Confirmed with Link: Schenn extended for 8 years ($6.5m AAV)

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Schenn is a lot better all over the ice than most HFers realize. When last most of them knew him, he was a powerplay product of Giroux in their minds. They possibly glanced at his goalscoring drought in the playoffs to justify their fantastical notions, but the dude has been incredibly consistent for the Blues. He'll fade over the course of the contract, but, uh welcome to every UFA-age contract. You can't always unload your vets for futures if you ever intend to win. I don't think it'll be as bad as a lot of people are predicting unless he gets some bad injuries.

Also, who cares if he's overpaid some at the end of the contract? Every good team is overpaying some people. No contract is signed in a vacuum. I swear, some obsessive knowitalls would rather win every contract like an efficiency minigame and never make the playoffs.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I'm going to take an unpopular stance and say that I don't think we have enough information yet to determine if moving Bozak or Steen next off season is the right move to open up cap space for Petro's new deal. If you're still comfortable with Steen in a 4th line role, then you're looking at who is getting moved onto the roster at that point.

If either Kyrou and/or Kostin is tearing it up in the AHL this season you're probably opening a Top 9 spot for one or both of them. At that point, we may be a better team with Steen for one more year on the 4th line and Kyrou and/or Kostin in the Top 9 to replace Bozak versus moving on from Steen and expecting one of our current Top 9 or Kyrou or Kostin to fill the role on the 4th line. Bringing up Poganski to replace Steen and keeping Kyrou and/or Kostin in the AHL is probably not the best thing for the team either.

I guess what I'm saying is that a lot can happen in the next 6-8 months and to try to figure out what the best move will be next summer is probably a fool's errand.
I actually agree with you. You make a good point.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Like everyone else, the length of this contract concerns me. Schenn plays a physical game, and so far his body has held up. The man seems to be made of clay. My concern is how long that will last. Otherwise, it is an excellent deal. Well played, Doug Armstrong! I would really like to know if there is any form of NTC, especially down the road. It would be really interesting if we had the option to protect him at the Seattle draft.

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
Like everyone else, the length of this contract concerns me. Schenn plays a physical game, and so far his body has held up. The man seems to be made of clay. My concern is how long that will last. Otherwise, it is an excellent deal. Well played, Doug Armstrong! I would really like to know if there is any form of NTC, especially down the road. It would be really interesting if we had the option to protect him at the Seattle draft.
First 5 full no trade last 3 are modified per Andy Strickland

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Schenn scored 17 goals last year, the least amount hes scored since age 21. If you adjust his goal totals to his average, 23 gpg, he is a 60 point center. I think this is perfectly fine for a 2nd line center who was pretty integral to your team winning the cup. As everyone said, the term is a bit too long, but it is pretty movable in 6 ish years. I think this is fair for both Blues and Schenn. I'm happy with it.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
The scary part for me right now is that the moment Petro signs (if he does) other teams will have that much more leverage in any Steen, Allen, or Bozak deal. Obviously there is plenty of time left but I’m not so sure it’s going to be as easy as some make it sound to get cap compliant for next year. It could hurt.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Happy with Schenn‘s #10 Blues jersey eventually being hoisted into the rafters.

As far as Allen being moved... that’s not going to happen. No GM is that stupid.

Reactions: JoshFromMO

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010

As far as Allen being moved... that’s not going to happen. No GM is that stupid.

He better have some 40 goal and 80 point seasons for that to happen - and it won’t.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
He's the oldest and weakest link at center between Schenn, O'Reilly, Thomas and Sundqvist with an expensive $5 million contract at 33 yo.

I'm surprised at the length of this deal. I also question his need at center. Robert Thomas is going to be an outstanding NHL player very soon.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Schenn is a lot better all over the ice than most HFers realize. When last most of them knew him, he was a powerplay product of Giroux in their minds. They possibly glanced at his goalscoring drought in the playoffs to justify their fantastical notions, but the dude has been incredibly consistent for the Blues. He'll fade over the course of the contract, but, uh welcome to every UFA-age contract. You can't always unload your vets for futures if you ever intend to win. I don't think it'll be as bad as a lot of people are predicting unless he gets some bad injuries.

Also, who cares if he's overpaid some at the end of the contract? Every good team is overpaying some people. No contract is signed in a vacuum. I swear, some obsessive knowitalls would rather win every contract like an efficiency minigame and never make the playoffs.
Yep. You can either never re-sign anyone and lose all your players when they hit the age of 29, or you can just give out a couple contracts that may be bad for the final couple years. The latter option is probably going to lead to more success and it's also more realistic. Every team is gonna have a contract like that. Oshie, who plays a similar style game to Schenn, is under contract with Washington until he's 38. I can go through pretty much every team but I won't.

And actually, the more I think about this contract, it's really not that big of a deal. Schenn will be 36 by the time it's done. And at 6.5 million, that might not be pretty in 8 years, but I also don't think it's going to be a huge anchor either. Think about it. We are currently paying Steen 5.7 to be on the 4th line. Yes we'd all like to get rid of his contract, but it's obviously not hindering the team because we're still able to sign players and we just won a Cup. So 6.5 in 8 years, due to inflation and the cap going up, really won't be any different. If we really had to put him on the 4th line in his final 2 years, that's not the end of the world at all.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Yep. You can either never re-sign anyone and lose all your players when they hit the age of 29, or you can just give out a couple contracts that may be bad for the final couple years. The latter option is probably going to lead to more success and it's also more realistic. Every team is gonna have a contract like that. Oshie, who plays a similar style game to Schenn, is under contract with Washington until he's 38. I can go through pretty much every team but I won't.

And actually, the more I think about this contract, it's really not that big of a deal. Schenn will be 36 by the time it's done. And at 6.5 million, that might not be pretty in 8 years, but I also don't think it's going to be a huge anchor either. Think about it. We are currently paying Steen 5.7 to be on the 4th line. Yes we'd all like to get rid of his contract, but it's obviously not hindering the team because we're still able to sign players and we just won a Cup. So 6.5 in 8 years, due to inflation and the cap going up, really won't be any different. If we really had to put him on the 4th line in his final 2 years, that's not the end of the world at all.

But, wait, didn't you know the only players in the entire league are superstars, kids who might become superstars, and completely interchangeable garbage?

Reactions: Nathaniel Lauharn

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Good point, NHL GMs are great at evaluating goalies.

That's why no GM would be stupid enough trade for James Reimer this year, no one would give Jonathan Bernier a 3 year deal, Petr Mrazek stopped getting chances after miserable seasons, Koskinen definitely wouldn't get a 3 year $4.5 mil contract with less than 31 career games of NHL experience, Mike Smith couldn't get a job this summer, Cam Talbot couldn't get a job this summer, etc.

No one is giving Allen a starting job. But there will be teams with cap flexibility and a young/mediocre goalie who will be looking for a veteran who can be an adequate 30-35 start backup who can be a good mentor to their other guy. Assuming Allen continues being the goalie he has been his entire career, he will be a better option for that role than any UFA that doesn't require multiple years.

We very well might have to retain a million bucks or so, but 1 year of Allen at $3.5ish mil is a decent option for a team looking for a high-volume backup without committing several year. It shouldn't be a difficult contract to lose unless Allen gets significantly worse this season.

Nathaniel Lauharn

Apr 30, 2019
I'm surprised at the length of this deal. I also question his need at center. Robert Thomas is going to be an outstanding NHL player very soon.
The NHL is an arms race. 3 top 6 centers is one of the best ways to compete. They'll all get their ice time as they earn it.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Glad Schenn resigned, but he isn’t in top 5 current Blues in terms of likelihood of getting number retired. Highly unlikely.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
One other thing that no one has mentioned is the expansion draft. Maybe we use him for the next two season and the expose him at the draft.

For the record I am good with keeping him for the duration, but.... that is always an option.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
One other thing that no one has mentioned is the expansion draft. Maybe we use him for the next two season and the expose him at the draft.

For the record I am good with keeping him for the duration, but.... that is always an option.
Can't rule it out, but I would be shocked if we exposed Schenn in the expansion draft (unless something completely unforeseen happens in the next 2 years).

Reactions: Blueston

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

I wonder if Schenn's contract becomes such a 'fear' that he wouldn't even be a consideration of Ron Francis' and the Seattle HC's expansion plans, to the extent that the Blues themselves don't have to use one of their protection spots on #10. The Blues could protect someone else and gamble that Seattle won't want the 2nd half of that contract any more than they will. By that point the Blues will already gotten two more playoff runs with Schenn and will probably have gotten peak value and performance from him by then. There's also very little reason to believe Schenn would be a realistic target for Seattle if one of Dunn or Faulk were made available, which in pretty likely assuming the Blues can extend Pietrangelo and won't want to go 4 & 4. Maybe you now protect Kostin or Kyrou instead of Schenn based on contracts alone, as both would have 2-full 'pro' seasons under their belt and be eligible for selection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad