Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Nice! Things are about to get spicy!

Pun very much intended. I make no apologies.

So it ended up being far less action-y than I was expecting. I don't know why I was anticipating that, anyway. Quite good. Now on to Battle Ground before the last three WoT books. My wife has copies of Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, so I will read those sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
So it ended up being far less action-y than I was expecting. I don't know why I was anticipating that, anyway. Quite good. Now on to Battle Ground before the last three WoT books. My wife has copies of Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, so I will read those sooner rather than later.

I want to read WoT but 15 books or however long it is would be such a huge investment in time and money. It's not like Dresden where you can polish a book off in a day if you put your mind to it.

I enjoyed the next couple Dune books, but I think Dune itself is my favorite. God Emperor was so polarizing for me. I hated the first half and absolutely adored the second. I haven't gotten around to reading the last two yet.

Reactions: Here4ThaList

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I want to read WoT but 15 books or however long it is would be such a huge investment in time and money. It's not like Dresden where you can polish a book off in a day if you put your mind to it.

I enjoyed the next couple Dune books, but I think Dune itself is my favorite. God Emperor was so polarizing for me. I hated the first half and absolutely adored the second. I haven't gotten around to reading the last two yet.
Read Eye of the World and see if it hooks you.

It's a commitment, but it's no Malazan series. WoT reads pretty quickly. It definitely lulls in the middle (~8-12) but the start and finish are well done.

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015
Read Eye of the World and see if it hooks you.

It's a commitment, but it's no Malazan series. WoT reads pretty quickly. It definitely lulls in the middle (~8-12) but the start and finish are well done.

Malazan is shorter, took longer to read, and has thus far been more enjoyable to me.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015
Malazan is vastly superior to WoT, but takes longer to read because it is much more complex.

WoT is barely above young adult writing.

The characters are all complex, from the high to the low. You care about whether they live or die. It really is a fine piece of writing.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Finished up reading Dune the other day. Now I’m onto Dune Messiah. Very, very different book than the 1st one. Not a bad thing though!

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Mando coming away unscathed after being in the belly of the beast while everyone got acid washed was annoying. Good episode otherwise.

Agreed.

Good episode to start off. I agree with CF88’s spoiler

The point of that me thinks is to show how strong the armor is. It’s laying the groundwork to explain how Boba Fett is alive. The sarlacc couldn’t digest the armor and that’s how he got out.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
The point of that me thinks is to show how strong the armor is. It’s laying the groundwork to explain how Boba Fett is alive. The sarlacc couldn’t digest the armor and that’s how he got out.
But the armour doesn't cover his entire body. The clothes underneath were wet but undamaged. It's a poor plot device, if you're correct. In non-canon book lore, Boba Fett blew up the sarlacc from the inside and survived; I imagine they'd go down that path here, too, if Boba Fett is still alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad