Scandella slash on Tavares, hit on Nelson/ Scandella Suspended 2 GMs

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Whenya come to the games, KEEP YA EYES ON THE PUCK.. wuta wimp, i tell ya thas some great ol time hockey attas best. Good ol canadian boy's jus trayin to show his uppa body strenght wifa strong hackey play, not like them russian wimps, their NUFFIN NUFFIN I TELL YA.. M - U - F - F - I - N. Canada we the best. - Grapes â„¢

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Should have been a penalty shot. The slash absolutely impeded Tavares from making a move there. He was forced left.

Of course, the refs were clearly stuck in the '90's in that game. The Wild were playing 2002 hockey. Impeding was no big deal.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
Was far from an ugly hit, but the fact that he was fined for a hit last week may mean he gets to sit a game or two.

Exactly. I thought this went without saying, but I suppose his fine might have flown under the radar.
----
It was a good slash that helped disrupt the shooter. Good penalty to take. He got his money's worth for sure, but the right call was a minor.

Respectfully, those calling for a penalty shot do not know the rules of hockey. There was no missed scoring opportunity that needs to be restored, so there is no penalty shot.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
Saw a pretty good hook last night. Can't remember which game it was though, otherwise I'd start a thread.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Respectfully, those calling for a penalty shot do not know the rules of hockey. There was no missed scoring opportunity that needs to be restored, so there is no penalty shot.

I know the rule, but that is a matter of interpretation, and I've seen penalty shots called despite shots on net.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
He took a baseball swing at a guy's knees. The more I look at this, the more I don't like this. There is no reason why you would take a swing at a guy's legs like this unless you're trying to take out his knee.

I thought baseball swings were with 2 hands? No? Just one? Learn something new everyday!

RIP Boogaard

Dec 3, 2013
He was clearly aiming for the head.

I don't remember McSorleys punishment, but they are going to double whatever that was. DoPS hands are tied. It is a black mark to the game.

Edit: did they find the bottom half of Tavares's leg yet? I saw it fly up in the stands after the chop. I hope whoever caught it returned it to the Islanders.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Wait, I thought this thread was about a "vicious" slash by Scandella. Now it is about a regular slash and a totally different hit on Nelson?

It was started for the slash, but people started talking about the hit. So now it's about the slash and the hit.

Billy Mays Here*

Wow, can't believe he's getting a hearing for that. It's what we all feared, the NHL is starting to crack down at even the slightest bit of contact to the head, regardless of where the initial point of contact was or even if the player kept his elbow down.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Probably get a 1 game warning because of how soon after the Oshie hit this was, but it's likely going to be one of the weakest hits that garnered a suspension that we have seen.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Wow, can't believe he's getting a hearing for that. It's what we all feared, the NHL is starting to crack down at even the slightest bit of contact to the head, regardless of where the initial point of contact was or even if the player kept his elbow down.

Yup, you can't even raise your forearm and throw to the head while jumping off the ice anymore. Next thing you know you won't be able to ram someones head into the side boards or go knee-on-knee at center ice.

P***ification of the games continues.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yup, you can't even raise your forearm and throw to the head while jumping off the ice anymore. Next thing you know you won't be able to ram someones head into the side boards or go knee-on-knee at center ice.

P***ification of the games continues.

"Jumping off the ice"?

Not so much.

Also, pretty irresponsible of the Islanders letting Nelson play on the ensuing power play after a 'suspendable headshot'.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
He'll get a decent suspension just because he's had this many "iffy" plays in such a short time span.

They'll want to just settle him the hell down for a little while. He can reflect on what he's doing out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad