OT: Scandy's Rave Party: Pullin' a All-Nighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I saw this post on article on PCG and I figured I am curious and will ask it here:

'Do you turn your pc off when you are not using it? (windows, linux, pc, mac, watever you choose to sport)

Like the old days for us old heads, when up-time was an important non-important thing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I saw this post on article on PCG and I figured I am curious and will ask it here:

'Do you turn your pc off when you are not using it? (windows, linux, pc, mac, watever you choose to sport)

Like the old days for us old heads, when up-time was an important non-important thing.
I don't turn it off, but it goes to sleep.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I turn off my personal desktop when I don't use it, but I also have my OS on a solid state drive so it loads up in about a millisecond when I turn it on :laugh:

I just close my laptop to put it to sleep and I always leave my computer at work on.

Reactions: shoplifter

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I turn off my personal desktop when I don't use it, but I also have my OS on a solid state drive so it loads up in about a millisecond when I turn it on :laugh:

I just close my laptop to put it to sleep and I always leave my computer at work on.
Same with the solid state. They are a blessing.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Aren't SSDs amazing? I've put together computers as a hobby since I was very young. Upgrading to an SSD (for those who don't already have one) if the first thing I always recommend to anyone who is looking to upgrade and wants to see an ACTUAL performance boost. I did my last build about a year ago and made sure to include options for an M.2 drive as part of the motherboard I went with. Soooooooo slick. And the price has come down a bunch since then so I imagine I'll be sticking a second one in there soon enough.

As for me... I just let it go into sleep mode. It only takes a few seconds to fully boot but I just don't see the reason to shutdown (it's a desktop).

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Aren't SSDs amazing? I've put together computers as a hobby since I was very young. Upgrading to an SSD (for those who don't already have one) if the first thing I always recommend to anyone who is looking to upgrade and wants to see an ACTUAL performance boost. I did my last build about a year ago and made sure to include options for an M.2 drive as part of the motherboard I went with. Soooooooo slick. And the price has come down a bunch since then so I imagine I'll be sticking a second one in there soon enough.

As for me... I just let it go into sleep mode. It only takes a few seconds to fully boot but I just don't see the reason to shutdown (it's a desktop).

I do the same, it's honestly a great hobby to have. It's always super difficult to not buy computer parts when they go on sale on Amazon :laugh:

My desktop is super topped out, to the point where the only comment I can reasonably upgrade on is my graphics card. I believe I have a Radeon RX 480, which is a good card but I could do better. It can support 3 monitors, 2 at 2k 144 Hz and one at 4k 60 Hz, so an upgrade would be pointless.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Mine has starting freezing on me playing some games lately. It runs perfectly fine, then freezes. I had read that Prey has freezing problems, so I thought it was just that game. But now it's doing it in freaking league of legends sometimes, and I could probably run that on my toaster. Rocket league has no issue though. Any thoughts from the computer folks? I know how to put them together, but I don't actually know shit about them. I just know it started doing this probably a month or two ago and I really don't get why. With Prey it was doing it every time I tried to play (sometimes immediately, others an hour or two in), and with League of Legends it seems to be completely random if it happens. I guess I changed my video card at Christmas, but it still didn't start doing it until 3 or 4 months after that.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I do the same, it's honestly a great hobby to have. It's always super difficult to not buy computer parts when they go on sale on Amazon :laugh:

My desktop is super topped out, to the point where the only comment I can reasonably upgrade on is my graphics card. I believe I have a Radeon RX 480, which is a good card but I could do better. It can support 3 monitors, 2 at 2k 144 Hz and one at 4k 60 Hz, so an upgrade would be pointless.

I went a little bonkers with mine, too. Ended up spending a bit more than I wanted and in hindsight I kinda wish I would have waited a few more months for the new line of Ryzen chips to settle into the market because I PROBABLY would have gone with that instead of my Skylake i7. Though, I mean... I don't have any complaints. I just could have maybe saved a bit for similar or better performance.

I went with a 1070FTW GPU... which still somehow goes for about what I paid for mine over a year ago. It's honestly still more than I personally need though I know there are much shinier options out there. I think maybe the most ridiculous aspect of my build has to be either the case (it's a Fractal and it's about the size of a refrigerator) or the CPU heatsink I stuck in there since I didn't want to mess with water cooling. The Noctua I went with wasn't even their biggest model and it barely clears this comically sized case.

Man... doing builds these days is so much easier than 15+ years ago. The case designs alone make things so much nicer to work with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Empoleon8771

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Mine has starting freezing on me playing some games lately. It runs perfectly fine, then freezes. I had read that Prey has freezing problems, so I thought it was just that game. But now it's doing it in freaking league of legends sometimes, and I could probably run that on my toaster. Rocket league has no issue though. Any thoughts from the computer folks? I know how to put them together, but I don't actually know **** about them. I just know it started doing this probably a month or two ago and I really don't get why. With Prey it was doing it every time I tried to play (sometimes immediately, others an hour or two in), and with League of Legends it seems to be completely random if it happens. I guess I changed my video card at Christmas, but it still didn't start doing it until 3 or 4 months after that.

Test your RAM with memtest. Update video drivers. Maybe flaky power supply. First two are a good start, then it gets random.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Test your RAM with memtest. Update video drivers. Maybe flaky power supply. First two are a good start, then it gets random.

This is good advice. Could also be heat related but like 1566 said... could be a lot of things after you get past those first few he listed.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
My laptop is about to die. The space bar came off a while back and now it is barely working.

I put my laptop to sleep and then when it starts to go slow and will shut it down completely, half thinking that it will never start up again :laugh:

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
It sucks deciding between a dream and a safe career. I have been studying for the FSOT for two years, but I really need a MSW if I want to make anymore money than what I have now. I'm not sure how much longer I can wait. I've been stuck on the register two straight years now officially.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This is good advice. Could also be heat related but like 1566 said... could be a lot of things after you get past those first few he listed.
everything was updated and everything checked out in the memtest. I saw something that said to up the virtual memory so I tried that. I also cleaned out the fans a bit in case it's a heat thing. Not sure if either actually helped, but I played a solid hour of Prey without an issue which is probably the longest that game has worked so far. So fingers crossed. But it happens rarely enough that I really can't say so far.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
everything was updated and everything checked out in the memtest. I saw something that said to up the virtual memory so I tried that. I also cleaned out the fans a bit in case it's a heat thing. Not sure if either actually helped, but I played a solid hour of Prey without an issue which is probably the longest that game has worked so far. So fingers crossed. But it happens rarely enough that I really can't say so far.

Heat could be an issue with video card crapping out during a game. Prey could be pretty taxing, depending on what card you have.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Heat could be an issue with video card crapping out during a game. Prey could be pretty taxing, depending on what card you have.
Radeon RX 580. Happening in Prey makes a lot more sense than LoL certainly. I feel like that game is designed specifically to work with the lowest common denominator computers.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Mine was doing that and a can of air cleared it up. Make sure you blast any heat sinks too if you haven't already. A thin layer of dust can insulate and interfere with conduction.

ETA I think it's convection. Whatever. :laugh:

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Most modern CPUs should run around 60-65C tops. GPUs around 30C above that at load. Loose guidelines there, though. Very dependent on make and model.

Even if you've got plenty of fans and cooling solutions, dust and poor cable management can be real killers.

It sounds utterly ridiculous but I used to open up the side of cases I thought maybe had cooling problems and (after a thorough canned air blast-out) just straight up stick a box fan or something to the side of it. Actually worked, when that was the problem.

Is something stupid if it works? In this case... probably, yeah.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Most modern CPUs should run around 60-65C tops. GPUs around 30C above that at load. Loose guidelines there, though. Very dependent on make and model.

Even if you've got plenty of fans and cooling solutions, dust and poor cable management can be real killers.

It sounds utterly ridiculous but I used to open up the side of cases I thought maybe had cooling problems and (after a thorough canned air blast-out) just straight up stick a box fan or something to the side of it. Actually worked, when that was the problem.

Is something stupid if it works? In this case... probably, yeah.
I am currently doing exactly that. I refuse to call it stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad