Confirmed with Link: Schenn extended for 8 years ($6.5m AAV)

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I would think Bozak and allen would both go. But those two combined would essentially cover most or all of a theoretical Petro extension.
Allen will get a few games here and there and if he plays well, which he tends to as a #2, then some team may need him down the stretch if they have a goalie go down or completely fall apart. Ideally, they'd be off the hook for his salary without a buyout. Ideally I'd win the lottery too, so maybe it is all wishful thinking.

Reactions: Fitrix

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Is he the kind if player you give 8 years to? I'm not convinced.
28 years old with almost no injury history and helps you on both sides of the ice. I think it's fine. Sure, 5 or 6 would've been better, but then you're going to have to increase the AAV to make up for the lost term. I would rather do it this way and mortgage the future somewhat for a chance to take another run at the Cup in the next couple of years.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The AAV on this deal makes signing Petro easier. We likely have enough room now for Petro if we move out Bozak, who shouldn’t be hard to deal. They could deal Allen or Steen (but those are more challenging ) but not like we need to move them to get Petro done.

Reactions: Fitrix

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Love the cap hit (especially considering what Kevin Hayes got), but we definitely gave in on term. That will eventually hurt, but maybe not so badly. Who knows what contracts will look like after the next CBA and US TV deal.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Love the AAV, term not so much but I guess that was the trade off to keep the AAV low. Good deal.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Love the deal. Last two years are okay, part of the bargaining.

Army is playing this like a chess master. The extra money for Schenn comes when Bouwmeester leaves and he'll find money to pay Petro by moving Steen, Bozak or Allen.

Current annual ceiling for Blues is $7.5 million (Vlad and O'Reilly). Schenn makes a new top at $8 million and he'll try to keep Petro there.

Genius.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
I love this deal.

It years 6-8, he will be getting paid roughly what a 3rd line center will command with hockey inflation and a new CBA. Would a 6-7 year deal be better, of course. But sometimes you have to give to get and with him being on a line with Schwartz and Frank, he could easily be a 70pt center again and at 6.5 thats a freakin bargain.

Just my $.02

Reactions: Nathaniel Lauharn

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Schenn's game is built 99% on physical ability and 1% hockey sense so this deal will probably only look good for the first 3 years, but I'm completely fine with it. 4 more years of Tank and ROR so I want the best team possible for those 4 years.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Schenn gets an extra $1 million for being a Western Canada boy. They grow them tough out there.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I like it. You either give Schenn max term or you let him walk. Those are the options because he wouldn’t have accepted 4 years. I’d rather give him the contract than lose him.

Reactions: Nathaniel Lauharn

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm curious about what trade/move protection is in it, but I love this contract. Is the term longer than ideal? Absolutely. But that is the cost of doing business in today's NHL market. Here is the list of every UFA or pending UFA center signed between $5.5 and $7.5 mil over the last couple summers:

Pavelski: $7 mil x 3 years (he will be 37 through the entirety of the final season)
Anders Lee: $7 mil x 7 years (he will be 35 for the entirety of the final season)
Brock Nelson: $6 mil x 6 years (he will be 33 for all but 2 weeks of the final season)
Adam Henrique: $5.825 x 5 years (he turns 34 in February of the final season)
Paul Stastny: $6.5 mil x 3 years (he turns 35 in December of the final season)
Kevin Hayes: $7.14 mil x 7 years (he will be 33 through the entirety of the final season)
Brayden Schenn: $6.5 mil x 8 years (he will be 36 through the entirety of the final season)

I'd take Schenn and this contract over every player on that list with their contract.

He's a better player than most the guys on that list
Lee's career high point total was 62, which was largely done riding shotgun to Tavares and playing wing. Other than that season, his next two best seasons were 51 and 52 points. Nelson's career best is 53 points and he has been a 35-45 point player every other season. Henrique is squarely a 40-50 point guy and Hayes is squarely a 45-55 point guy. Schenn is a noticeably better player than those 4 guys IMO.

You can debate who is better between Stastny and Schenn, but Schenn has clearly been better as a Blue and Stastny is already in the age rage that people are concerned about. Pavelski is the best player in the group, but is also already in that worrisome age range.

I think there is absolutely every reason to believe that for the next 5 seasons, Schenn is overall the best player/contract combo of that group to have starting right now (or starting next season). $6.5 AAV is an absolute steal compared to UFA market price, which is why we had to give up a couple years that might hurt at the end. However, while the last 2-3 years may hurt, this isn't a big enough contract to be team killing. It is $375k lower of an AAV than Seabrook's and the cap will almost certainly be at least $6 mil higher than it is today by the time this contract becomes an issue. By percentage, Seabrook's contract was 9.63% of the cap the day it was signed. Schenn's is 7.98. Again, this isn't to say he will never be overpaid for the production he brings. But by the time we get to the point where it hurts, this will likely be the equivalent of dealing with a $5 mil headache today. Still a headache, but not a debilitating team killer.

And just for fun, here are some more expensive contracts at all forward positions: Couture $8 mil x 8 years until he is 38, Duchene $8 mil x 7 years until he is 35, Skinner $9 mil x 8 years until he is 34, Stone $9.5 mil x 8 years until he is 34, Wheeler $8.25 mil x 5 years until he is 37, E Kane $7 mil x 7 years until he is 33.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Current annual ceiling for Blues is $7.5 million (Vlad and O'Reilly). Schenn makes a new top at $8 million and he'll try to keep Petro there.

Genius.

Tarasenko makes $9.5 mil in actual dollars this year, ROR made $8.5 mil in actual dollars last year and Faulk will make $9 mil in actual dollars next year. So if you're talking about actual dollars made in a year of the contract, the top already exceeded $8 mil.

If you're talking about AAV, the AAV on this deal is $6.5 mil, so this contract did not establish a new top at $8 mil.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Great News! Room for Pietrangelo, and now Army knows how much he can offer him, and it needs to be quite long (which both sides will want). Now, they just need to get it done. The Blues will have a good core in place, and the best stability they've ever had. I'm very happy. I don't see a problem moving Allen, and reaching amicable leaving situation with Steen, and moving Bozak, within the next 2 years.

Reactions: Fitrix and Brian39

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Why not Allen + Steen?
Steen is going to be much harder to move than Bozak. He has a full NTC still in effect next summer while Bozak just has a 10 team no-trade list. Bozak is also the better player right now (and likely by the end of the year) and is younger. I think everyone here would prefer to move Steen over Bozak, but it may not be feasible and so Bozak may be the odd man out.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Great signing, fair to both parties. Schenn could have gotten more, but the 8 year term acknowledges his position. And he was willing to sign it now, which is a great service to the team trying to negotiate Pietro’s extension. This looks like a great move by Armstrong. I don’t care at all about the end of the contract being overpayment if he declines with age. Let’s extend this Cup window and reload for a few more runs.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad