OT: Scenic images

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Where abouts is your home land?

It's Finland, to be specific Oulu, which is located in the middle of the country (but they call it the capital of Northern Finland) and where Puljujarvi's FEL team is located. I've lived in the US for a while and during that time visited Vancouver and some surrounding areas for about 10 days, but I've dreamed of a road trip for so long I'll need to do something about it. I wanted to wait a bit as it's a trip I want my kids to remember, but now they are getting old enough to really appreciate the trip.

I've also shared a house with a Canadian (when I was studying abroad) and have a Canadian colleague I've spent some time with outside of work too, both terrific people.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
It's Finland, to be specific Oulu, which is located in the middle of the country (but they call it the capital of Northern Finland) and where Puljujarvi's FEL team is located. I've lived in the US for a while and during that time visited Vancouver and some surrounding areas for about 10 days, but I've dreamed of a road trip for so long I'll need to do something about it. I wanted to wait a bit as it's a trip I want my kids to remember, but now they are getting old enough to really appreciate the trip.

I've also shared a house with a Canadian (when I was studying abroad) and have a Canadian colleague I've spent some time with outside of work too, both terrific people.

DUDE!!! Finland is on my bucketlist, so much interesting lore and music comes out of there.

Do you think you'd rent an rv and travel coast to coast that way???

Reactions: Whyme

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
DUDE!!! Finland is on my bucketlist, so much interesting lore and music comes out of there.

Do you think you'd rent an rv and travel coast to coast that way???

Sorry for a bit late reply, I was away for a few days! I'm not sure yet, there's a several options such as:

A) Rent an rv. The problem is I'd like to have it for at least 4-6 weeks so it can get quite expensive (four return tickets, rv etc.). Nowadays I rather invest most of the extra money so I'm more careful with what I put into holidays. Another problem is I'd like to spend time in big cities too so having an rv might not be the best option for that.

B) Rent a car + pay for the accomodations.

C) Buy a car+caravan / rv and sell them at the end of the trip. This could be worth it if the trip is something like 6-8 weeks.

D) Do an home exchange and maybe exchange cars as well. We've done this a couple of times with great success (without going into details our home is a pretty desired one in that regard). This time we could maybe stay in the house (and visit the surroundings) for something like 4 weeks with minimal costs. Then we could travel through the country for say 4 weeks by renting a car or something.

We'll see, at the moment it's still just a thought but hopefully we'll be able to do this during the next years.

If you do come here I'm sure you'll have a great time. I can give you some tips (budget, traveling etc.) and ideas if you like. Have you been in Europe before?

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Sorry for a bit late reply, I was away for a few days! I'm not sure yet, there's a several options such as:

A) Rent an rv. The problem is I'd like to have it for at least 4-6 weeks so it can get quite expensive (four return tickets, rv etc.). Nowadays I rather invest most of the extra money so I'm more careful with what I put into holidays. Another problem is I'd like to spend time in big cities too so having an rv might not be the best option for that.

B) Rent a car + pay for the accomodations.

C) Buy a car+caravan / rv and sell them at the end of the trip. This could be worth it if the trip is something like 6-8 weeks.

D) Do an home exchange and maybe exchange cars as well. We've done this a couple of times with great success (without going into details our home is a pretty desired one in that regard). This time we could maybe stay in the house (and visit the surroundings) for something like 4 weeks with minimal costs. Then we could travel through the country for say 4 weeks by renting a car or something.

We'll see, at the moment it's still just a thought but hopefully we'll be able to do this during the next years.

If you do come here I'm sure you'll have a great time. I can give you some tips (budget, traveling etc.) and ideas if you like. Have you been in Europe before?

I've never been off the continent. I've been from Anchorage and Fairbanks AK, to Cape Spear, Newfoundland, tuktoyaktuk, to the Mexican border. But never anywhere overseas.

Would love to go to Europe though. Explore the history, the culture and people.....and the alcohol lol.

Do you know many people in Canada?

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
My current base of operations for this month (Tofino)

View attachment 468064
We can grab a beer
BE4B1A17-1060-4584-B83B-F746C8EC8206.jpeg

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I've never been off the continent. I've been from Anchorage and Fairbanks AK, to Cape Spear, Newfoundland, tuktoyaktuk, to the Mexican border. But never anywhere overseas.

Would love to go to Europe though. Explore the history, the culture and people.....and the alcohol lol.

Do you know many people in Canada?

Only a few and one of them is living here in Europe now.

Those seem to be great places and there's a lot of interesting places left in NA, but I do recommend a trip to Europe at some point. Once you get here you may consider traveling around as it's pretty cheap and you can see such different places within short distance. It's pretty easy to see places like Amsterdam, Paris, Brussels, Frankfurt and maybe London or the Alps and of course plenty of smaller places on the way.

If you want to explore a bit further there's also e.g. Northern Italy with places like Venice, Florence and Pisa. It's 900km from Frankfurt to Venice, which may sound like a lot, but it's a quick road and really beautiful through the Alps. I've rented a cheap car and done that.

Unfortunately Finland is a bit further, but it's possible to either take a ferry from Germany or fly as the plane tickets are cheap. Interrail ticket lets you travel more or less freely during the time you wish, but renting a car is a pretty cheap option that I usually do. Unfortunately you probably have to return the car to the same country or pay extra, though there may be exceptions. If I had a month and wanted to see a lot including Finland one option would be:

- fly to London
- take a train to Europe/bus or train+ferry
- rent a car and travel around for a couple of weeks (Holland, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Germany, maybe Italy, Switzerland, Austria etc.)
- return the car and fly to Helsinki
- use Helsinki as your base to travel to Stockholm and/or Estonia (cheap)
- if you have time and money rent a car to head further up, maybe through the eastern side of the country (more lakes than anywhere else)

Norway is really beautiful and there's beautiful places in Spain (plus e.g. in Eastern Europe), but I guess it's pretty impossible to combine everything in one trip :) Sorry for a bit of European info, I hope nobody minds. No more of this coming :)

snag

Feb 22, 2014
From April. Sunshine, Sunshine, Lake Louise from the top of Mount Whitehorn and the Paradise Bowl at Lake Louise (a lot grander in person from over 100' up :)) Can't wait...got at least 2 week long trips this winter planned again (more may just spontaneously happen)

As you can see from the lack of people....COVID makes for the "best winter ever" ;)
20210419_132640.jpg

20210419_121344.jpg

20210420_092837.jpg

20210420_092233.jpg

Last edited:

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Horseshoe Falls, day and night.
View attachment 466451

View attachment 466452
It's been fun out here in Ontario! Too bad I have to fly home to all my problems tomorrow. :(

Yeah!

Ontario is actually really pretty. I was born and raised in Edmonton so I've been around the province and BC so much. Basically seen almost every mountain from Prince George to Pincher Creek. So the landscape of Ontario is an interesting change.

When you go outside of Toronto about 30 minutes you'll end up on the Niagara Escarpment and it's kinda wild how the topography looks a lot like Scotland. Hamilton has the mountain and if you travel towards the shores of Lake Huron you'll encounter the Blue Mountains which are very pretty too.

Then if you head up about 2 hours north you'll be in the Canadian shield and the beautiful lake country near and around Muskoka.

It really makes you appreciate just how beautiful this country is even so close to our major cities.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Imagine what early man used to think when they saw those. Probably thought the world was about to end.

People from Japan have a belief in their folklore that a child will be blessed if he/she is conceived under the northern lights.

They literally go to the Yukon by the bus load to go out in the wilderness in a van or bus, for the sole purpose of boinking at night when the lights are glowing

So think of all the orgies ancient man had back in the day because of an emerald fire in the sky

snag

Feb 22, 2014
People from Japan have a belief in their folklore that a child will be blessed if he/she is conceived under the northern lights.

They literally go to the Yukon by the bus load to go out in the wilderness in a van or bus, for the sole purpose of boinking at night when the lights are glowing

So think of all the orgies ancient man had back in the day because of an emerald fire in the sky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad