Confirmed with Link: Schenn, Manning & Weal file for salary arbitration

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Weal and Akeson are the same type.

Scorers in the AHL, not skilled enough for the top 6 in the NHL and not fit for a bottom 6 role either.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Hextall said filing for arbitration gives deadlines and typically helps the process along. If there are no deadlines, it can drag out.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Excellent. Love the two-way deal.

The couple of glimpses we got of Weal with the Flyers, he didn't seem to have that extra skating gear needed of a player of his diminutive stature, but I was hoping they'd be able to keep him in the organization.

He certainly is a top-level AHL scorer who, with the Phantoms' recent additions, should make them a legit title contender.

Plus, he's a nice call-up option who could still improve, given he is still young and was hindered by injuries last season.

I'll take Weal over Straka in the organization any day of the week.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Won't he have to be "waived" at the end of camp to send down? If so, they may still lose him.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Yes. I'm pretty certain that's why he was included in the deal in the first place. The Kings would have had to put him through waivers and feared losing him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
All part of the process. Hextall is creating real competition at both the NHL and AHL level. And all our prospects and players see it and should be working that much harder knowing that nothing is guaranteed.

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
I still dont get why so many have given up on Weal, he is only 24, and was a Calder cup MVP, I believe he also was one of the AHL point leaders, but was only given 14 games to prove himself?

That is an awfully small sample.
Is there something I am missing about the guy to warrant the disdain?

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
I still dont get why so many have given up on Weal, he is only 24, and was a Calder cup MVP, I believe he also was one of the AHL point leaders, but was only given 14 games to prove himself?

That is an awfully small sample.
Is there something I am missing about the guy to warrant the disdain?

I wouldn't say he "was only given 14 games to prove himself." He was given the entire season to prove himself, and couldn't crack a lineup that featured VdV, Read, and White. Once he was passed on the depth chart by Cousins I lost interest in him as a prospect.

I see him as a career minor leaguer based on size and skillset. The 2-way contract strongly suggests the organization views him similarly.

Not bashing the guy but he is way down the depth chart. If we need to be concerned about how well he can play it's because we got some serious problems with injuries, suspensions, or regression of players.

kingjmusicman

Jan 4, 2016
from nhlpa site, arbitration dates....

Philadelphia Flyers
Brandon Manning - August 2, 2016
Brayden Schenn - July 25, 2016
Jordan Weal - July 29, 2016

MillerTime2181

Nov 3, 2010
from nhlpa site, arbitration dates....

Philadelphia Flyers
Brandon Manning - August 2, 2016
Brayden Schenn - July 25, 2016
Jordan Weal - July 29, 2016

Interesting that Brayden's arbitration date is the earliest but Weal has already signed. I get that Brayden's deal is more complex, ect. but still interesting it hasn't gotten done yet. At least we know with two weeks left till the deadline we should hear something soon one way or another.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't say he "was only given 14 games to prove himself." He was given the entire season to prove himself, and couldn't crack a lineup that featured VdV, Read, and White. Once he was passed on the depth chart by Cousins I lost interest in him as a prospect.

I see him as a career minor leaguer based on size and skillset. The 2-way contract strongly suggests the organization views him similarly.

Not bashing the guy but he is way down the depth chart. If we need to be concerned about how well he can play it's because we got some serious problems with injuries, suspensions, or regression of players.

Weal got hurt after 3 games, and Hakstol chose to stick with guys who had been playing. I think he should have gotten a chance late in that Caps series when it was evident that we weren't going to generate anything 5v5. Cousins passing him on the depth chart should have nothing to do with his status as a prospect, especially since everyone was anticipating Cousins sticking with the team.

Probably a good candidate for Vegas though.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall said Weal will get a good shot in preseason with the WC players out, and that he will need to make plays and produce.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I love these contracts being signed. The most forwards that sign like Rask, the more Schenn can't get serious $$$$

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Hextall said Weal will get a good shot in preseason with the WC players out, and that he will need to make plays and produce.

I was surprised Weal basically got no chance to show last year. I don't remember seeing him on ice except for the last game of the season.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Weir weal read could potentially be a more offensive oriented 3rd line. Depth scoring is something we definitely lacked last year. Be interesting to see how camp plays out

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I love these contracts being signed. The most forwards that sign like Rask, the more Schenn can't get serious $$$$

I don't think Rask is a good comparable to Schenn. Schenn has had three straight seasons of 40+ points, one of them being nearly 60 points. Rask has only had one 40+ point season. If anything, this hurts us in Schenn's negotiations because he'll have someone with a less impressive track record getting $4 million per year.

Banger

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
I don't think Rask is a good comparable to Schenn. Schenn has had three straight seasons of 40+ points, one of them being nearly 60 points. Rask has only had one 40+ point season. If anything, this hurts us in Schenn's negotiations because he'll have someone with a less impressive track record getting $4 million per year.

Rask produced in his 2nd season at 21 what Schenn did in his 4th season at 23.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Rask produced in his 2nd season at 21 what Schenn did in his 4th season at 23.

Rask did not produce in his second seas at 21 what Schenn did at 23. Rask is (was 22 most of the season) 23 right now and has played two seasons. He has one 40+ point season at 22/23. When he was 21/22 he scored 33 points. When Schenn was 23 i.e., last year, he was in the midst of his second straight 40+ season. He now has three straight with one of them being 59 points.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Rask did not produce in his second seas at 21 what Schenn did at 23. Rask is (was 22 most of the season) 23 right now and has played two seasons. He has one 40+ point season at 22/23. When he was 21/22 he scored 33 points. When Schenn was 23 i.e., last year, he was in the midst of his second straight 40+ season. He now has three straight with one of them being 59 points.

McKinnon, Scheifle. Whatevs my friend. All work.

Either way, should drive down Schenn's price in arbitration.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So just Manning left now. If his asking price is too high (like $1,000,000) I really hope Hextall waives him to show that his value isn't that high before arbitration.

I doubt anyone picks him up on waivers, and if they did, that would be fine.

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
So just Manning left now. If his asking price is too high (like $1,000,000) I really hope Hextall waives him to show that his value isn't that high before arbitration.

i don't think hextall is that type of guy

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

That would be more than fine. Id go streaking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad