News Article: Scott Laughton named Team Canada captain for WJHC

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
This is just another testament to how much Laughton has progressed this year. Before the season began there were questions as to if he's even make the team. (Most assumed he would, but I saw him absent on some lists.) Now he's going to captian the squad. Congrats to Scott. The Flyers definitely made the right call in letting him go back to juniors.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This is just another testament to how much Laughton has progressed this year. Before the season began there were questions as to if he's even make the team. (Most assumed he would, but I saw him absent on some lists.) Now he's going to captian the squad. Congrats to Scott. The Flyers definitely made the right call in letting him go back to juniors.

Really? Didn't everyone rave about how he was the best player in the OHL last year? I thought the general consensus was the only way he was off the team was if he was in the NHL and the Flyers wouldn't let him.

Akanon

Apr 15, 2012
That's great news! :handclap:

Bb2w9lkIgAAcYV7.jpg

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Remember when all of HFBoards laughed at us for this pick?

Then again...we chose him before Olli Maatta...who most of us wanted instead...who now has 36 GP with the Penguins.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Then again...we chose him before Olli Maatta...who most of us wanted instead...who now has 36 GP with the Penguins.

Yeah, I still think I would prefer Maata. Not complaining about Laughton and not knocking him at all, but this team still has a glut of centers and a lack of defense.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
It's gonna be hard for me to root against Canada this year. It would be awesome to see this kid lead the team to gold. Gotta root for the U.S. though. :nod:

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany

Thank God they Caps took Tom Wilson.

And yes, I'm serious.

Laughton is going to be awesome. So much Mike Richards in him.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Thank God they Caps took Tom Wilson.

And yes, I'm serious.

Laughton is going to be awesome. So much Mike Richards in him.

Giroux
Lecavalier
Schenn
Couturier
Laughton

Ugh...fitting him in the lineup is going to be a nightmare next year.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Love it. As for the pressure on Laughton's shoulders, these are the types of situations that he absolutely thrives in. I expect him to have a monster tournament. He might not be the leading scorer on the club, but I certainly expect him to be Team Canada's most important forward.

I agree. This kid is a born leader and you know he and his family are just pumped about him being named captain. I cannot wait for the day when he plays for the Flyers full time. This kid is a winner and will be a nice addition to the club. Looks like Holmgren made the right call about Scott's future.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Giroux
Lecavalier
Schenn
Couturier
Laughton

Honestly, I'd like to see us try Voracek on the left wing for a while. He shoots left, and I don't think playing the off wing has really benefitted him all that much. It's not like he's firing shots from the top of the circle every time he gets the puck.

That would make room to move both Vinny and Brayden to RW, and make room for G/Couts/Laughton down the middle.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Giroux
Lecavalier
Schenn
Couturier
Laughton

I hope he isn't on the Flyers roster next season. I want him developing as the Phantoms #1 center at a professional level. Right now he's tearing it up in Juniors because he has no more developing to do at that level. In the AHL, he'd be playing with and competing against much better talent than in the OHL, which would give us an idea of how well he's progressed and how ready he is for the NHL level. I wanna see this golden nugget develop under an umbrella of patience. Im not saying keep him in the minors until he is 24-25 like Detroit does with their prospects, but one full year in the AHL would be good imo.

Also once the OHL season is over, Laughton can be loaned to the Phantoms and finish out their season. That's 12 - 15 AHL games, I believe. Happened last season.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I think Lecavalier is going to wing full time soon.

Schenn either wing or packaged I imagine.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Downie - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Laughton - Raffl

I'm starting to think that's what our forwards will look like next year. I don't think Laughton gets a year in the AHL, though some of us mentioned it. I kind of want that, but I'm not going to argue with the Flyers' brass when it comes to choosing who to bring up when at forward.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I like that forward lineup, but there won't be much money left over to sign a top defenseman once they give raises to Mason, Downie and Raffl.

Giroux
Lecavalier
Schenn
Couturier
Laughton

Vinny and BSchenn can both play wing, and I think Schenn's lack of hockey smarts, faceoff skills and defensive prowess make him a better fit there. And there's no reason Laughton can't start out on the 4th line.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

Not I. I wanted Wilson but was happy to land Laughton. Chris you should know me by now....old school:). Those two had "FLYER" all over them. Just a great day for a future Flyer.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I like that forward lineup, but there won't be much money left over to sign a top defenseman once they give raises to Mason, Downie and Raffl.

Hartnell (4.75) - Giroux (8.28) - Voracek (4.25)
Schenn (3.00) - Lecavalier (4.50) - Simmonds (3.98)
Downie (3.00) - Couturier (1.75) - Read (3.63)
Rinaldo (0.75) - Laughton (0.89) - Raffl (1.25)
Rosehill (0.68)

Timonen (5.75) - Coburn (4.50)
Streit (5.35) - Grossmann (3.50)
Gustafsson (1.25) - Schenn (3.60)
Lauridsen (0.60)

Mason (3.50)
Emery (1.50)

TOTAL SIGNED: 51.01m
ESTIMATED UNSIGNED: 19.25m
TOTAL SPACE USED: 70.26m
PROJECTED SALARY CAP: 71.00m
PROJECTED CAP SPACE: 00.74m

If the cap raises to $71.00m as projected, it is possible I guess.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I know I was praying to the TV God's for Matta to slide to us. Then it happened. Then I proceded to SCREAM VIOLENTLY at Holmgren for the Laughton pick. Then last year, I was made to look foolish. This year, well both have looked great.

I am hoping Laughton slides into the #3 C role next year, bump Couts up to the 1st line and throw G on the wing.

Giroux Couts Voracek
Schenn Vinny Simmonds
Hartnell Laughton Read

Allow Couts to cover those guys defensively like Bozak does for JVR and Kessel. Go head to head against teams top lines. Allow Laughton to go against the 2nd line of other teams and then Vinny to go against 3rd liners.

Great job Laughton!

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Not I. I wanted Wilson but was happy to land Laughton. Chris you should know me by now....old school:). Those two had "FLYER" all over them. Just a great day for a future Flyer.

You're like the only person on all of HFBoards that really wanted Tom Wilson then. Pretty much everyone around here thought he was an incredibly risky investment. I was one of them.

That said, Wilson, Maatta, and of course Laughton, should have pretty awesome NHL careers barring significant injuries or setbacks. We will see.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hartnell (4.75) - Giroux (8.28) - Voracek (4.25)
Schenn (3.00) - Lecavalier (4.50) - Simmonds (3.98)
Downie (3.00) - Couturier (1.75) - Read (3.63)
Rinaldo (0.75) - Laughton (0.89) - Raffl (1.25)
Rosehill (0.68)

Timonen (5.75) - Coburn (4.50)
Streit (5.35) - Grossmann (3.50)
Gustafsson (1.25) - Schenn (3.60)
Lauridsen (0.60)

Mason (3.50)
Emery (1.50)

TOTAL SIGNED: 51.01m
ESTIMATED UNSIGNED: 19.25m
TOTAL SPACE USED: 70.26m
PROJECTED SALARY CAP: 71.00m
PROJECTED CAP SPACE: 00.74m

If the cap raises to $71.00m as projected, it is possible I guess.

Pronger's $4.9m cap hit has to fit in there when the season starts. Take out Lauridsen and Rosehill and you're still around $3.5m over the $71m cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad