Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I'm highly disappointed - but not the least bit surprised - that they are bringing Bill Burr back. I didn't like him in this, or his character, at all. He's a real cliche. But ultimately it's not a big deal.

I was hoping and expecting the temple to open, but the triggering of the Force there will bring another Jedi into the picture somewhere, which is great. I have been anti-Ming-Na Wen since the beginning of my 15-year "E.R." nightmare, but again, it's not the biggest deal. There are only about a gazillion other Asian actresses they could have used, but whatever. It's fine.

Good episode. The events should trigger the acquisition of a new ship down the road, which will be cool.

Do you hate her because she's got Pittsburgh roots?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Yes-That-Is-Awesome-Dart-in-Neck-Old-School.gif
Boba Fett is one of my favorite characters in all of entertainment so to see him on screen with what he is actually capable of with 21st Century technology was and will continue to be awesome.

I know Mando should stand on his own in this show and some would prefer Boba to disappear but oh well! I’m amped.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
A thing happened in the latest episode of The Mandalorian that far exceeded my expectations. Holy moly is this good Star Wars content

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Is cloning a well known thing at this point in time? Obviously people know about The Clone Wars but do they know what the Clones actually looked like? I feel like we're going to see Rex show up and Mando be super confused because "Wait, aren't you Boba Fett?" It'll also tie into what they're looking to be attempting to do aka clone force sensitive people to create Snoke/Palpatine.

Also, i'm pretty certain that it's going to be Mace Windu that shows up to save Grogu and that's going to cause a shitshow because after all Mace decapitated Boba Fett's father right in front of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I was disappointed when I saw the new Mando was only 30 minutes long.

Then I watched it.

I have many thoughts, but I'll only list a few.

The Slave 1 flying overhead. This is the f***ing fanservice I signed up for!

Boba Fett going HAM on some hapless stormtroopers was great, although he did look a bit pudgy in his armor.

Baby Yoda tossing those stormtroopers was great. Then they shot him. Every single person on that cruiser needs to die. Even if it was only a stun shot. YOU DO NOT SHOOT BABY YODA.

I was a bit disappointed in the usage of the Dark Troopers. We watch stormtroopers getting shot, squished, and exploded for like 10 minutes, but the only thing the Dark Troopers do is jetpack down from the ship, grab Baby Yoda, and fly back? Weaksauce.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I’m a fan of epic fantasy and alternate history Sci-fi and I need some new stuff to read

Any suggestions?

I'll give you one that is way lesser-known: The Godless World by Brian Ruckley. Very straightforward, classic fantasy. Some people would be bothered by the fact that it is so traditional, but I would guess you and I have similar tastes and you would like this.

1. Winterbirth
2. Bloodheir
3. Fall of Thanes

I assume you have read the Xanth series by Piers Anthony, and the Tad Williams series Memory, Sorrow and Thorn - the first four Xanth and the Williams series are must reads. The Warlord of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs is kind of dated now, but I loved it when I was a kid. The first two by Terry Brooks, "The Sword of Shannara" and "The Elfstones of Shannara," don't hold up very well after 35 years, unfortunately, but Elfstones especially was amazing as a kid. I liked The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks, even though it is kind of trashy. All of Sanderson is good and worth reading, as is Malazan by Steven Erikson.

There are fewer good ones than you would expect, which is why it's hard to think of them.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I'll give you one that is way lesser-known: The Godless World by Brian Ruckley. Very straightforward, classic fantasy. Some people would be bothered by the fact that it is so traditional, but I would guess you and I have similar tastes and you would like this.

1. Winterbirth
2. Bloodheir
3. Fall of Thanes

I assume you have read the Xanth series by Piers Anthony, and the Tad Williams series Memory, Sorrow and Thorn - the first four Xanth and the Williams series are must reads. The Warlord of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs is kind of dated now, but I loved it when I was a kid. The first two by Terry Brooks, "The Sword of Shannara" and "The Elfstones of Shannara," don't hold up very well after 35 years, unfortunately, but Elfstones especially was amazing as a kid. I liked The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks, even though it is kind of trashy. All of Sanderson is good and worth reading, as is Malazan by Steven Erikson.

There are fewer good ones than you would expect, which is why it's hard to think of them.
Thanks Cap!

Loved Xanth and Tad Williams is a gem!

Shannara was good though Brooks let it run on too long.

Some other personal faves:

Stephen Donaldson’s Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Raymond Feist’s first few books in the Magician series

Goodkinds first 4 Sword of Truth novels.

The Wheel of Time, even though Jordan cannot write from a woman’s perspective, is still a great concept and series....But it was A beginning.

Your tastes and mine are pretty similar so I will def check out Ruckley

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Thanks Cap!

Loved Xanth and Tad Williams is a gem!

Shannara was good though Brooks let it run on too long.

Some other personal faves:

Stephen Donaldson’s Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Raymond Feist’s first few books in the Magician series

Goodkinds first 4 Sword of Truth novels.

The Wheel of Time, even though Jordan cannot write from a woman’s perspective, is still a great concept and series....But it was A beginning.

Your tastes and mine are pretty similar so I will def check out Ruckley
Second good kind and feist

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
And I still dig the fat f***’s ASOIAF, even though I know he’s gonna have a coronary before he ever finishes it.

There’s a chronological (or as chronological as possible) re-read that I banged out a couple years ago. The story flows really, really well when read that way. If you’re interested, you can find it here:

Reactions: BiggE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad