Confirmed with Link: Scandella, Pominville, and a 4th acquired for Ennis, Foligno, & a 3rd

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Ennis looks like he's struggling to write his own autograph in that picture. The trade value makes more sense now. There's a good chance Ennis won't be able to sign all his paper work in time for the regular season.

Which is weird because he usually can sign his autograph just fine, he just never knew where to sign it.

I guess his history of hand cramps is coming back to hurt his ability to sign his autograph.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Which is weird because he usually can sign his autograph just fine, he just never knew where to sign it.

I guess his history of hand cramps is coming back to hurt his ability to sign his autograph.

With so many NHL teams moving to personalized ink-pads and customized self-inking stamps for players to stamp, rather than sign, sweaters, it's hard to believe Ennis will last much longer. Buffalo clearly won trade.

Ennis really needs to think about his future after hockey. Living with hand cramps / arthritis the rest of his life will be hell if he doesn't marry.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
With so many NHL teams moving to personalized ink-pads and customized self-inking stamps for players to stamp, rather than sign, sweaters, it's hard to believe Ennis will last much longer. Buffalo clearly won trade.

Ennis really needs to think about his future after hockey. Living with hand cramps / arthritis the rest of his life will be hell if he doesn't marry.
Okay, I get that your whole post is sarcasm, but I don't get the "if he doesn't marry" part.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The trade value makes more sense now. Him having a hip injury is a pretty big deal. Good chance he won't be ready for regular season. Hips for hockey players are a pretty big deal.

They traded a 3rd to only get a 4th and a pair of players who haven't scored a single point.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Does anyone else still legit laugh out loud when you look at this thread? As in we acquired a legit top 4 LHD and a proven vet RW1? Make no mistake, Poms is still a RW1 production wise and is still a quality two way guy. We got these 2 for NOTHING. I mean, Ennis has negative value straight up. He hasn't been productive for over 2 full seasons now. At the very best he's a mere 45-49 point scorer. More likely this year he'll play 55-60 games and score 25-30 points at best, and 13-19 points at worst in those games. Foligno is a decent fourth liner but he's a fringe third liner who can chip in 10 goals at best. He isn't a middle 6 forward he's a bottom 6 forward.

Botterills first legit hockey trade was a steal. Beaulieu for a 3rd was a once in a great while trade only feasible because of the expansion draft. If there wasn't an expansion draft and protection requirements you aren't getting a former first round dman who is in his early 20s and already a proven #4/5 dman with #2/3 potential. But this trade...this trade was amazing. This is a trade that turns a last place team into a wild card contender. We just immensely improved the blue line and our forward corps big time in one swoop.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

@TheInstigators - Jason Pominville: "I'm pumped. I'm really excited. We couldn't be happier to be back."
@TheInstigators - Pominville on Marco Scandella: "He does everything really well. He's got a huge shot. He's a horse to play against defensively."

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Does anyone else still legit laugh out loud when you look at this thread? As in we acquired a legit top 4 LHD and a proven vet RW1? Make no mistake, Poms is still a RW1 production wise and is still a quality two way guy. We got these 2 for NOTHING. I mean, Ennis has negative value straight up. He hasn't been productive for over 2 full seasons now. At the very best he's a mere 45-49 point scorer. More likely this year he'll play 55-60 games and score 25-30 points at best, and 13-19 points at worst in those games. Foligno is a decent fourth liner but he's a fringe third liner who can chip in 10 goals at best. He isn't a middle 6 forward he's a bottom 6 forward.

Botterills first legit hockey trade was a steal. Beaulieu for a 3rd was a once in a great while trade only feasible because of the expansion draft. If there wasn't an expansion draft and protection requirements you aren't getting a former first round dman who is in his early 20s and already a proven #4/5 dman with #2/3 potential. But this trade...this trade was amazing. This is a trade that turns a last place team into a wild card contender. We just immensely improved the blue line and our forward corps big time in one swoop.

No he's not. He's a 3rd or 4th liner that can producer in limited ice time. He's not the player you remember. I think he will be a solid contributor for us, but calling him a first line RWer is just setting yourself up for massive disappointment.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
No he's not. He's a 3rd or 4th liner that can producer in limited ice time. He's not the player you remember. I think he will be a solid contributor for us, but calling him a first line RWer is just setting yourself up for massive disappointment.

I'd call him an effective RW who could move up and down the lines as needed. But you wouldn't want to give him big ES minutes. I think the 1st liner vs 3rd/4th liner is getting off track. I can see him at various points playing on any of the lines.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

Yes, he actually is. Just like how Vanek is also a LW1. Do I think Poms is still a 65-70 point player capable of an 80 point season? Of course not. But you need to look at production among positions and realize ~45-49 points is low end first line production at wing. Pominville has been top 30 in RW scoring virtually every season and the same for Vanek at LW. They won't play first line minutes but they still produce like first liners, period.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Yes, he actually is. Just like how Vanek is also a LW1. Do I think Poms is still a 65-70 point player capable of an 80 point season? Of course not. But you need to look at production among positions and realize ~45-49 points is low end first line production at wing. Pominville has been top 30 in RW scoring virtually every season and the same for Vanek at LW. They won't play first line minutes but they still produce like first liners, period.

If they won't play first line minutes how is it so inarguable that they aren't top line-caliber players? It's not like Malkin being "#2" behind Crosby. These guys, especially Vanek, have been knocked down the line-up because other players on the roster, not particularly fantastic ones, bring better all-around games. Vanek's skating is a huge liability. Making everything about scoring production is simply wrong.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
If they won't play first line minutes how is it so inarguable that they aren't top line-caliber players? It's not like Malkin being "#2" behind Crosby. These guys, especially Vanek, have been knocked down the line-up because other players on the roster, not particularly fantastic ones, bring better all-around games. Vanek's skating is a huge liability. Making everything about scoring production is simply wrong.

I still remember that goal Eichel scored where he just casually skated right past Vanek who hardly made any attempt to stop him and Eichel ended up roofing it on Mrazek. If that's the type of effort he usually gives now in his own end then I can see why he hasn't been picked up.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

You're right. In terms of production, Poms was a low end first liner last year. To me he is a second liner on an average team, and a third liner on a very good team( which the Wild were last year, never mind their playoff fail) who can play up the lineup at need. Unlike Vanek, he is versatile, and his footspeed, while not great, is average at least, and his shot is still very good. He is also durable.

Throw in a good IQ and personality, especially for a young team like the Sabres, and you've got a steal, compared to the crap you sent the other way.

Don't get me started on Scandella. At worst, he is an in his prime #4 on a good team. At best....we'll see. He simply didn't get minutes with good partners on the Wild in the past two years. When he was playing with Spurgeon he was thought to be the same level as him and Brodin. Some thought better due to his physicality.

Suter and Brodin simply were ahead of him as LHD, and he had to babysit Dumba or Prosser as a partner, while ex partner Spurgeon got to play with Suter, and all of a sudden became this stud #2. Funny how that worked.

With this trade, and CM falling in your lap at #8, the Sabres have a bright future. Still need help on D, but at least you have some trading chips to spare if a top 2 guy comes available.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

So Carrier was considered a first line player when he was with RoR and Okposo?

Pominville and Vanek have finished top 30 in scoring among their respective positions almost every single season. And its not all about scoring production but it mostly is. Pominville is a RW1 in terms of offensive production. Fact. This isn't the mid 00s anymore, 50+ points makes you a legit first liner in terms of offensive production. 60+ points makes you a high end first liner. Between Okposo,Reinhart and Pominville we have 3 RWs who can be considered RW1s. Too bad the left side isn't nearly as deep.

On a good team Pominville would play middle 6. But you can do worse then have Pominville on your top line at RW. Pominville will play third line minutes but he isn't a RW3, he produces as a RW1 I don't get why it's even being debated. If you literally are in the top 30 every single season in scoring at your position you are essentially a first liner.

Or is Eichel a 2C since RoR is technically the 1C? No, Eichel and ROR are both 1Cs.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I forgot all about this. A recurrence or need to have the surgery on the other hip would explain Scandella's struggles last season. As Botterill might say, unfortunately with hip problems it's a situation where these are common scenarios.

I made mention in an earlier post this season. Scandella had an awful year but he has never been as bad as he was this season. I was more in the camp of you can’t toss a player away over a bad year.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I've been pushing this narrative all year.

Im not saying Scandella will definately return to form - he might actually be done. But he deserves another chance IMO.

Dahlin-2017/18 Scandella-Pilut would be a fine LHD group IMO.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
So if Scandella was injured all year, why did he play so much? Why didn’t Botts and Housley plan accordingly? Beaulieu could’ve played more instead of requesting a trade.

I’m not sure which is worse, Scandella being injured and being played while injured, while a guy was traded away because of lack of ice time, Scandella was having personal issues, where again, for team purposes (why do we seem to recent history of this?) probably shouldn’t have played a solid much as he did, or Scandella was healthy and he has truly gone down hill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->