Confirmed with Link: Schenn, Manning & Weal file for salary arbitration

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Weal is so forgettable I keep forgetting he's still with the Flyers... I really couldn't care less if he stays or goes.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Weal is so forgettable I keep forgetting he's still with the Flyers... I really couldn't care less if he stays or goes.

I want him to stick around for the Phantoms but have no interest in seeing him on the Flyers.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Are arbitration rulings all one-way deals? That's the only thing I can think about with Weal.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Are arbitration rulings all one-way deals? That's the only thing I can think about with Weal.

It's one or two years. The party being taken to arbitration gets to select the term. So in this case the Flyers would select either a year or two years on the ruling if it gets to that point.

Edit: NVM thought you were asking term.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Brandon Manning, Ron Hextall and an arbitrator walk into a room.
"Hello, Mr. Arbitrator, my name is Brandon, but you can call me Boxcar," Manning says, before removing a comb from his back pocket and planting it in his afro.
"Hello, Boxcar," the arbitrator says. "Let's watch this video of your most recent season."
The arbitrator puts a videotape in the VCR and presses play. With a growing look of horror, he watches until the end. He turns to Hextall.
"I mean ..." says the arbitrator.
"I know, right?" says Hextall.
The arbitrator looks at Manning for a hot minute.
"I can't even," he says, and walks out of the room.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
You all can laugh all you want, but the fact remains Manning improved as the season went on, and he and Gudas were a strong duo in the playoffs. His thunderous, crowd pleasing, standing ovation hit on loser Wilson in the playoffs should have automatically given him a 5yr deal.

Manning will be signed and compete for the number 6 spot next season. It's that simple so get used to it. Hak and Hexy like him, and they are the ones who really matter.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don't know how people can make any judgement on Weal. He never had an opportunity.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Don't know how people can make any judgement on Weal. He never had an opportunity.

I was excited for him and thought maybe he was a potential steal, but I soured pretty quick. I think he's just a tweener, but I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong. He's got very good hands, but the seemingly low hockey IQ/defensive ability, preference for center, being an undersized player without good skating (this was the most surprising thing watching him...he could be shifty, but his overall speed felt lacking and even awkward) or grit.

I will root for him though -- Flyer or Phantom -- bc he seems like a good kid and this past year must have sucked big time for him.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
Brandon Manning, Ron Hextall and an arbitrator walk into a room.
"Hello, Mr. Arbitrator, my name is Brandon, but you can call me Boxcar," Manning says, before removing a comb from his back pocket and planting it in his afro.
"Hello, Boxcar," the arbitrator says. "Let's watch this video of your most recent season."
The arbitrator puts a videotape in the VCR and presses play. With a growing look of horror, he watches until the end. He turns to Hextall.
"I mean ..." says the arbitrator.
"I know, right?" says Hextall.
The arbitrator looks at Manning for a hot minute.
"I can't even," he says, and walks out of the room.

Showing your age, my friend. Showing your age. :help::)

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
You all can laugh all you want, but the fact remains Manning improved as the season went on, and he and Gudas were a strong duo in the playoffs. His thunderous, crowd pleasing, standing ovation hit on loser Wilson in the playoffs should have automatically given him a 5yr deal.

Manning will be signed and compete for the number 6 spot next season. It's that simple so get used to it. Hak and Hexy like him, and they are the ones who really matter.

You could have told us beforehand, Manbox, that you were about to file. This board could have used a good laugh after the last couple of JonesyJinx days

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm

No, the arbitrator can decide upon a different compensation if the player is assigned to the minors.

Article 12.9(n)(ii) said:
The decision of the Salary Arbitrator shall establish:
(A) the term of the SPC, based upon the Player's or Club's election of a
one or two year SPC, as set forth in its brief and as consistent with
this Article;
(B) the Paragraph 1 NHL Salary to be paid to the Player by the Club
for the season(s) in respect to which the salary arbitration is
conducted;
(C) the inclusion or otherwise of a Minor League clause (or clauses)
and the amount of Paragraph 1 Minor League Salary to be paid
under each of the season(s) in respect to which the salary
arbitration is requested;
(D) a brief statement of the reasons for the decision, including
identification of any comparable(s) relied on.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
12.10 Walk-Away Rights for Player-Elected Salary Arbitration.
(a) If a Club has elected to arbitrate a one-year SPC, and the award issued is for
$3,500,000 or more per annum, then the Club may, within forty-eight (48) hours after the award
of the Salary Arbitrator is issued (or, if a Club has any other Player still eligible for salary
arbitration at that time and for whom a decision has not been rendered by a Salary Arbitrator at
that time, and the Club still has a walk-away right available to it in such League Year pursuant to
paragraph (c) below, forty-eight (48) hours after the award of the Salary Arbitrator for such other
Player is issued or that Player's salary arbitration case is settled), notify the Player or his
Certified Agent, if any, the NHLPA and the NHL in writing, in accordance with Exhibit 3
hereof, that it does not intend to tender to the Player an SPC based on the award as determined
by the Salary Arbitrator. Upon receipt of that notice, the Player shall automatically be deemed to
be an Unrestricted Free Agent.

(b) If a Club has elected to arbitrate a two-year SPC and the award issued is for
$3,500,000 or more per annum, then the Club may, within forty-eight (48) hours after the award
of the Salary Arbitrator is issued (or, if a Club has any other Player still eligible for salary
arbitration at that time and for whom a decision has not been rendered by a Salary Arbitrator at
that time, and the Club still has a walk-away right available to it in such League Year pursuant to
paragraph (c) below, forty-eight (48) hours after the award of the Salary Arbitrator for such other
Player is issued or that salary arbitration case is settled), notify the Player or his Certified Agent,
if any, the NHLPA and the NHL in writing, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof, that it does not
intend to tender to the Player a two-year SPC based on the award as determined by the Salary
Arbitrator. Upon receipt of that notice, the Player and the Club shall enter into a one-year SPC
providing for the compensation set forth in the award and the Player will automatically be
deemed to be an Unrestricted Free Agent at the conclusion of that one-year SPC, subject to the
provisions of paragraph (c) below.

(c) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraphs (a) and (b) above, a Club may
exercise the walk-away rights referred to therein not more than one (1) time in a League Year in
which the Club has only one (1) salary arbitration award, one (1) time in a League Year in which
the Club has two (2) salary arbitration awards, two (2) times in any League Year in which the
Club has three (3) salary arbitration awards, two (2) times in any League Year in which the Club
has four (4) salary arbitration awards, three (3) times in any League Year in which the Club has
five (5) salary arbitration awards and so on. If a Club exercises its walk-away right with respect
to a two-year award, the walk-away right shall be deemed to be exercised in the first year of the
two-year SPC.

(d) The dollar amount of $3,500,000 set forth in each of paragraphs (a) and (b) above
shall be increased on an annual basis at the same percentage rate of annual increase as the
Average League Salary, with the first such increase occurring based upon a comparison of the
2014/15 Average League Salary to the 2013/14 Average League Salary. By way of example, if
the Average League Salary for the 2014/15 League Year has increased by ten (10) percent from
the Average League Salary for the 2013/14 League Year, then the figure of $3,500,000 stated in
paragraphs (a) and (b) above shall be increased by ten (10) percent to $3,850,000.

(e) No Club shall be entitled to walk away from any award in a Club-elected salary
arbitration.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
If a price gets set by arbitration the two parties can still come to their own agreement correct or do they have to sign that contract/trade? Say Schenn gets a ruling of X mil for 1 year, could they then agree to a long term deal? I guess I'm asking if Schenn is just using arbitration to gauge fair value for a longer term deal.

Manning and Weal definitely fall into the wtf category.

MDZ
Gudas
Ghost
Streit
Schultz
AMac
Provorov

I realize Manning played over AMac last year but that was for cap reasons.

Last edited:

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
I realize Manning played over AMac last year but that was for cap reasons.

This may or may not be true, but I still say Manning's style translates better than AMac's for the type of D Hakstol likes. For the money, AMac is not a significant upgrade over Manning. Heck, even for the same money I would take #23.

I still think either Streit or Schultz might be dealt this summer, so then you are back to 7 D. Let everyone compete in training camp and may the best 6 come out on top. Someone will inevitably get injured, so the number 7 will move in(albeit temporarily depending on team need).

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This may or may not be true, but I still say Manning's style translates better than AMac's for the type of D Hakstol likes. For the money, AMac is not a significant upgrade over Manning. Heck, even for the same money I would take #23.

I still think either Streit or Schultz might be dealt this summer, so then you are back to 7 D. Let everyone compete in training camp and may the best 6 come out on top. Someone will inevitably get injured, so the number 7 will move in(albeit temporarily depending on team need).

You really don't want that since it would mean Manning's in the ECHL.

What you should be hoping for is that skill and intelligence are completely ignored and names are picked out of a hat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad