Post-Game Talk: Scheduled win against Blues Affirmative | Canucks 4 @ Blues 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckage

Mar 12, 2014
Well, nice to get the mandated W against St Loo, who we've owned for years for whatever bizarre reason. Great goaltending from the Stork as usual, spread out the scoring, didn't wilt under (non)pressure. All is not roses however.

I'm really wondering about our d corps. Not just the usual Sbieksa = horrible complaint, I mean everyone except Tanev. Every one of our d pairs struggles so badly to get pucks out of their own zone. Every one has an unerring tendency to throw pucks up the boards to nobody except the other team. Every one loses board battles with alarming frequency. I know the forwards are partly responsible for the mayhem, the gap between them widens far too quickly a lot of the time, but I really have to wonder what Lidster's telling these guys sometimes. Edler's looking more and more like the Tortorella model lately; that blank stare as soon as he has the puck on his stick is distressingly familiar. Hamhuis, formerly a pillar of strength, has become increasingly erratic. Weber's the only one who can really shoot the puck...ah well.

At least we won tonight.

w00t.

Next!

Oh, so you enjoyed some of those crazy passes Edler made to setup Blues players. Maybe time he simplified his game somewhat.

Hamhuis is just amazing. He hasn't just gone from being a pillar to being a pylon, he has developed amnesia. He appears to have forgotten how to handle the puck. It's like he can't make up his mind what to do with the puck, so he just stickhandles into traffic or bats it out into the slot.

For all the flak Sbisa takes, at least he is able to dump the puck out of the zone, sometimes, without it being gloved down by a defenseman.

There's no question in my mind that Corrado should be one of our six regular defensemen next year.

earl grey

all the best posts
Apr 21, 2013
I'm not sure whats up with Hamhuis, I am used to not noticing much from him in the defensive zone (usually a good sign of a steady player) but lately all I seem to notice is him laying up eggs around our net.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
If I see a defenseman go into the corner under pressure, I only really trust that he will be able to make a good pass if it's Tanev.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Dorsett had the lowest TOI on the team. There ya go. Can we knock of the "Dorsett plays too much" thing now?

I can't believe the team was able to get up and win without a Dorsett stage fight to get them up. What an effort by the boys. I don't know what goes through Willie's head sometimes, cut back Dorsett's time, you cut back on the his game winning fights.

John McClane

Apr 23, 2012
Calgary, AB
16984070371_2884c2301f_o.gif

I never knew I needed this in my life until now.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I can't believe the team was able to get up and win without a Dorsett stage fight to get them up. What an effort by the boys. I don't know what goes through Willie's head sometimes, cut back Dorsett's time, you cut back on the his game winning fights.

I missed part of the game, but when I saw that we won I just assumed that Dorsett had rallied our boys with a nice fight!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Oh, so you enjoyed some of those crazy passes Edler made to setup Blues players. Maybe time he simplified his game somewhat.

Hamhuis is just amazing. He hasn't just gone from being a pillar to being a pylon, he has developed amnesia. He appears to have forgotten how to handle the puck. It's like he can't make up his mind what to do with the puck, so he just stickhandles into traffic or bats it out into the slot.

For all the flak Sbisa takes, at least he is able to dump the puck out of the zone, sometimes, without it being gloved down by a defenseman.

There's no question in my mind that Corrado should be one of our six regular defensemen next year.

Not much doubt that Hamhuis is gutting it out with an injury right now.....think when he hurt his groin he probably had the option of season-ending surgery or rehabbing it and trying his best.....just can't see how he's going to hold up during the playoffs....if the Canucks ever got a cushion and the last two games of the season were meaningless, it might be a good idea to rest him.:help:

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Hamhuis always seems to get excuses made up for him.

He hasn't been good the last couple years to warrant the "steady as a rock" title.

We really need to reel in our defense though. For us to have a chance in the playoffs we need Edler Hamhuis to be on top of their game every night.

Also turf Bieksa. That guy is a ****ing plug. What management and coaching staff see in him is beyond me.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
I dunno about you guys but I'm excited with this final stretch. The Canucks, Kings, Flames and Jets are playing for their playoff lives. It's practically the playoffs! How the Canucks go up against powerhouses like the Preds and Blackhawks (and the recently conquered Blues) this close to seasons end will define the team. These next two games are gonna be awesome to watch

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Hamhuis hasn't been much with the puck lately, but he's been very good without it. He was beast mode on the penalty kill tonight. His carrying and passing though...leaves much more to be desired.

I like that clamp-down strategy with the 3rd period leads. It works a lot better with the full complement of D than the stable of AHLers. Blues had maybe one or two good looks in the third, one of them on a "lolwut" moment from Edler. Forwards were soft chipping off the boards and out with very few icings, if any. Pucks got deep on line changes.

What more can be said about Vrbata...really? 29 points in the last 30 games, 11 in the last 6. Putting chances on teammate's sticks and burying every opportunity of his own. A real assassin.

Lack was sharp, has been for many games now...he seems to find a good balance between aggression and Melanson's deep-in-the-crease ways. He's deep in a groove. I wonder if he or Markstrom will start tomorrow.

Sedin line wasn't very visible until the third period, where they got pucks deep and defended very tightly. Burrows in particular stood out with several key clears, and eventually, the empty netter.

This team just needs Tanev so badly. It's a journey with some of the D sometimes, but he's just so damned steady. He had a couple of bleh giveaways, but had another businesslike shutdown performance.

Dorsett and Kenins checked well. Kenins had only 1 brutal blue line turnover tonight. Hansen continues to display a fervent energy with no hands.

When you see Horvat on the ice, it's hard not to have faith when the puck is in his hands. It's out of the zone or on an open teammate's stick before anyone can tell what he's going to do. How he can do that at his age is something remarkable and, honestly, it's unfamiliar to us Canucks fans to have a rookie blow away expectations like that.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I'm curious if we ever see Edler and Tanev get 25+ minutes a night(the rest of this year or even into next year). You see all these defenseman around the league playing those type of minutes and the less Sbieksa the better.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I like Kenins, I like Hansen, but can we please, please, PLEASE get some better linemates for Horvat?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad