1st rounder
Or
Blue chip prospect

There will be a bidding war for his services

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Laughton is a good third liner or an elite fourth liner, there's definitely a place for him with most clubs. I kinda don't really wanna get rid.

Reactions: flyerslducks

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
As others have mentioned, he is probably going to be a hot commodity with a few teams bidding in the 2nd round range... in a normal year, probably a 1st, but I think the pandemic has caused everyone to hold onto their picks/prospects just a little tighter this year.

As others have also mentioned, if available, he should be on the Leafs radar.... he would fit the team's need for a gritty 3rd line centre perfectly; especially given that the Leafs have Spezza & Kerfoot who can line up as more offensive-minded centres. If Philly retains 50%, I believe he's a guy you can add without any subtractions as well.

As for the price, that's a tough one forsure. I think the piece that hits a homerun for Philly would be a guy like Timothy Liljegren -- given that he can step into the NHL lineup today, still has reasonable potential, is expansion-draft exempt, and things kind of fall off for Philly on the right side after Myers. As a Leaf fan, I'm not sure I'd be thrilled about trading Liljegren for a depth piece, that we'd likely have challenges resigning.

Maybe you do something where if the Leafs don't make the final 4, Philly sends a 3rd round pick back so at least Toronto isn't left with nothing.

Pipe dream would be if Philly is going to really blow things up -- trade Kerfoot, Liljegren, a 1st, and maybe a guy like Filip Hallander for Sean Couturier at about $800k retained + a 3rd.... get back to being truly 3-deep at centre, with a guy that can make himself an absolute nightmare against other teams star players...still contribute some offence with the ability to move up the lineup in case of injury, and get 2 cracks at it. Unfortunately I don't think Philly is "bad enough" to consider a rebuild.

Couturier will not be traded, but if he did his return would be far greater than that! PPG shutdown Selke players are the most important in the league. Most valuable player on either team.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
As others have mentioned, he is probably going to be a hot commodity with a few teams bidding in the 2nd round range... in a normal year, probably a 1st, but I think the pandemic has caused everyone to hold onto their picks/prospects just a little tighter this year.

As others have also mentioned, if available, he should be on the Leafs radar.... he would fit the team's need for a gritty 3rd line centre perfectly; especially given that the Leafs have Spezza & Kerfoot who can line up as more offensive-minded centres. If Philly retains 50%, I believe he's a guy you can add without any subtractions as well.

As for the price, that's a tough one forsure. I think the piece that hits a homerun for Philly would be a guy like Timothy Liljegren -- given that he can step into the NHL lineup today, still has reasonable potential, is expansion-draft exempt, and things kind of fall off for Philly on the right side after Myers. As a Leaf fan, I'm not sure I'd be thrilled about trading Liljegren for a depth piece, that we'd likely have challenges resigning.

Maybe you do something where if the Leafs don't make the final 4, Philly sends a 3rd round pick back so at least Toronto isn't left with nothing.

Pipe dream would be if Philly is going to really blow things up -- trade Kerfoot, Liljegren, a 1st, and maybe a guy like Filip Hallander for Sean Couturier at about $800k retained + a 3rd.... get back to being truly 3-deep at centre, with a guy that can make himself an absolute nightmare against other teams star players...still contribute some offence with the ability to move up the lineup in case of injury, and get 2 cracks at it. Unfortunately I don't think Philly is "bad enough" to consider a rebuild.

If Couturier is available many teams would beat that offer .

As an Oiler fan I would offer Holloway, 2x1st , Bear and Walk from RNH

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Sure we'll talk all of your average junk for our 28 year old Selke Trophy winning PPG 1C.

No problemo.

Get a grip lol

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
If Couturier is available many teams would beat that offer .

As an Oiler fan I would offer Holloway, 2x1st , Bear and Walk from RNH
While There is a lot of value there if they’re trading coots it’s for immediate step in value to the team, a hockey trade would be the only way he’s moved (which he won’t be)

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018

Start with marner retained and then you’re talking with coots

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just my impression, but it seems like he is not scoring/producing when on the third (as a C), whereas when he is a LW on a scoring line, he does.

Is this wrong?
He has more reign to focus on offense when at wing. But here is the thing to remember, when at LW, he mostly has played with Hayes. So he is not getting a "big bump" like if he played with Couturier.

He played #3C with JVR and Farabee earlier this year when Couturier was hurt and they were our best line.

In the end, expectations just need to be reasonable. You will get a player who plays with intensity, will hit, can skate well, will produce at ES, will be good on the PK and will be a great compliment to better players. He won't lead a line, he will compliment who he plays with.

I don't think he ends up getting a 1st...2nd+prospect/3rd seems more likely to me.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
As a NYI fan, I think Laughton would be a great fit. He'd give NYI three centers that you can slot in to have 2 players to win draws in all situations (the others being Pageau and Cizikas). It would give NYI the ability to play forwards as pairings, while slotting around extra centers as necessary with the lead, which is a strategy Trotz employs all the time since Pageau's acquisition. Laughton reminds me a lot of Cizikas 2-3 years ago when he had a half a step on current Cizikas.

I just don't think Philly would trade him to NYI for fear he'd sign with NYI, and then they'd need to face him for years.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Laughton would garner a 1st. Especially since it's likely it would be a late 1st.

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
Laughton would garner a 1st. Especially since it's likely it would be a late 1st.
I think the same thing, a team like colorado who is on the verge wil pay for him, I don’t wanna see laughton go at all I want him to re-sign post expansion but if the next few games don’t go our way and we choose to sell I could trade him with a verbal agreement of design intention post draft

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
Lool

Come on now.

Marner is so far above couterier that we'd never consider selling him with Courerier as the main piece
This screams I’m a homer and I know nothing about other teams players but mine are great, if you think value wise marner has more you’re certainly mistaken and I’m sure everybody who’s not a leafs homer will tell you that

Reactions: Weltschmerz

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
This screams I’m a homer and I know nothing about other teams players but mine are great, if you think value wise marner has more you’re certainly mistaken and I’m sure everybody who’s not a leafs homer will tell you that
Nope marner>>Couts.

Hes the 2nd best winger in the league and a franchise player entering his prime while Couterier is going to be exiting his soon and isnt as good a player

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
Lool

Come on now.

Marner is so far above couterier that we'd never consider selling him with Courerier as the main piece
MaRnER iS sO fAR aBoVE “cOuRErIeR.”

Attachments

• 275D1529-0E58-4667-9F63-BD54D48AEBAE.png
    275D1529-0E58-4667-9F63-BD54D48AEBAE.png
    329.1 KB · Views: 10

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
MaRnER iS sO fAR aBoVE “cOuRErIeR.”
Expected and possession stats are not more telling than actual production and ability to drive a line. Also you only pointed out couterier WAR, I'm fairly sure marner is very high in terms of WAR(a flawed stat) as well

Marner has been an elite offensive and strong defensive winger the past three years. He has played first line competition and outscored couterier pretty easily.

Couterier is a Tavares level player not Marner

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Just my impression, but it seems like he is not scoring/producing when on the third (as a C), whereas when he is a LW on a scoring line, he does.

Is this wrong?
He is a better 3lw but can play 3c for sure.

You can play Laughton as a 2lw with the right teammates but no way you can play as a 2c.

Reactions: Curufinwe

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Late 2nds because its Toronto. Makes a difference. I want at least one pick in the Top 40.

Ideally I'd like a 1st, but if that isn't in the cards 2 2nds is probably best case. Getting a top-40 2nd rounder probably ain't happening. Most teams that would be in on Laughton aren't going to be picking sub-40 in the 2nd. Nothing is stopping Fletch from packaging picks to move up anyway.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad