Speculation: Say the Habs do end up signin Tavares AND Stastny, does that solve their problems short term?

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
The Isles forward group has looked better the past couple of years than the proposed Montreal forward group with Tavares and Stastny, so the Habs would still probably be a borderline playoff team with those additions.
It would be smart to try trading either Price or Weber to the Islanders. Take Ladd contract if he's willing to lift his NTC. They might not want to trade neither of their 2018 1st this year, so take 2019 1st and Bellows .

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Let me re-state this:

With all guaranteed contracts remaining and the few re-signings, we would stand at 14 mil in cap space with 21 players on the roster.

That's not enough to sign both JT and Stastny.

And there's another huge hole to fill.

The Outgoing players might be :

Pac 4.5
Shaw 3.9
Alzner 4.63
Schlemko 2.1

This adds a whole other layer of difficulty.

All those players are replaceable. Pacioretty is the only difficult one, but with appropriate centremen for the NHL level, it's mitigated. Plus, Galchenyuk will move up to top LW where I have much confidence he'll be a consistent 30 goal scorer.

Galchenyuk-Tavares-Gallagher
Drouin-Statsny-Lehkonen

This is a gigantic upgrade over what we have. The bottom 6 is whatever. You pay for stars and figure the rest out.

Side note: If you are confident you can make this happen (probably not, let's be honest here) you trade Pacioretty + for a LHD to play with Weber.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Yeah I kinda hope that if we draft Dahlin, he opts to stay at least one more season in Sweden even if doesn't make sense.

Thing is, I've been watching a lot of footage from the kid lately, and I seriously believe he could have a quicker impact than all the players you named. Prospect dmen are often hyped up because of an overall package, but with Dahlin, it's his sheer skills and vision. He's as much of a play driver as Karlsson was in the SHL, but with a better physical package and a better defender imo. He's gonna be something else.

You can also tell by looking at his face he is still a real teenager as opposed to a man-child like Ekblad or Wayne Rooney where they physically are men at 17-18. If Dahlin develops as expected adding muscles, speed, experience etc. he might become something special.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
If this actually happened, I'd look to see if we could pluck Edler out of Vancouver. Pay a little more than he's worth so they'll take Shaw, Schlemko or god forbid they're willing to take Alzner. With how many seconds we have, I think it's workable, especially with Vancouver openly acknowledging they will take on bad contracts for a price.

That will be an exciting defense with Gudbranson and Schlemko. :sarcasm:

Reactions: mariolemieux66

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Not necessarily and depends on what we get in return. He won’t be easy to move but it’s not impossible. We may need to take on another contract

Alzner and Patch for Lucic and... ??? Many other options
Why would you do that? Lucic is awfullllll and makes even more than Alzner. And we are giving them Max?
Edmonton would do that in a second.
I didn't say he can't be moved. All I said was if you want someone to take Alzner off our hands you need to give them some picks in the deal. Nobody is just going to take Alzner.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
If this actually happened, I'd look to see if we could pluck Edler out of Vancouver. Pay a little more than he's worth so they'll take Shaw, Schlemko or god forbid they're willing to take Alzner. With how many seconds we have, I think it's workable, especially with Vancouver openly acknowledging they will take on bad contracts for a price.
I believe Edler refused to lift his NTC and wants to finish his career in Vancouver, unless he gets a legit shot a the cup i doubt he agrees to go with the Habs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Habs should think long and hard about getting rid of everything scorched earth including Weber and Price. So many rebuilds happening simultaneously in Buffalo, Detroit in the Atlantic, the Habs have these prime assets to offload and possibly leap frog those programs.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Habs should think long and hard about getting rid of everything scorched earth including Weber and Price. So many rebuilds happening simultaneously in Buffalo, Detroit in the Atlantic, the Habs have these prime assets to offload and possibly leap frog those programs.

I completely agree that this is what SHOULD happen, but it won’t.

Bergevin is an idiot and is being given an opportunity to right the ship, and because he’s an idiot, he’s going to make tweaks to the roster but nothing more.

Do not underestimate how stupid this man is.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think I said earlier that the habs most ideal scenario, if they were to go this route, would be to get a top RD, and Tavares. Obviously, I meant LD.

Dahlin, and Tavares solve most problems, but its still not enough to be a serious cup contender. The depth at C would still be too much of an issue for that. In this scenario, Danault would be a #2, but on a cup contending team, danault is a #3.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I completely agree that this is what SHOULD happen, but it won’t.

Bergevin is an idiot and is being given an opportunity to right the ship, and because he’s an idiot, he’s going to make tweaks to the roster but nothing more.

Do not underestimate how stupid this man is.
Feel free to add the name Molson to this...

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Another possibility is also Benn @ 1.1M.

A few different scenarios will create more cap space. In terms of trading players to make space on cap, it depends what they get in return. If they get a roster player, than his cap comes back onto Habs' cap.

Also to be taken into consideration is that the cap will go up. And with Vegas' expansion, there could be a big increase. Early reports said that it will go up between 3 to 5 million.

Nevertheless, if they succeed in signing JT, I really don't want Stastny. Only reason I'm good with Stastny is if they miss on JT. BUT, if they do find a way to get both, even better.

1- Benn doesn't change anything regarding salary as his 1.1 would be replaced by someone making between 800k and 1mil.

2- I counted our cap space on a 5 mil increase on the cap. 80 mil -66 mil = 14 mil of cap space

There's simply NO ROOM for both JT & PS without removing either Shaw's contract or Alzner.

We need a PMD, so let's keep Pac's value and salary for that.

Apr 28, 2010
I hate MB with a passion but if he manages to get both and trade Max for a decent D.. :bow:

But I don't have faith in him. He should be fired if we get another crappy offseason. Last two summers were so so bad. Can't afford another one.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why would you do that? Lucic is awfullllll and makes even more than Alzner. And we are giving them Max?
Edmonton would do that in a second.
I didn't say he can't be moved. All I said was if you want someone to take Alzner off our hands you need to give them some picks in the deal. Nobody is just going to take Alzner.

I’d make that deal if the Oilers give us their 1st round pick this year

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let me re-state this:

With all guaranteed contracts remaining and the few re-signings, we would stand at 14 mil in cap space with 21 players on the roster.

That's not enough to sign both JT and Stastny.

And there's another huge hole to fill.

The Outgoing players might be :

Pac 4.5
Shaw 3.9
Alzner 4.63
Schlemko 2.1

This adds a whole other layer of difficulty.

Cap space is currently at $12.7 with 21 players signed

- Cap is likely to grow $5M. That’s $17.7M in cap space

- Trade Patch for a 1st round pick. Cap space Grows to $22.2M with 20 players signed

-Danault ($3.5M), Tavares ($11M), Stastny ($7M) = $21.5M.

- 23 players signed with $0.7M in cap space. Need more room for other improvements? Trade Alzner for a bag of pucks!

Reactions: GHJimmy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
:facepalm:

You said Tavares, Stastny AND Dahlin...

Good luck with that

I said it starts with Dahlin. The other two require less luck and getting Dahlin is a game changer and improves our resume to sign those free agents

The point is it’s possible. Will it happen 100%? No! But I’m going to remain positive for now.

Starts with winning the draft lottery and that requires luck. I’m sure you are smart enough to understand

Reactions: sharks9

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Cap space is currently at $12.7 with 21 players signed

- Cap is likely to grow $5M. That’s $17.7M in cap space

- Trade Patch for a 1st round pick. Cap space Grows to $22.2M with 20 players signed

-Danault ($3.5M), Tavares ($11M), Stastny ($7M) = $21.5M.

- 23 players signed with $0.7M in cap space. Need more room for other improvements? Trade Alzner for a bag of pucks!

Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

You just repeated the exact same thing I did, without adding anything, but making it sound like you did all the calculations right, you were doing this:

:teach:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I said it starts with Dahlin. The other two require less luck and getting Dahlin is a game changer and improves our resume to sign those free agents

The point is it’s possible. Will it happen 100%? No! But I’m going to remain positive for now.

Starts with winning the draft lottery and that requires luck. I’m sure you are smart enough to understand

Signing a UFA of Tavares's calibre takes A LOT of luck, especially for Bergevin.

Not sure you're smart enough to understand this as you feel the need to correct my statement that it's an understatement, which a few seem to agree with me.

Please don't respond further. I'm all too aware of your predisposition: pom-poms, luck, unicorns, rainbow & hope

Reactions: the

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It actually takes more luck to grab tavares than dahlin. Think about that for a second.

The overhwleming odds are that tavares stays on long island. Do you remember the last time a franchise center was allowed to go to the market and was lost for nothing? It doesn't happen.

Say what you want about the ownership and management on long island, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that you can't lose him for nothing. If they felt losing tavares was a realistic possibility, they would have traded him for assets earlier.

Ultimately, I expect tavares to be paid, and paid very handsomely to stick around long island. All the drama around this topic is just posturing for contract purposes IMO.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It would be smart to try trading either Price or Weber to the Islanders. Take Ladd contract if he's willing to lift his NTC. They might not want to trade neither of their 2018 1st this year, so take 2019 1st and Bellows .

There’s no way Price would waive to go to the Islanders. If we were to trade him, which reality is it’s not happening. St. Louis without a doubt would be a team you would think would be a team kicking the tires right now.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
There’s no way Price would waive to go to the Islanders. If we were to trade him, which reality is it’s not happening. St. Louis without a doubt would be a team you would think would be a team kicking the tires right now.

Contract aside, I think the flyers would be a great fit for him. They are not that far off from being a really dangerous team, and I wouldn't be shocked to see price things around in a new environment.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Contract aside, I think the flyers would be a great fit for him. They are not that far off from being a really dangerous team, and I wouldn't be shocked to see price things around in a new environment.
Can you just imagine the return for a soon the be UFA Price (6.5mil) retained at 50% this past trade deadline?
We could have made it a Price and Pacioretty also retained at 50% for a amazing package. But you know...Bergevin.
Right now the Flyers have 2 goalies signed for one more year and Mrazek who they just acquired as a RFA and Alex Lyon who did ok in the 11 games he played. Philadelphia will need to get rid of at least 2 of them of they are getting Price.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad