Scandella slash on Tavares, hit on Nelson/ Scandella Suspended 2 GMs

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis

Skip to 1:50.

The slash looks really bad from this video. You can see him actually pull his arm back before swinging his stick at Tavares' leg. There's no way he's going to reach the puck from where he is, so there's really no reason for him to be swinging his stick dangerously like that. I believe that he did not intend on making contact with the puck there, but that's just me. However, I don't think he wanted to hurt Tavares.

Probably not worth a suspension, but it's worth noting. He's been quite reckless of late.

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
Skip to 1:50.

The slash looks really bad from this video. You can see him actually pull his arm back before swinging his stick at Tavares' leg. There's no way he's going to reach the puck from where he is, so there's really no reason for him to be swinging his stick dangerously like that. I believe that he did not intend on making contact with the puck there, but that's just me. However, I don't think he wanted to hurt Tavares.

Probably not worth a suspension, but it's worth noting. He's been quite reckless of late.

Scandella's intention was to slash JT anywhere on his body to prevent him from scoring on a clear breakaway late in a tie game. I am not sure why anyone finds this so compelling. Players take penalties on breakaways like this all the time. Defenceman are taught that it is better to take a 2 minute minor than giving up a clear breakaway to the opposing team - especially tied and late in the game. Scandella had no chance at the puck, no chance for a hook, no chance for a trip - all he could do was make a diving slash like what he did.

Please stop mentioning that he had no chance at the puck - it is not relevant or in dispute.

PS: Skip to 2:20 and look in the top left corner to see whether Scandella made the right play.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Scandella's intention was to slash JT anywhere on his body to prevent him from scoring on a clear breakaway late in a tie game. I am not sure why anyone finds this so compelling. Players take penalties on breakaways like this all the time. Defenceman are taught that it is better to take a 2 minute minor than giving up a clear breakaway to the opposing team - especially tied and late in the game. Scandella had no chance at the puck, no chance for a hook, no chance for a trip - all he could do was make a diving slash like what he did.

Please stop mentioning that he had no chance at the puck - it is not relevant or in dispute.

PS: Skip to 2:20 and look in the top left corner to see whether Scandella made the right play.

I understand taking a penalty when you can hook a guy, trip him or even given him a little slash on the stick. However, in a situation where you can't stop the player by taking a penalty without risk of injuring your opponent, it's probably better to not swing your stick carelessly like Scandella did. I'm all for taking a penaly when it has to be done. But this was just a careless play where there was a greater chance of injurying a player than breaking up the play.

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
I understand taking a penalty when you can hook a guy, trip him or even given him a little slash on the stick. However, in a situation where you can't stop the player by taking a penalty without risk of injuring your opponent, it's probably better to not swing your stick carelessly like Scandella did. I'm all for taking a penaly when it has to be done. But this was just a careless play where there was a greater chance of injurying a player than breaking up the play.

Given that he did not injure JT (or at least it appears so), he did not draw a penalty shot, he did not draw a major, and that JT did not score, I don't see how anyone can claim that Scandella was wrong for doing what he did. You can say he should not have done it because it was risky, but he took the risk and came out clean.

NHL Fanatik*

It's not Nelson / Scandella, it is Nelson Mandela

The guy was one of the best players for years, you'd think he would get a little respect around here.

:sarcasm:

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Given that he did not injure JT (or at least it appears so), he did not draw a penalty shot, he did not draw a major, and that JT did not score, I don't see how anyone can claim that Scandella was wrong for doing what he did. You can say he should not have done it because it was risky, but he took the risk and came out clean.

JT did feel some ill effects of the slash, so yes, he did get hurt. Scandella also didn't prevent a quality scoring opportunity by JT, goalie made a save. It was a dirty play, he hacked at the back of Tavares' knee.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The slash IMO is enough for a 3-5 game suspension.

Should have been a 2 minute penalty, nothing more.

Hilarious that people in this thread are using things like he was aiming for Tavares knee, you're all looking at a slow motion gif.

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
JT did feel some ill effects of the slash, so yes, he did get hurt. Scandella also didn't prevent a quality scoring opportunity by JT, goalie made a save. It was a dirty play, he hacked at the back of Tavares' knee.

You can call it a dirty play, you can call it illegal, you can call it dumb - call it whatever you like. In reality, under those circumstances it was a good play by Scandella and may have prevented the Islanders from winning the game.

To me, a dirty slash is when there is no "hockey" intent to it. When it is done to hurt someone for no reason. That is a dirty slash. A slash done to disrupt a player on a breakaway is certainly illegal, and if really bad suspendable, but it is not dirty.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
You can call it a dirty play, you can call it illegal, you can call it dumb - call it whatever you like. In reality, under those circumstances it was a good play by Scandella and may have prevented the Islanders from winning the game.

To me, a dirty slash is when there is no "hockey" intent to it. When it is done to hurt someone for no reason. That is a dirty slash. A slash done to disrupt a player on a breakaway is certainly illegal, and if really bad suspendable, but it is not dirty.

Slashing shouldn't be considered dirty based on hockey intent. Plays are dirty when its not allowed within the rules of the game. By your definition, spearing and illegal hits ex. charging might be not considered dirty due to hockey intent.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's clearly a dirty play. It seemed more excessive to me then normal slashes given, the penalty on the play was fine and it was a "smart" play albeit dirty.
I have no problems with a possible fine on this play. Should send some kind of message at least that these desperate wild swings aren't tolerated.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011

Kind of like Benn slash on Zucker after he stripped to puck from him. Followed by a crosscheck to the head while Zucker was down. I don't think there was even a hearing.

The Cheat

Habitual Linestepper
He took a baseball swing at a guy's knees. The more I look at this, the more I don't like this. There is no reason why you would take a swing at a guy's legs like this unless you're trying to take out his knee.

LOL, no. Didn't marchand take a baseball swing at someone and missed, no penalty because he didn't connect. Intent was there.

marchand.gif

Regardless of why he did it, what if he had connected? The INTENT was to injure whoever just poked him in the jimmies. One bad move does not mean another one can occur just because.

And Ryan Miller who got run over by the Bruins tried to take a swing at the back of whoever ran him over. Watch that in slow motion, as he spun around he tried to hit him with his stick. No penalty because he didn't connect.

Time: 5 second mark, you see the swing, could have done some damage. Again, just because he was upset from getting run over, doesn't mean he can take a free baseball swing at another player.

But back on topic: You try diving at full stride and swinging your stick trying to attempt a desperation move to knock the puck away/his stick away. See how close you can get the stick parallel to the ice; it's not easy if you don't fall right.

Last edited:

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
Slashing shouldn't be considered dirty based on hockey intent. Plays are dirty when its not allowed within the rules of the game. By your definition, spearing and illegal hits ex. charging might be not considered dirty due to hockey intent.

A slash who's purpose is to impede a player on a breakaway is not considered "dirty" by anyone who knows or plays the game. That is just the way it is whether you agree or disagree.

I suppose if there was an option where a player chose to smash a guy on a breakaway in the head with his stick when he could have just tripped or hooked him, you could call it dirty. This was not the case on this play however.

I am not sure that a spear could ever not be considered dirty. I can't think of a case where spearing someone would be the only option you have in preventing a grade A scoring chance. So that was a bad conclusion to draw on your part.

It's clearly a dirty play. It seemed more excessive to me then normal slashes given, the penalty on the play was fine and it was a "smart" play albeit dirty.
I have no problems with a possible fine on this play. Should send some kind of message at least that these desperate wild swings aren't tolerated.

It was a pretty run of the mill slashing penalty. It only stood out because it was on a breakaway and the way Scandella had to dive to make it. There were multiple slashes in this game that were worse and not called as penalties.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Again, less than three seconds previous to the Scandella slash on Tavares, Tavares was slashing Scandella multiple times(to the hand and legs), finally causing him to lose control of the puck. It wasn't subtle.

If Scandella deserves to be suspended, then so does Tavares.

Or we could move on...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad