SCF | (EC2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (WC2) Nashville Predators | Schedule in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
James Neal is usually the "hate" guy for the Predators but PK is up there too. I guess it's hard for Penguins fans to hate Neal since his reputation was earned playing in Pittsburgh. PK is actually loved more than I ever thought he was.

I think you'd find it really easy for Penguins fans to hate Neal. Not because of his dirtiness (but you'd have to be intentionally ignorant to ignore it), but because he was a playoff no show for the Penguins and just a d-bag overall when here.

I'm glad he has turned it around with the Predators and he's a much more complete player than the 1-trick pony sniper he was in Pittsburgh, but I don't think you'd have to look too far to find Pens fans who don't like him.

MoeManthaMustache

Aug 21, 2007
To me the biggest question will be how does the Pens Defense react to a more aggressive forecheck. That is huge. Ottawa system allows time for the Pens to collect the puck where Nash will be on top of them quick. If Pitts D keeps them in check, I say they take it in 6. IF not, Nash in 7.

Well that answer would be the columbus and washington series, and the result wouldn't be as good. Then again they are getting a bit more healthy on the back end.

That being said - Washington was by far the most aggressive forecheck the penguins will face this post season. Big, fast, aggressive... no offense against Nashville but that's not exactly what they bring to the table.

I think the penguins are better equipped to deal with pace and speed as opposed to size.

But if you ask me, I think the Penguins defense enjoyed the time in the Ottawa series, I do not think they will enjoy the same in this series.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
From what I've seen......Sullivan will adapt just like he did with some of those breakout schemes against the Senators. The guy knows how to make the most of the talent on his bench, that's for sure. It will be interesting to see how Nashville handles the Pens lack of concrete predictability through the neutral zone but more so in the offensive zone. That's part of why I was really hoping for a Preds/Oilers series, this should be about as exciting.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
I have no idea who will win this. The Preds have easily been the best team these playoffs. But I have learned not to underestimate the will to win of this Pens team (although I'm still honestly baffled by how they've made it to the finals with this battered and decimated blue line).

Really intriguing matchup.

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I think you'd find it really easy for Penguins fans to hate Neal. Not because of his dirtiness (but you'd have to be intentionally ignorant to ignore it), but because he was a playoff no show for the Penguins and just a d-bag overall when here.

I'm glad he has turned it around with the Predators and he's a much more complete player than the 1-trick pony sniper he was in Pittsburgh, but I don't think you'd have to look too far to find Pens fans who don't like him.

He's still just the one-trick sniper but has cut out the dirty crap.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I've watched him in Nashville and he looks a lot more complete than he did with Pittsburgh. His effort level is a lot better and he looks more like the power forward/sniper combo that he was early in his Penguins career.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Who do Pens fans think has a better release? Neal or Kessel? Two absolutely wicked and fast releases. I'm not just talking the shot, I'm talking the release of the show. Both go within a blink of an eye. That is not something you can teach. You have it or you don't.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Who do Pens fans think has a better release? Neal or Kessel? Two absolutely wicked and fast releases. I'm not just talking the shot, I'm talking the release of the show. Both go within a blink of an eye. That is not something you can teach. You have it or you don't.

Kessel when he's carrying the puck imo, but Neal by a country mile at shooting as he receives a pass. Neal's one-time snapshot is absolutely insane, and Kessel simply doesn't have it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Kessel when he's carrying the puck imo, but Neal by a country mile at shooting as he receives a pass. Neal's one-time snapshot is absolutely insane, and Kessel simply doesn't have it.

This. Both players have absolutely elite, filthy releases... but they're also both very different.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
From what I have seen Neal hasn't been dirty in Nashville but for some reason if the Preds are down big I can see him take runs at his former team.

Neal plays a hard but clean game for the Preds other than when playing ANH. I never really understood why everyone though that he was a dirty player until last year's ANH series. I don't know how he will play against PIT. He certainty seems motivated, so I'm guessing that he will play on the edge.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Neal plays a hard but clean game for the Preds other than when playing ANH. I never really understood why everyone though that he was a dirty player until last year's ANH series. I don't know how he will play against PIT. He certainty seems motivated, so I'm guessing that he will play on the edge.

the thing with him in Pittsburgh is that he didn't really play on the edge. He played a relatively soft game the majority of the time. He would then just randomly decide to elbow someone in the face or knee Brad Marchand in the head. It wasn't him playing on the edge where he just went over the line, it was a guy straight up taking cheap shots on occasion. It was really weird.

We saw his hard but clean game when he first came to the team, and then probably 10-15 times each season after that. He had a handful of games where he looked like an absolute force even outside of scoring goals. But they were few and far between for us.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
the thing with him in Pittsburgh is that he didn't really play on the edge. He played a relatively soft game the majority of the time. He would then just randomly decide to elbow someone in the face or knee Brad Marchand in the head. It wasn't him playing on the edge where he just went over the line, it was a guy straight up taking cheap shots on occasion. It was really weird.

We saw his hard but clean game when he first came to the team, and then probably 10-15 times each season after that. He had a handful of games where he looked like an absolute force even outside of scoring goals. But they were few and far between for us.

He must have changed him game after being traded. He is one of our better forecheckers. Cheap shots are limited to when we play dirty ANH.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He must have changed him game after being traded. He is one of our better forecheckers. Cheap shots are limited to when we play dirty ANH.

like I said, that's how he played when he first got to Pittsburgh. And he would do it on occasion after that. He was that guy in Dallas too. But Geno nicknamed him Lazy for a reason. :laugh: I loved him, but it was always frustrating to see how good he could be.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
kessel has a good release because he can shoot before you're expecting it.

neal can beat you with his release even when you know the pass is going to him.

they're just dif. like others have said off the rush its kessel, from a standstill neal

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

While i love Hornqvist and absolutely thought we needed that kind of player... i was highly against trading Neal... he followed the peior staffs nonsensical stance that cheap shots were how stars protect themselves...

I always thought he, more than anyone, needed a coaching change... glad to see him move on and be successful

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
While i love Hornqvist and absolutely thought we needed that kind of player... i was highly against trading Neal... he followed the peior staffs nonsensical stance that cheap shots were how stars protect themselves...

I always thought he, more than anyone, needed a coaching change... glad to see him move on and be successful

that I definitely agree with.

TheMalkinEra

May 1, 2017
To be fair to Neal, he did play with less then 100% knee after Marchand stuck out his head and try to take out his knee. A healthy Neal might have made a difference for the Pens that season.

PrototypeX85

Jan 18, 2011
The way i see it, the Penguins will score their 3+ goals a game. I don't think Nashville will be able to top that for four games. Still, I'm rooting for the Preds. I don't necessarily like either team but will go with the lesser of two evils here (IMO).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad