Confirmed with Link: Scandella, Pominville, and a 4th acquired for Ennis, Foligno, & a 3rd

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
wow, impressive to get scandella for guys who were on the way out. So in like 3 years, what player will you want off Minny's roster to take Ennis back?

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Scandella seems like a decent pick up. If swallowing Pominville's contract was the biggest cost, I guess that's worth it. Blueline is intriguing.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Scandella seems like a decent pick up. If swallowing Pominville's contract was the biggest cost, I guess that's worth it. Blueline is intriguing.

This wasn't actually negative, are you feeling ok?

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Fantastic news. Haven't read thru the whole thread so I don't know whether cap problems influenced Minn or they just wanted to change up things after losing to the Blues in the 1st round.

Ennis and Foligno though? Gotta wonder if someone from the Wild didn't do their homework or Botts is just that frickin' GOOD!

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
Per the radio today, Poms last played fro Buffalo in 2013. With the trade of Foligno and Ennis, there are exactly zero players from that team still on the Sabres. A complete roster turnover in four + years

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010

Pomminville isn't just a cap dump atleast. He's still a pretty useful player right now. A good vet presence too that's still hungry for a cup win.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Pomminville isn't just a cap dump atleast. He's still a pretty useful player right now. A good vet presence too that's still hungry for a cup win.

Yeah, Ennis was on a 21 point pace last year. If Pominville can inject 30 more points into the lineup, that's huge and definitely worth the extra million they are paying him.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
If this trade was proposed to Minny fans in the trade forum it would have been universally shot down. Can't believe it happened. Boterrill is looking good so far.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
this is a modern day salary cap era trade. Two teams with two entirely different ideas about the trade. Minny needs the cap space for other players. Sure they might like Foligno and Ennis can play with his best friend but this trade was about space for Money to be allocated to Nino and Grandlund

Botts knows he can exploit the cap at this point so he gets his top 4 dman by given up little in value but accepting cap with Pommer who is still a useful player and a fan favorite. By moving out Ennis salary, Pommer's hit isn't too bad.

Bott seems like he is part Murray: willing to deal to improve the team and part Darcy: calculated, does his homework, makes intelligent trades. I love this trade and I like the vision he has for the franchise and how he is going about building it so far. Let's see what the next few days bring.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
Minnesota gave up the two best players in the trade for essentially 2 million in cap space. Just crazy.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Minnesota gave up the two best players in the trade for essentially 2 million in cap space. Just crazy.

This is what I keep coming back to. Pominville is still a smart effective player who is defensively responsible and can play within a system...and he's way more valuable than the difference in pay for what Ennis makes. Scandella for Foligno and a trade down of mid round picks is a joke.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Scandella makes the defense deeper and intriguing. Pominville is still top 10 in Points/60 so if he can keep that up or close here that would be great. Firmly believe Buffalo did well with this trade

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
What's wrong with Scandella?

Ennis is a soft-headed injury risk bordering on cap dump. Foligno is still a project player/expensive plug. I get the $2m in saving by including Pominville but surprised that was the difference between Foligno & Scandella.

Trade looks too good, so I am suspicious. :squint:

I especially like how it was part of a larger strategy that included the expansion draft. Good reason to protect Ennis over Carrier at least.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I still can't believe this trade happened. In all actuality, this trade was a massive steal. I was an advocate of trading Foligno for a long time now. He is in reality, a solid 4th liner more then anything. He made numerous idiotic decisions and took several dumb penalties. He tops out as a 30 point player at best. He peaked in his first 13 games of his career.

As for a Ennis, this is a guy who is one hit away from retirement. All we talked about for the past year was figuring out if any team would take Ennis+MIN 2017 2nd to take him off our hands :laugh: The fact we actually received a quality player is insane. Pominville may be overpaid by a half million or so but he is still a high end second line forward, production wise. His two way game blows Ennis' out of the water. I can see Poms rejuvenating himself back in Buffalo and putting up something like 25-30-55. At the very least he will put up ~42/45 points, which is still second line production. His contract is only two years.

Scandella is going to be a solid dman for us. Real solid. He is a top 4 dman on virtually every single team in the league. I think he's the perfect partner for Risto. I know some people want to pair him with Bogo and create a shutdown D pair but I think Scandella is a dman you pair with your best RHD and create a true top pair. McCabe is best suited as a second pairing LHD. At the very least on paper, Buffalos defense is middle LD the pack with the potential to become a top 10 Defense if we somehow can land Shattenkirk, or if Bogosian and Antipin both put up great seasons.

This trade was very Regier like. Not only get something for our major cap dump but arguably getting by far the two most valuable commodities in the trade. This is a tremendous move and one that can kickstart Botterills legacy.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
At 34, Pommer's still a more efficient NHL'er than Ennis and Foligno, so I'm fine with adding that veteran secondary winger here by swapping out Ennis' injury-riddled contract. Foligno was a depth winger and his heavy game is too inconsistent to keep justifying raises there. Positionally, try and replace that from within or via a cheap UFA. Plus, the Sabres gets an NHL defenseman in Scandella too?! :laugh:

Other than the usual change of health and scenery respectively for Ennis and Foligno, the Wild must have really valued more cap space soon or idk how else to rationalize this one. Further, the protected list makes a bit more sense now if Botterill had this in his back pocket.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad