Saying goodbye to Fugu - Update: Obituary in OP

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Think about this (positive) for a second. She touched so many of us here that if you even say HF Boards, you immediately think Fugu. I would imagine she was the same way in real life. So while it's a sad day, you can't help but be thankful that she was on this planet even for a day. Good people like that are needed.

I bet you parabola is up there waiting.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I have looked up all of my warnings throughout my years here, and never got one from Fugu!!! A+ my friend! She was such a wonderful person to listen to and read posts from...this site is better for knowing her and now worst for losing her. Prayers to her and her family in this absolutely shitty time. I try to always put things into perspective here that even though very few really know each other on here, we are a family in a sense..through good conversations and bad arguments, but the love for the greatest sport in the world brought us together and will continue to. Puts things into perspective unfortunately. God bless.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
This is really rough to hear. She has always been the first person to check in on me and see how I was doing. She made me a mod many moons ago. Heck, we even swapped family recipes.

I honestly dreaded this moment for years and have been trying to prepare myself for it. Didn't work at all. This is so damn rough to hear.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I can't say enough good about Fugu. She's someone who was always there for me when I needed her, commiserated with me about family and cooking and was always, to a fault, a fair and just person. Cancer f***ing sucks. I can't emphasize enough - if you feel like Fugu made a difference in your life, please donate - you can do so anonymously. Every little bit helps and I'm sure the Breast Cancer Research Fund will appreciate it.

Last edited:

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
This site owes so much of its very existence to Fugu.

And I owe a great deal of my experience over several years as a moderator and the friendships I have made here to her, too.

Despite never actually "knowing" her the way we know people in real life, I will remember Fugu with a smile and deep admiration.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
:(

I unfortunately never had the pleasure of interacting with you, Fugu. Judging by the posts in this thread from people that did, I missed out on a chance to get to know an incredible human being. When my time is up I can only hope that my life had a fraction of the impact on one person, that your life had on so many. I'm sorry for the pain and suffering you've had to endure. You did not deserve it.

I hope you can enjoy the rest of your time with the people you care for <3

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Like I said to another friend here. As much as this is heartbreaking for me/us I'm going to try to take solace in knowing Barb was one of the most real people I have ever met.

She scored the hat trick of life. That being:

1- She is a great Mother.
2- She is a great wife.
3- She is a great friend.

I don't think there is much more important in life and she nailed all three.
She has left her mark. Which is the best any of us can ever hope for.

member 157595

Many years ago, she and I exchanged several emails. I regret that I lost touch with her, but I remember her very well. She was very supportive and understanding at a time when others were judgmental and vindictive.

I didn't know she was ill, and would have tried to reconnect had I known. I guess the lesson there is to not ever lose touch with those that have impacted your life for the better.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not many people I 'meet' online that have an uncanny ability to touch so many people's lives through warmth and compassion even through disagreement. It takes a transcendent personality to have the kind of empathy to understand and guide such a diverse group of people worldwide. Her life, even through what seems like simple interactions on an online hockey message forum, shows us what's really important in the world.

God bless you and your family Fugu, and thank you for making such a positive impact in the world around.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
No.

I only have one avatar to commit to remembrance...

:(

Man it hit me like that same way. Now we have like 4-5 HF family members who have passed away. When i was in college just messing around talking hockey, I never expected to meet such amazing people and I sure as hell never expected them to pass away.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4