Injury Report: Schmaltz Placed on IR, (UPD: Out for remainder of season).

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
The fact we fired our entire medical staff and replaced them, followed immediately by this season of medical chaos makes me think we really don't have a clue what we're doing, top-to-bottom.
Did we do that? I totally forgot if so. That's pretty troubling.

Reactions: doaner

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Honestly I think Schmaltz has been our best player since he arrived. I’d pay him.
It's hard to argue that, but what did you expect playing on a line with Kane, ooops, I meant to say Keller.;)All kidding aside, I bet he gets more than 6.5

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
So, we are blaming the doctors for saying something ambiguous like, "Could be a long time..." SMH

This is done in every sport - if someone just came back from broken ribs, why would you provide the information that a player suffered a rib injury? In his first game back, guess what part of the body every player in the league is going to target?

I understand that people don't like the fact that we are keeping things behind closed doors, but it's not like things don't happen behind closed doors already:

Reactions: Jakey53

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It's not the medical staff. Our players did not enter the season out of shape. This stuff just happens. If there is a trend of complications and unexpected delays in returning to the ice then I might look more closely at the trainers and doctors.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
So, we are blaming the doctors for saying something ambiguous like, "Could be a long time..." SMH

This is done in every sport - if someone just came back from broken ribs, why would you provide the information that a player suffered a rib injury? In his first game back, guess what part of the body every player in the league is going to target?

I understand that people don't like the fact that we are keeping things behind closed doors, but it's not like things don't happen behind closed doors already:

For me it's not the hiding what body part is injured that bothers me, that is a standard that many teams uphold. It's the not being able to diagnose how long it's going to take to come back that's frustrating. Player's going from day-to-day on Wednesday and then on IR on Thursday reeks of incompetence or misinformation.

The medical staff either cannot correctly diagnose an injury/the extent to which a player is injured, or they are just throwing out random timetables of days/weeks/months for return for whatever reason. Maybe they are trying to keep fans attention by low-balling the time to return as each long term injury tanks the prospects of the season's success and makes me less likely to pay attention to the team.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
For me it's not the hiding what body part is injured that bothers me, that is a standard that many teams uphold. It's the not being able to diagnose how long it's going to take to come back that's frustrating. Player's going from day-to-day on Wednesday and then on IR on Thursday reeks of incompetence or misinformation.

The medical staff either cannot correctly diagnose an injury/the extent to which a player is injured, or they are just throwing out random timetables of days/weeks/months for return for whatever reason. Maybe they are trying to keep fans attention by low-balling the time to return as each long term injury tanks the prospects of the season's success and makes me less likely to pay attention to the team.

You do realize that in the case of a torn ACL or certain damage, you may have to wait up to 3-4 days before the swelling goes down enough to do an MRI? Now, most ACL tears outright are diagnosed quickly because the athlete will hear a specific "pop" that they can explain to the trainer or doctor, but not everything is that clear. Especially harder when it is a partial tear. But, that is just one of the many, many ligaments in the body.

Most medical professionals are able to diagnose an injury fairly reasonably, but would you rather be the doctor that incorrectly signs off on a "day-to-day" and sends someone to limited practice where the player makes it worse, or take the extra day or two to figure out exactly what is going on?

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
It is way beyond me how to prepare high octane players for 82 games in 9 months and all the travels. This must be very hard on that medical staff/trainers to see all these injuries.

Chayka always highlighted how he wants sport performance at the heart of the franchise, so I have no doubt all of this is being carefully checked out. It would be enlightening if he gets into further details on this at the end of the year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It is way beyond me how to prepare high octane players for 82 games in 9 months and all the travels. This must be very hard on that medical staff/trainers to see all these injuries.

Chayka always highlighted how he wants sport performance at the heart of the franchise, so I have no doubt all of this is being carefully checked out. It would be enlightening if he gets into further details on this at the end of the year.
I wonder if travel has anything to do with injuries. Didn't Edmonton have a similar problem and few years back?

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Not sure if it’s bad luck, or if our medical staff is the most incompetent group of morons in the league.

In 2019, other than outright sabotage I'm going with the former....

Unless, of course, we haven't had enough injuries yet to claim it's negatively affected our season..."just an excuse" as some here claim :rolleyes:

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
The season of ‘what could have been!’ Maybe it’s for the best. See where we end up at the end of the year. Send hill back to Tucson and split time between pickard and Darcy. Best one is the backup to raanta next season.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Sad but not a surprise. This team is absolutely cursed.

And how do we blame the medical staff for a player wrecking his knee playing hockey? I get the concern if they misdiagnose and send someone back early only to get hurt worse but at least in this case that doesn't appear to be what happened or did I miss something?

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The season of ‘what could have been!’ Maybe it’s for the best. See where we end up at the end of the year. Send hill back to Tucson and split time between pickard and Darcy. Best one is the backup to raanta next season.

It'll be Kuemper. He's signed for next year and we need his salary to stay above the cap floor. So unless Chayka goes out and trades for/signs a 1A to buttress Raanta going forward, we're stuck with Darcy until we move to the Central.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Eh not surprising when you put together a speedster lineup with egg shell bodies. Not the trainers or docs fault they get injured. Does anyone really think this lineup will not face the same issues next year. We are literally built to break.

Reactions: huh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad