News Article: Scott Laughton named Team Canada captain for WJHC

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I'd be happy with a Canada win just because of Laughton being the captain. I like it when the Flyers have prospects playing important parts in the WJC. I pull for Flyers over the US - is that a lack of patriotism?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I'd be happy with a Canada win just because of Laughton being the captain. I like it when the Flyers have prospects playing important parts in the WJC. I pull for Flyers over the US - is that a lack of patriotism?

nonot at all. Even during the olympics i was confused because the us team had players i hated like kane and kesler, but canada had richards pronger and iginla who i like.

But really the worst ending was crosby game winning ot goal, shortly followed by a kane ot goal. F me.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Absolutely. You should be deported! In all seriousness though, I root for USA against anyone. If Canada wins, I won't be mad because of the Flyer factor, but I'd still rather see our boys win Gold. Root for the players all day and all night, root for them to win over other teams, but when they play the US, you gotta root for the US. I mean, if your favorite Flyer got traded would you root for him to win against the Flyers? I know I wouldn't!

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I could see a third line with Leier-Laughton in the future.

2nd PK unit too?

Through Cousins on the other wing and you got good defense (Laugton and Leier) and offense (Cousins and Laughton, Leier is no scrub in this regard either but is more questionable). That would be a hard working line that would piss people off. :laugh: Simmer would also fit in at one of the wings IMO.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Through Cousins on the other wing and you got good defense (Laugton and Leier) and offense (Cousins and Laughton, Leier is no scrub in this regard either but is more questionable). That would be a hard working line that would piss people off. :laugh: Simmer would also fit in at one of the wings IMO.

Don't underestimate Leier's offensive ability. He's a very smart player with a nose for the net and great hands to go with his speed. All three are good prospects, but smallish.

With the current prospect pool looking good for grit/leadership, we need some big wingers and skilled playmakers at F.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Lecavelier
Leier-Laughton-Simmonds
Raffl-Hall-Rinaldo

next year :naughty:

Trade Hartnell + a 6th to any team for a 7th

Let Downie go, even though I like him and he's been good but he doesn't fit in my scenario.

Boom, Stanley Cup.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Lecavelier
Leier-Laughton-Simmonds
Raffl-Hall-Rinaldo

next year :naughty:

Trade Hartnell + a 6th to any team for a 7th

Let Downie go, even though I like him and he's been good but he doesn't fit in my scenario.

Boom, Stanley Cup.

Cap space goin to defense?

Who?

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Don't underestimate Leier's offensive ability. He's a very smart player with a nose for the net and great hands to go with his speed. All three are good prospects, but smallish.

With the current prospect pool looking good for grit/leadership, we need some big wingers and skilled playmakers at F.

I'm trying not to but he plays in Portland with some of the best offensive players in the WHL, including the 2nd and 4th leading scorers in the league. His numbers went up pretty drastically from two years ago (from ~.5 ppg to ~1.3ppg this year) as well. And lets not forget Talbot put up some great numbers in juniors. I just think the other two are safer bets offensively cause they were the main cogs on their respective teams.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I'm trying not to but he plays in Portland with some of the best offensive players in the WHL, including the 2nd and 4th leading scorers in the league. His numbers went up pretty drastically from two years ago (from ~.5 ppg to ~1.3ppg this year) as well. And lets not forget Talbot put up some great numbers in juniors. I just think the other two are safer bets offensively cause they were the main cogs on their respective teams.

I understand and agree, but in Leier's defense, he had to wait for a chance for more O time on such a deep team or his stats might already be higher.

Leier is a smart player, he might actually play BETTER in the NHL with better players because he knows where to be, can get there and finish when he does.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia

Not to nitpick, but this is the best offensive talent on the Generals:

Last year Laughton also carried the load along with Boone Jenner. But yes, he is different from Leier in that he is the best overall player on his team and not a 3rd wheel on a dominant line.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

Last year Laughton also carried the load along with Boone Jenner. But yes, he is different from Leier in that he is the best overall player on his team and not a 3rd wheel on a dominant line.

Sorry if it wasn't clear but by me saying main cog I didn't mean best offensive player. Just that without them (Cousins and Laughton) the team falls apart, not just because of the offense but leadership and everything in general. I know Jenner was great for the General's last year but after going back to juniors (after his 5 NHL games) Laughton was often times the best player on the team. Again not necessarily offensively but just in general. That can't be said about Leier even this season. Again, this isn't a knock on Leier. I really like this kid and think he's got a definite future at the NHL level in some capacity I'm just not too sure his offensive game will be as good as the other two mentioned. Though if Cousins doesn't make it to the NHL because of holes in his game in other areas this is kinda a moot point anyway.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly

Wow, that Dal Colle kid attacks the net with and without the puck. Can make a nice pass too. Where's he projected to go in the draft?

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I can't wait to see him up on this team. Giroux/Cooter/Laughton is a solid one two three punch with a lot of years left in the nhl. You could even start Laughton out at wing for when Vinny is healthy. The Flyers have a great future whether some people believe it or not.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Man, he's getting **** on by a lot of the fans in the GDT. People saying he hasn't finished his checks, that he's heartless, shouldn't be captain, blah blah blah. Then again, pretty much every player on that team is getting criticized. Haven't seen any of the games for myself so I don't know if that is all overreaction or not. I know one thing, way too many fans base a prospect's future off of this tournament. It's ridiculous.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
Man, he's getting **** on by a lot of the fans in the GDT. People saying he hasn't finished his checks, that he's heartless, shouldn't be captain, blah blah blah. Then again, pretty much every player on that team is getting criticized. Haven't seen any of the games for myself so I don't know if that is all overreaction or not. I know one thing, way too many fans base a prospect's future off of this tournament. It's ridiculous.

Well, Canada was outplayed by Sweden in pretty much every aspect of the game, the whole canadian team looked disinterested and slow. Whether it's lack of effort or just an acclimating process to the larger ice surface I don't know. Singling Laughton out because he's the captain and you want him to be a leader out there is understandable - but he was far from the only one who had a bad game.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
That's because people never saw him play and just looked at his stats and labeled him with the "goon" tag. The guy had great size and soft hands. He wasn't at the top of my list but he got too much unwarranted hate around these parts. The good thing about guys like Wilson are even if they never reach their full potential on the offensive side, they add value in other parts of the game.

OT but i really like Wilson

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005

I haven't been impressed with Laughton in the 3 exhibition games. I'm used to seeing him be The Man for Oshawa and wasn't surprised one bit when he was named captain. That said I haven't been impressed by Team Canada so far other than Drouin, McDavid and Ekblad. Hopefully they get it going now that the games count...wouldn't be the first time.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Downie - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Laughton - Raffl

or you could send rinaldo down bring up cousins or akensson (probably mispelled) have 4 really solid lines that can score and defend .... but switch hartnell and raffl hartsy plays like a 4th liner anyways mine as well put him there

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00