Sci-Fi and Fantasy Thread - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
View attachment 352778
new, unfinished novel from Romero. It’s new material, not a novel using one of his movies as source material.

Loved Night , Dawn and Day but George destroyed the dead legacy with the crap he put out after Land (A meh but acceptable film)

Diary of the Dead was so bad and Survival of the Dead was one of the worst zombie films ever IMO

Anyone read this book to tell me if it continued the downward trend or does it go back to his original Dead idea's and atmosphere/storytelling?

Should just put out the original Day of the Dead script (Before it got cut down dramatically because of costs)

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Faith of the fallen was where I end my rereads of sword of truth. I I heard the books after the series are decent but I haven't read them.

Wheel of time was the best ending to a series. Sanderson missed a bit in the middle but man does it close well.

What are your thoughts on Malazan? It's a big investment for the set but I keep hearing good things

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Have any of you been reading the preview chapters for Rhythm of War?

Spoilers for the most recent chapters.
I think Kal and the windrunners are going break off from the Knights Radiant at somepoint, no one is going to agree with them honourably fighting and even sparing some of the singers/fused

Reactions: Flyotes

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Faith of the fallen was where I end my rereads of sword of truth. I I heard the books after the series are decent but I haven't read them.

Wheel of time was the best ending to a series. Sanderson missed a bit in the middle but man does it close well.

What are your thoughts on Malazan? It's a big investment for the set but I keep hearing good things

Wheel of Time was an unmitigated disaster - he "rescued" it insofar as it was possible for that mess to be rescued. The end was basically him upending the giant trash can that contained all the various plot threads and characters and sorting them out one by one. It's a miracle that he did as well as he did.

Malazan is excellent, but it's pretty easily the most challenging series out there in fantasy - there is no hand-holding whatsoever. I read the first 10 and felt like it was very well worth it, but I think that's mostly because I was able to relax and "absorb" it, taking what pleasure from it that I could without worrying when there were parts that I just couldn't understand in the context of the whole. There weren't as many of those moments as I thought there would be, but when they came up I just kept going and hoped to knit it together later.

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Wheel of Time was an unmitigated disaster - he "rescued" it insofar as it was possible for that mess to be rescued. The end was basically him upending the giant trash can that contained all the various plot threads and characters and sorting them out one by one. It's a miracle that he did as well as he did.

Malazan is excellent, but it's pretty easily the most challenging series out there in fantasy - there is no hand-holding whatsoever. I read the first 10 and felt like it was very well worth it, but I think that's mostly because I was able to relax and "absorb" it, taking what pleasure from it that I could without worrying when there were parts that I just couldn't understand in the context of the whole. There weren't as many of those moments as I thought there would be, but when they came up I just kept going and hoped to knit it together later.

I'm reading WoT for the first time and am just about to start book 6. I liked 1-3 more than 4 and 5 so far...but I'm kind of wondering at this point how there are 8 books left.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm reading WoT for the first time and am just about to start book 6. I liked 1-3 more than 4 and 5 so far...but I'm kind of wondering at this point how there are 8 books left.

Yeah, it's ... I don't know. What I would say is just ignore what I said and make up your own mind - there are plenty of people who love it unreservedly, and I'd be happy if you were one of those.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Yeah, it's ... I don't know. What I would say is just ignore what I said and make up your own mind - there are plenty of people who love it unreservedly, and I'd be happy if you were one of those.

Yeah, I've seen this take and a few other complaints as well - there certainly has been a lot of hair braid pulling, smoothing of skirts, men vs. women, etc... - but I can ignore or look past most of that stuff. I'm just curious what's going to happen to some of the characters and if the books will run into the same issue that the later books of ASOIAF did where the story gets too spread out with too many things going on at once.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015

I like how Malazan didn't give you any "ok, this is how the magic works, this is who these people are." and just pushed right ahead with telling the story.

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015
Yeah, I've seen this take and a few other complaints as well - there certainly has been a lot of hair braid pulling, smoothing of skirts, men vs. women, etc... - but I can ignore or look past most of that stuff. I'm just curious what's going to happen to some of the characters and if the books will run into the same issue that the later books of ASOIAF did where the story gets too spread out with too many things going on at once.
I'm a few books ahead, and it does. People disappear for looooong stretches and you begin to wonder if they've bought the farm.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
RoboCop Prequel Series in Development (and It Won't Feature Robocop) - IGN

A RoboCop prequel TV series that will detail the rise of Omni Consumer Products and the company’s Vice President, Dick Jones, is in early stages of development.Talking to Movieholen.net, Ed Neumeier, scriptwriter of the original 1987 movie, revealed that he is working at MGM on the series. “It has all the cool stuff about RoboCop except no RoboCop,” he said.

:shakehead

I don't remember it that well, so correct me if I'm wrong, but "all the cool stuff about RoboCop except no RoboCop" = "no cool stuff"

Sounds dead boring.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
RoboCop Prequel Series in Development (and It Won't Feature Robocop) - IGN

A RoboCop prequel TV series that will detail the rise of Omni Consumer Products and the company’s Vice President, Dick Jones, is in early stages of development.Talking to Movieholen.net, Ed Neumeier, scriptwriter of the original 1987 movie, revealed that he is working at MGM on the series. “It has all the cool stuff about RoboCop except no RoboCop,” he said.

:shakehead
So it’s just a cop show based in Detroit. Pass

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015

Yes. Yes it does. And I'm really not sure how time is passing at any given point anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad