Confirmed with Link: Scandella, Pominville, and a 4th acquired for Ennis, Foligno, & a 3rd

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Looks like McCabe wore #19 in college (which is now available) and both #4 & #19 with USA Hockey (which we wish).

Not sure he does it but other guys have changed numbers including Ray Bourque so maybe he will.

I'm hoping Guhle gets a low number while we're on the subject. I've also read Bailey wants his dad's old #56 but the Sabres are making him earn it.

Bailey's dad wore 54 for the Bills and Giants. Did I miss something?

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Looks like McCabe wore #19 in college (which is now available) and both #4 & #19 with USA Hockey (which we wish).

Not sure he does it but other guys have changed numbers including Ray Bourque so maybe he will.

I'm hoping Guhle gets a low number while we're on the subject. I've also read Bailey wants his dad's old #56 but the Sabres are making him earn it.

No, Bailey already wears #56. He wants to wear #95 full time but said he will wait until he makes the team full time.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
You guys might be disappointed with what you get out of Pominville next year. He put up those numbers on the Wild's third and fourth lines. At the beginning of the season when he was still part of the top 6 he was invisible. On the third line he still had good linemates (usually Haula and one of Neiderreiter, Coyle or Parise). He is definitely in sharp decline. His numbers last season came partially from the fact that he had good linemates while playing against weaker defensive pairings. Scandella on the other hand is a good defenseman who had an off year because he was babysitting Dumba.

I think you guys are excited because you remember awesome Pominville. In Minnesota we watched awesome Pominville turn into mediocre Pominville. He spent a lot of time on the 4th line last year, and that is probably where he belongs now. Scandella should be the guy you are excited about. He is the sort of defensive depth a good team needs.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
You guys might be disappointed with what you get out of Pominville next year. He put up those numbers on the Wild's third and fourth lines. At the beginning of the season when he was still part of the top 6 he was invisible. On the third line he still had good linemates (usually Haula and one of Neiderreiter, Coyle or Parise). He is definitely in sharp decline. His numbers last season came partially from the fact that he had good linemates while playing against weaker defensive pairings. Scandella on the other hand is a good defenseman who had an off year because he was babysitting Dumba.

I think you guys are excited because you remember awesome Pominville. In Minnesota we watched awesome Pominville turn into mediocre Pominville. He spent a lot of time on the 4th line last year, and that is probably where he belongs now. Scandella should be the guy you are excited about. He is the sort of defensive depth a good team needs.

Scandella is the main thing. And Pominville will likely be on the third line with one of Kane or Reinhart...

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

Wait til you get a look at Ennis!

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009

I seem to recall Pominville always having a slow start to the year. I don't doubt that he's in decline and anyone expecting consistent top 6 impact will be disappointed no doubt. If he can play on the third line and at times fill in on the 2nd line when other people struggle, then head already better than Gionta.

Good to hear about Scandella. It seems like he was at his best playing with a lot of minutes a few years ago. Maybe he'll flourish playing with Risto.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Wait til you get a look at Ennis!
It is a salary dump. We took Ennis so we could resign Granlund and Neiderreiter. The Wild already have eight good forwards and a top prospect who is NHL ready. We don't need anything from Ennis.

Good to hear about Scandella. It seems like he was at his best playing with a lot of minutes a few years ago. Maybe he'll flourish playing with Risto.
A few years ago he was our best defender in the playoffs. If he can get back to that form he will be great for you guys, even if he can't he is still solid.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's had some experience on LW, I wonder if they could slot him in opposite Reinhart on RW with Eichel in the middle. Let Jack do the zone entry thing he does so well akin to what Haula was doing when he was lugging the mail and Poms was working well with him. It does put most of their offensive eggs in one basket.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
This was a lot better deal than I would have imagined... We didn't really lose any core-guys and we didn't lose that much of cap in the swap of two dumbs. Pominville likely is even more useful than Ennis was. I think the fact that Pominville had NMC and was willing to waive for Buffalo (perhaps pretty much only among the teams that were willing to take him at all as a part of any deal?) eventually made this deal possible and looking asset-wise so good for us.

Foligno had his moments, but he never really seemed to find the consistency and his efforts on top-6 role were disappointments regulary... While Pouliot is not exactly same kind of player, I think he replaces somewhat Foligno (while adding more offensive potential).

I just hope that those injury concerns relating Scandella are gone and he can get himself to the shape that he was season or two ago. We've had our share of shiny new top-4 guy being a big disappointment because of injury...

Buttons85

RJ & Rayzor Fan Club
Jan 31, 2013
Austin, TX
This was a lot better deal than I would have imagined... We didn't really lose any core-guys and we didn't lose that much of cap in the swap of two dumbs. Pominville likely is even more useful than Ennis was. I think the fact that Pominville had NMC and was willing to waive for Buffalo (perhaps pretty much only among the teams that were willing to take him at all as a part of any deal?) eventually made this deal possible and looking asset-wise so good for us.

Foligno had his moments, but he never really seemed to find the consistency and his efforts on top-6 role were disappointments regulary... While Pouliot is not exactly same kind of player, I think he replaces somewhat Foligno (while adding more offensive potential).

I just hope that those injury concerns relating Scandella are gone and he can get himself to the shape that he was season or two ago. We've had our share of shiny new top-4 guy being a big disappointment because of injury...

I have a soft spot for Ennis, but Pominville is most definitely more useful. He is infinitely more durable than Ennis and matched Reinhart's point total last year. The effect of concussions on Ennis's career/productivity cannot be overstated.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I have a soft spot for Ennis, but Pominville is most definitely more useful. He is infinitely more durable than Ennis and matched Reinhart's point total last year. The effect of concussions on Ennis's career/productivity cannot be overstated.

Gotta admit that I really haven't watched Poms in Minnesota. Those games I have watched Wild, he has been pretty invisible. But he's point totals from last year really surprised me...

During his last seasons here Ennis truly was a disaster... He was pretty much totally useless.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Gotta admit that I really haven't watched Poms in Minnesota. Those games I have watched Wild, he has been pretty invisible. But he's point totals from last year really surprised me...

During his last seasons here Ennis truly was a disaster... He was pretty much totally useless.

That is Pom's game now. Seems near invisible, but then you look at the score sheet and he's got two assists. He is slower now, but still a decent skater, still has a very good shot, and is an above average passer. Not gritty or a defensive stalwart, but plays smart. Very calm, possessed player, who can play in your middle six and and won't look out of place being the worst guy on the top line in a pinch. If he was signed for 3-5 more years it would be worrying, but for only two more you're laughing.

It's not like he is going to be causing trouble in the locker room.

I'm still pissed at this trade from the Wild's perspective.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I'm just excited to see the population of pominville sign go back up in the 300 level. ^_^

Do you think he'll still inspire all those longing puck bunnies, or are they married with children now? Or are those things not in conflict?

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
He's had some experience on LW, I wonder if they could slot him in opposite Reinhart on RW with Eichel in the middle. Let Jack do the zone entry thing he does so well akin to what Haula was doing when he was lugging the mail and Poms was working well with him. It does put most of their offensive eggs in one basket.

I think I would rather have a true LW and maybe a little more speed with Eichel but I'm not against it. Definitely a versatile group of passers and scorers.

Do you really think all of the offensive eggs are in one basket though? Kane-O'reilly-Okposo

Actually, I remember O'Reilly at wing with Girgensons at center doing well and then Bylsma never put them back together. I remember O'Reilly saying in an interview that he was able to produce better without having to worry about the defensive responsibilities of being at center.

Kane-Eichel-Okposo
O'Reilly-Girgensons-Reinhart
Poillout-Larsson-Pominville
Moulson-Josefson-Rodriguez

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I think I would rather have a true LW and maybe a little more speed with Eichel but I'm not against it. Definitely a versatile group of passers and scorers.

Do you really think all of the offensive eggs are in one basket though? Kane-O'reilly-Okposo

Actually, I remember O'Reilly at wing with Girgensons at center doing well and then Bylsma never put them back together. I remember O'Reilly saying in an interview that he was able to produce better without having to worry about the defensive responsibilities of being at center.

Kane-Eichel-Okposo
That line-up is a slap in the face to my philosophy on why O'Reilly moves to wing when Reinhart still plays RW.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
That line-up is a slap in the face to my philosophy on why O'Reilly moves to wing when Reinhart still plays RW.

I knew people weren't going to like Reinhart AND OReilly at wing. I'm not saying I do, but if it worked and made the team better, who cares really? Either way you are going to have natural centers out of position.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY

Kane-Eichel-Okposo

On paper, I rather like the distribution of talent in this lineup... but man, all the great centers we've acquired in ROR, Eichel and Reinhart and only one them actually play center? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad