Confirmed with Link: Schenn, Manning & Weal file for salary arbitration

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Brandon Manning, Ron Hextall and an arbitrator walk into a room.
"Hello, Mr. Arbitrator, my name is Brandon, but you can call me Boxcar," Manning says, before removing a comb from his back pocket and planting it in his afro.
"Hello, Boxcar," the arbitrator says. "Let's watch this video of your most recent season."
The arbitrator puts a videotape in the VCR and presses play. With a growing look of horror, he watches until the end. He turns to Hextall.
"I mean ..." says the arbitrator.
"I know, right?" says Hextall.
The arbitrator looks at Manning for a hot minute.
"I can't even," he says, and walks out of the room.

:laugh: I particularly like that the Flyers organization wouldn't even invest in a DVD to show game footage.

I don't understand the afro reference, but that's okay.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
:laugh: I particularly like that the Flyers organization wouldn't even invest in a DVD to show game footage.

His agent would do best to try and sell Manning using still photos/illustrations on one of these old style projectors

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I probably should have said "perm" - there is a tight curl going on up there either way, just like my dad's in 1973. It just always seems like his helmet doesn't quite fit. Boxcar would explain that by saying "Check out the big brains on Mandog!" :laugh:

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I want flyers to sign Manning for a 2 year minimum salary deal, have him play 14 games during the season, then expose him to the ED. Therefore AMac doesn't have to play all 40 games. Just incase he gets injuried.

I guess the other option, maybe the smarter one, is extend Schultz one year, then trade him, or let him retire after the draft lol

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Agree. Agents are gambling

I really don't see it as gamble at all for the Player(s)... For Manning and Weal who will surely be <$3.5M is is completely to their benefit to file -- Schenn is another case and will almost certainly reach a deal with the Flyers who never let it get to Arbitration -- The Organization has already shown their wanting the two with Qualifying them... so at this point it is basically SOP for players to file for Arbitration when n agreement is not quickly reached... in hopes/expectation of settlement prior to the date... it gets the ball rolling, so to speak. There is no downside for them as I see it except the pains of Arbitration in the unlikely event it gets that far.

I see it as an expected step by them... and understand that the Flyers, while already committed to the Players/Assets next Season, do not want to pay they players as much as the Players want. While I fully expect Contracts to be reached, the worst the Players can do is the low-ball Flyers Offer... and the best is what the are asking for. I imagine that if it gets to Arbitration, the Players get the low number, based on their play the prior Season(s)... In any case, Manning and Weal cannot lose... and already have their Qualified Offer Raise.

... Hexy should have cut bait with Manning and traded away the asset that is Weal, as I see it... but it's too late now.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Who cares with Weal and Manning. Both can be waived and dropped down to LV. And as others said, Manning can play 14 games if need be to make sure we are exposing D that comply.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Who cares with Weal and Manning. Both can be waived and dropped down to LV. And as others said, Manning can play 14 games if need be to make sure we are exposing D that comply.

This is true... unless the are awarded or given more than $225K (Manning) and $217.5K (Weal) raises, which would men Dead Cap with the demotions. However, if they do not clear waivers we lose their assets... Someone with less depth will probably take a shot with Weal in hopes of his succeeding in the NHL... But, yeah; who cares? I agree.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hextall was on CSN this morning & was asked about Schenn filing arbitration. He wasn't blind sided by the move & said he actually prefers his players going this route if a deal isn't done by this point. He said he prefers it because it gives both parties a hard deadline to work with. He's still optimistic that something will get done before then.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Hextall was on CSN this morning & was asked about Schenn filing arbitration. He wasn't blind sided by the move & said he actually prefers his players going this route if a deal isn't done by this point. He said he prefers it because it gives both parties a hard deadline to work with. He's still optimistic that something will get done before then.

I like that comment by Hextall. Diffuses the situation immediately. Shows that he supports his player and his right to arbitration. And ultimately shows he just wants to get it done.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas

Of course, they'd also need to sign them to extensions beyond next year, right?

FadeToBlack

Jul 1, 2012
This is true... unless the are awarded or given more than $225K (Manning) and $217.5M (Weal) raises, which would men Dead Cap with the demotions. However, if they do not clear waivers we lose their assets... Someone with less depth will probably take a shot with Weal in hopes of his succeeding in the NHL... But, yeah; who cares? I agree.

gaddayum.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
gaddayum.

Don't worry; it's all performance bonuses. $100 M to score 100 goals in a season, $80 M to simutaneously score a hat trick and record a shutout, etc.

:laugh: :laugh:

Errrr.... Ahhhh.... You guys were aware that the NHL was jumping on the current NBA Contract payout frenzy, weren't you? :sarcasm:

[Note to self: Go edit that sucker... ASAP :naughty: ]

kingjmusicman

Jan 4, 2016
From eklund so grain of salt enclosed but....
Hearing that the Flyers and the Brayden Schenn camp are currently nowhere close to an agreement on a new contract. "Not even in the same ballpark... yet," said a source.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'd be quite happy to see Schenn go to arbitration. Based on what Johansson got last year ($3.75m for 47 points) I don't see how Schenn can get more than $5m, and at that number then Hextall can pick a one year deal and then 16-17 becomes another contract season for Schenn.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I keep forgetting that Weal is even on this team

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
From eklund so grain of salt enclosed but....
Hearing that the Flyers and the Brayden Schenn camp are currently nowhere close to an agreement on a new contract. "Not even in the same ballpark... yet," said a source.

In other words, he's close to signing.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Hextall runs such a ridiculously tight ship, there is absolutely no way Eklund has any idea.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Apparently the only person who can get leaked information out of the Flyers is FLYguy3911. :laugh:

Eklund doesn't know **** and our beats are useless.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Honestly, does Weal have any kind of NHL future? He couldn't get in to the lineup last year, and it is only going to get harder over time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad