Confirmed with Link: Schenn extended for 8 years ($6.5m AAV)

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
If Schenn is available in the expansion draft I would be shocked if Seattle didn’t take him.

I see no way that Seattle wouldn't take Faulk and his contract over Schenn and his contract, if both are made available, especially considering the value of top-pairing defensemen around the league. Ron Francis has history with Faulk and knows how much the team and community have loved him. Schenn is always going to have the Dustin Brown-risk with that contract. I just can't see it.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I see no way that Seattle wouldn't take Faulk and his contract over Schenn and his contract, if both are made available, especially considering the value of top-pairing defensemen around the league. Ron Francis has history with Faulk and knows how much the team and community have loved him. Schenn is always going to have the Dustin Brown-risk with that contract. I just can't see it.
No reason to expose BOTH unless things go seriously wrong and you just wanted to bail on them. It wouldn't be bc it needed to happen to protect other players. If you protect only 3 defensemen Faulk could perhaps be left out but you would have plenty of space for Schenn. If you protect 4D then Faulk would be protected and Schenn could perhaps be available. But there isn't a scenario where you would need to leave both exposed.

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
No reason to expose BOTH unless things go seriously wrong and you just wanted to bail on them. It wouldn't be bc it needed to happen to protect other players. If you protect only 3 defensemen Faulk could perhaps be left out but you would have plenty of space for Schenn. If you protect 4D then Faulk would be protected and Schenn could perhaps be available. But there isn't a scenario where you would need to leave both exposed.

sure there is. Let's say in the next two years, the goal is to shed a big contract to sign a young break-out player (or two):

7-skaters, 3 d-men, 1 goalie:

Protected D-men: Dunn, Petro, Parayko.
Exposed: Faulk, Gunnarmeester (if still around), Bortuzzo

Protected skaters: ROR, Tarasenko, Thomas, Schwartz, Blais, Kostin, Kyrou
Exposed: Perron, Schenn, Barbashev, Sundqvist, Sanford, etc.

Theres a not unrealistic scenario where a 22-year RFA Kostin is more valuable to Seattle than a Cup-winning 30-year old forward who's signed through age 37. The Blues may very well have needed to go 8-years to get Schenn in the fold for the next 2-4 years, but they're by no means obligated to expose someone with more upside & appealing contract terms to Seattle in order to protect #10. I dunno...that seems like a horribly misguided selection for Seattle, considering the contract; having just watched Vegas go through the process (and quickly run out of cap space).

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Does that matter, though? You can't lose both. If you have a pretty good idea that an exposed Faulk would get grabbed up by Seattle over Schenn, why protect Schenn? This sort of a decision comes down to Army knowing Francis and what he values.

Reactions: Stealth JD
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I guess it would depend on who everyone else exposes. Either one would be very enticing to them I would think.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
sure there is. Let's say in the next two years, the goal is to shed a big contract to sign a young break-out player (or two):

Theres a not unrealistic scenario where a 22-year RFA Kostin is more valuable to Seattle than a Cup-winning 30-year old forward who's signed through age 37. The Blues may very well have needed to go 8-years to get Schenn in the fold for the next 2-4 years, but they're by no means obligated to expose someone with more upside & appealing contract terms to Seattle in order to protect #10. I dunno...that seems like a horribly misguided selection for Seattle, considering the contract; having just watched Vegas go through the process (and quickly run out of cap space).
Setting aside your specific choices, pretty sure Kostin is exempt.

Reactions: Nathaniel Lauharn

Stealth JD

Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Setting aside your specific choices, pretty sure Kostin is exempt.

I read found "First and second-year professional players and unsigned draft picks are not eligible for the expansion draft and won't need to be protected", but couldn't find the specific details of eligibility quickly. Both Kostin and Kyrou are 2nd year "pros", playing in the AHL. If both get games by end of this season, they'd qualify as needing protection I'd think.

But either way, there may be no need to protect Schenn with younger, attractive pieces being the actual threat of loss. (Sundqvist/Fabbri/Sanford)

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I read found "First and second-year professional players and unsigned draft picks are not eligible for the expansion draft and won't need to be protected", but couldn't find the specific details of eligibility quickly. Both Kostin and Kyrou are 2nd year "pros", playing in the AHL. If both get games by end of this season, they'd qualify as needing protection I'd think.

But either way, there may be no need to protect Schenn with younger, attractive pieces being the actual threat of loss. (Sundqvist/Fabbri/Sanford)
I believe that players in AHL who are less than 20 aren't considered pros for purposes of expansion if they play less than 9 NHL games. So this is Kostin's first "pro" season for expansion purposes.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Schenn is significantly better than any of those players. He would have to show tremendous signs of declines for them to leave him exposed to protect 1 of those 3.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

Blais would have to vastly improve over the next two years to be protected over Schenn. I am also curious as to your decision not to protect Sundqvist. He would be a top candidate for protection in my books, if we have the opportunity. I would at least certainly choose him over Blais.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
This is an interesting little nugget from the NHL's website about expansion rules. They claim that the rules are the same as last time, but then include this statement:

"All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits."

That would certainly be a change from last time when AHL players were eligible to be selected and would be a massive help to the Blues. That would make Kostin ineligible no matter what and would make Kyrou ineligible if he doesn't play 10+ the NHL this year. Once again, the NHL fails miserably at interpreting/explaining its own rules.

Seattle 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
This is an interesting little nugget from the NHL's website about expansion rules. They claim that the rules are the same as last time, but then include this statement:

"All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits."

That would certainly be a change from last time when AHL players were eligible to be selected and would be a massive help to the Blues. That would make Kostin ineligible no matter what and would make Kyrou ineligible if he doesn't play 10+ the NHL this year. Once again, the NHL fails miserably at interpreting/explaining its own rules.

I think it more likely that the article is poorly written and misstates the rules than they changed the rules regarding AHL players.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think it more likely that the article is poorly written and misstates the rules than they changed the rules regarding AHL players.
That's my guess as well, which brings me back to my last sentence: Once again, the NHL fails miserably at interpreting/explaining its own rules.

It's absurd that the NHL can't articulate its own rules in an article that's sole purpose was to explain its rules.

Last edited:

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

If this is the case, I can see the Blues keeping Kyrou in the AHL just so they don't have to protect him. I don't think that would hurt his development either.

Nathaniel Lauharn

Apr 30, 2019
I wonder if Schenn's contract becomes such a 'fear' that he wouldn't even be a consideration of Ron Francis' and the Seattle HC's expansion plans, to the extent that the Blues themselves don't have to use one of their protection spots on #10. The Blues could protect someone else and gamble that Seattle won't want the 2nd half of that contract any more than they will. By that point the Blues will already gotten two more playoff runs with Schenn and will probably have gotten peak value and performance from him by then. There's also very little reason to believe Schenn would be a realistic target for Seattle if one of Dunn or Faulk were made available, which in pretty likely assuming the Blues can extend Pietrangelo and won't want to go 4 & 4. Maybe you now protect Kostin or Kyrou instead of Schenn based on contracts alone, as both would have 2-full 'pro' seasons under their belt and be eligible for selection.
I'm pretty sure Kostin is exempt from the expansion draft due to his contract slide. His elc doesn't start until this year. He'll be finishing his second contract year when expansion happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad