the market is one that currently isn't seeing a ton of buyers. I'd like to know what Friedman meant by 'higher'. It seems like a bad comparable, because the extra year on his deal and the ultra-low cap hit had a lot more to do with Tampa's willingness to pay the premium than Goodrow's overall production.
Only he knows. But as I showed...Laughton is a much more productive player...so that can't be ignored. Hopefully GM's see that too and overpay for it.

With Goodrow you were paying for a 3rd/4th liner with an extra year. With Laughton you are paying for 1 year but 2nd line production at ES....while playing mostly 3rd line.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
yeah as weird as it may sound, i would probably rather acquire Laughton over Hall even if its similar cost. i would love Laughton on our 3rd line.

uhhh... i disagree with that. sure he played to a 45 point pace last year, but even thats low end 2nd line production. this year 42 in a 82 game season. before that, hadnt topped 32 points.

im fine with not getting him if the demand is a 1st. teams can have a max offer, that they wont surpass value wise. that should be less than a 1st.

Can't disagree with a fact, brotha

He has now scored at 2nd line level at 5v5 over 247 games. (0.74 G/60 and 1.74 P/60.)

With above average defensive stats. And he can play all three positions and PK.

Laughton is a banger and every team should be hunting him down.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Can't disagree with a fact, brotha

He has now scored at 2nd line level at 5v5 over 247 games. (0.74 G/60 and 1.74 P/60.)

With above average defensive stats. And he can play all three positions and PK.

Laughton is a banger and every team should be hunting him down.
i knew there would be a catch. theres no way a 30-40 point guy is 2nd line production.

regardless of his level of production i wouldnt trade a 1st for 2-3 months of him. 2-3 years of him though... we'd be talking. only thing hurting him is his pending UFA status

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
i knew there would be a catch. theres no way a 30-40 point guy is 2nd line production.

regardless of his level of production i wouldnt trade a 1st for 2-3 months of him. 2-3 years of him though... we'd be talking. only thing hurting him is his pending UFA status

5v5 isn't a catch - that should make you want him more. That means this guy scores when all things are equal.

Reactions: Rebels57

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Avs could definitely use him. Would probably give up a 1st since this is the Avs shot. Depends what it costs to address our other needs (backup G, depth D)
Flyers could help you there too.

Let's do Laughton and Elliott for your 1st. So you get more value for your 1st.

Depth on D...we have Hagg :)

But honestly, would love to see Ghost in the AVs system(I know you guys don't need that "type" of Dman)

BigBear

Mar 28, 2021
Solid third liner, plays center and lw, can chip in offense, above average defensively. Not afraid to engage physically. He's a ufa this summer and with the Flyers' playoff hopes looking slim I'm sure he'll garner some interest from contenders. What would you be willing to offer?

according to Dave Scott this afternoon the next 4 games are secondary.... the Flyers will be buyers with #1 D as first task.... talks well underway with 3 teams and announcement may be as early as Thursday... Laughton not part of any package...

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Goodrow had another year and is not best comparison.

Now Toffoli got a 2 and Madden and that feels closer. Its a high price but adding only 2.3m in salary (less if retention) will greatly add to his value.

As I've said a few times already, I'm not saying Laughton is a comparable to Goodrow. The callout I'm making is that GMs are dumb and do even dumber things at the deadline.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Would really like him on the Caps but not sure if he's the add to make given his likely cost with defense and goaltending being the way they are and offense already being a strength. Respect his es/pk game though. Could be the Blake Coleman add of this year

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
2nd with conditions to be a 1st and then maybe we'll be there
If the condition is a Stanley Cup win then yea sure. I can't really see him getting anything more than a 2nd though; maybe a marginal prospect or late pick added if they had a team really pay up.

On the lower end I could also see him getting close to what Staal @50% returned: a 3rd + 5th.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
[QUOTE="123offtheglass, post: 177054658, member: 293821"On the lower end I could also see him getting close to what Staal @50% returned: a 3rd + 5th.[/QUOTE]

If that's all he's returning, I'd sooner keep him and sell off other scraps.

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018

Dude the thing you’re not realizing is that he does don’t play powerplay unless there’s an injury or to shake soemthing up, he’s scoring most of his points at even strength, 45 even strength points looks a lot better than 45 points split between pp and es the guys is scoring at 2nd line rate on even strength points alone

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
[QUOTE="123offtheglass, post: 177054658, member: 293821"On the lower end I could also see him getting close to what Staal @50% returned: a 3rd + 5th.

If that's all he's returning, I'd sooner keep him and sell off other scraps.[/QUOTE]
If I were the flyers I'd hold on to him as well, a 2nd though could probably entice them, I'd think.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If the condition is a Stanley Cup win then yea sure. I can't really see him getting anything more than a 2nd though; maybe a marginal prospect or late pick added if they had a team really pay up.

On the lower end I could also see him getting close to what Staal @50% returned: a 3rd + 5th.
Staal has 4 ES pts in 32 games
Laughton has 17 ES pts in 33 games

NOT comparable.

Staal is the name, Laughton is the substance. :)

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Have to assume the Leafs will be very interested. Fits a lot of boxes as to the type of forward the Leafs wanna acquire.

Reactions: leafsfan5

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
As others have mentioned, he is probably going to be a hot commodity with a few teams bidding in the 2nd round range... in a normal year, probably a 1st, but I think the pandemic has caused everyone to hold onto their picks/prospects just a little tighter this year.

As others have also mentioned, if available, he should be on the Leafs radar.... he would fit the team's need for a gritty 3rd line centre perfectly; especially given that the Leafs have Spezza & Kerfoot who can line up as more offensive-minded centres. If Philly retains 50%, I believe he's a guy you can add without any subtractions as well.

As for the price, that's a tough one forsure. I think the piece that hits a homerun for Philly would be a guy like Timothy Liljegren -- given that he can step into the NHL lineup today, still has reasonable potential, is expansion-draft exempt, and things kind of fall off for Philly on the right side after Myers. As a Leaf fan, I'm not sure I'd be thrilled about trading Liljegren for a depth piece, that we'd likely have challenges resigning.

Maybe you do something where if the Leafs don't make the final 4, Philly sends a 3rd round pick back so at least Toronto isn't left with nothing.

Pipe dream would be if Philly is going to really blow things up -- trade Kerfoot, Liljegren, a 1st, and maybe a guy like Filip Hallander for Sean Couturier at about $800k retained + a 3rd.... get back to being truly 3-deep at centre, with a guy that can make himself an absolute nightmare against other teams star players...still contribute some offence with the ability to move up the lineup in case of injury, and get 2 cracks at it. Unfortunately I don't think Philly is "bad enough" to consider a rebuild.

Last edited:

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Not gonna lie I'd love him on the 3rd line somewhere. Excellent player . 2nd plus sounds about right .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad