Speculation: Say the Habs do end up signin Tavares AND Stastny, does that solve their problems short term?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If John Tavares values winning a Stanley Cup, he won't sign with the Habs regardless if Bergy wants to make him the NHL's highest paid player.
using this logic he get to free agency and sign a 1yr league minimum deal to play 3rd fiddle behind Crosby & Malkin in Pittsburgh

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I would see if Dorion is interested in trading Karlsson for Weber. Melnyk wants to save money and stay competitive.

Weber is still a great defender and will cost much less in real world money.
Of course he'd do it. If you have the chance to trade for Weber, you have no option but to do it. Wait who said that again ?!6

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Does the pony skate or fight?

This young pony has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle. Number six, Pony Ponelthorpe.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
What is unrealistic is all three of these things happening. But, what IS realistic is the cap situation. Take a look at this, just for fun. And yes, that line-up would be a contender. Chances of this happening are less than 1%.

Drouin (5.5) – Tavares (12) – Galchenyuk (4.9)
Pacioretty (4.5) – Stastny (5.5) – Gallagher (3.75)
Hudon (0.65) – Danault (3.25) – Lekhonen (0.84)
Byron (1.15) – De La Rose (0.75) – Scherbak (0.86)
Deslauriers (0.95) – Carr (0.75)

Dahlin (3.2) – Weber (7.8)
Mete (0.75) – Petry (5.5)
Alzner (4.6) – Juulsen (0.86)
Reilly (0.725)

Price (10.5)
Lindgren (0.725)

Out: Shaw, Benn, Schlemko

Cap: around 80 million
Only $5.5 million for Stastny who's making $7 million this season? Maybe if we were the Rangers but he's not coming to Montreal for that amount. What he's worth has nothing to do with what he will cost if he's to become a Hab.

Reactions: Runner77

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Oh Man that would be epic! HF Boards would explode.

Bettman: "The 2nd overall draft goes to the Otawa Senators!" Thast means the Habs will pick 1st overall in the 2018 NHL Draft since they win the lotery!

One month later on TSN: " The Montreal Canadiens have just signed John Tavares and Paul Stastney back to back!!"

BOOM! HF Boards is obliterated! LOL

But if you believe in Karma, last years off season was so unbelievably bad, that this year could be unbelievably good.

Dahlin, JT and PS would surly constitute an unbelievably good summer to counter last years disaster! :sarcasm:

THat would be good Karma for taking John Scott .. lol

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It's fun to speculate. At this point far more fun than watching the team play. For me the speculation is severely tempered by the fact that MB ( who has PROVEN to be very poor at his job ) has been entrusted to improve this team. The gm who said you have to build through the draft now postulated to be rebuilding by signing FAs. The gm who claimed that this year's d ( lmao) was better than last year. The gm who lacked the respect for Markov which he had EARNED during his tenure. As long as this incompetent, arrogant product of nepotism is gm it's irrelevant who he might sign because he's simply scrambling with no discernible plan and JT + PS can't fix a systemically broken team. "Trump lite".
Well said. Im sure you and lots of other could say this :

I consider myself a bigger Habs fan than MB.

I know I have personally invested more in the team than MB.

Absolutely positive I have watched more Canadiens games than MB.

Apparently have more respect and gratitude for Andre Markov than MB.

Long over due.....Fire this plug already.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Who’s gonna be disappointed if we don’t sign stastny?? No one. This guy is at best a 2nd liner and solves non of the Habs problems
Either get Tavares or go full rebuild
Two teams that can miss the play offs with JT.

Islanders and Canadiens..........correction.... Islanders and MBs squad.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Two teams that can miss the play offs with JT.

Islanders and Canadiens..........correction.... Islanders and MBs squad.
A Habs lineup with Tavares and Price finds his game , no way Habs miss playoffs
ESPECIALLY if Weber Is healthy

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
A Habs lineup with Tavares and Price finds his game , no way Habs miss playoffs
ESPECIALLY if Weber Is healthy
IF Price is healthy, IF Price finds his game, IF Weber is healthy .....ok. 3 Ifs can put a team in the play offs............and 3 other ones can put them in the basement.

What I know and see IS JT has better forwards around him now than he will on the Canadiens.....and missed the play offs.

Have seen the habs play with both of a healthy Weber and Price on his game. (With Markov and Rads too boot) They were collapsing swith all four of those guys, so fired coach, then lost in round one....rather easily.

The top 3 teams in the Atlantic this season.......will be the top 3 teams next season

Will the habs be able to win the final wild card battle with jersey, philly, florida, etc. because they have JT.

Maybe. But I doubt it.

Another big IF.........IF MB continues calling the shots for the Habs?.......bodes well for early April tee off times.

But Price has put lottery teams in play off before. :crossfing

Last edited:

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
IF Price is healthy, IF Price finds his game, IF Weber is healthy .....ok. 3 Ifs can put a team in the play offs............and 3 other ones can put them in the basement.

What I know and see IS JT has better forwards around him now than he will on the Canadiens.....and missed the play offs.

Have seen the habs play with both of a healthy Weber and Price on his game. (With Markov and Rads too boot) They were collapsing swith all four of those guys, so fired coach, then lost in round one....rather easily.

The top 3 teams in the Atlantic this season.......will be the top 3 teams next season

Will the habs be able to win the final wild card battle with jersey, philly, florida, etc. because they have JT.

Maybe. But I doubt it.

Another big IF.........IF MB continues calling the shots for the Habs?.......bodes well for early April tee off times. ;)

Yeah having an if Tavares signs here thread is in the same category of possibility as a thread on if we trade x, y, z for McDavid, where do we go from there....

But the forwards in Long Island aren't the problem: it's the dcore and the goalies. IF we win the Dahlin lottery, and the other ifs with Weber and Price go our way, we're looking good from the back end.

As for the forwards, if you add John Tavares, we're also looking good up front. But he still has better options.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yeah having an if Tavares signs here thread is in the same category of possibility as a thread on if we trade x, y, z for McDavid, where do we go from there....

But the forwards in Long Island aren't the problem: it's the dcore and the goalies. IF we win the Dahlin lottery, and the other ifs with Weber and Price go our way, we're looking good from the back end.

As for the forwards, if you add John Tavares, we're also looking good up front. But he still has better options.
Agree.....the d core and goalies are problem with Islanders...not the forwards.

In Montreal the forwards are a huge problem. And in case you have not noticed the D? after Weber..... terrible 2 thru 7.

;) If they win the lottery too........

Hope is good. Becoming a tactic in Montreal ? :sarcasm:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
They would still be missing a top pair RD. Then yeah, they would be set up short term.

Their best short term scenario is tavares and dahlin.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
That new Center line and a healthy and performing Price and Weber will indeed improve this club, but automatic cup winners? I'm not so sure, not yet atleast.

Name one automatic Cup winner! That doesn't exist in hockey where the 16-Win marathon is the hardest to win, and, even more, the hardest to repeat as winners, IMHO. Kudos to the few teams that have been able to do so since the Cap was put into place.

If we are waiting for the day where MON will become an automatic Cup winner, it will never happen, IMO.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
sxA¨‹Æcv bxxzΩ‹Æ
Not for me

Having Mete as a first pair is really bad.
Mete did not score a freaking goal this year. Rookie or not.
This D is god awful
Jeff Petry is good on powerplay but hes really bad overall our top 4 is atrocious

Edit : Also Juulsen is not NHL ready at all. He needs to go back AHL.
Alzner is also a ****ing disaster. hes not even top 6

METE-PETRY and ALZNER-JUULSEN can be adequate pairings as 2nd and 3rd pairings. We would still need a top pairing LHD like a young Shea Theodore, for example. How about Pacioretty, Josh Brook and a 2nd rounder for Theodore? Throw in Schlemko as a favour from las Vegas.

Theodore - Weber
Mete-Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

Reilly, Lernout, Vialev

I'd be satisfied with that at D, especially if Tavares and Stasny signed with zero cost in terms of assets. :)

Drouin - Tavares - Scherbak
Galchenyuk - Stasny - Gallagher
Hudon - Danault - Lehkonen
Byron - Evans - Shaw

Deslauriers, DeLaRose, Carr

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You overpay for guys like Tavares. You overpay for guys like Karlsson. You overpay for guys like Dougty.
You overpay for the kind of players that can change the game.

If you have to offer an extra million or two to ensure you get them, you spend it.

When you hear MB say teams aren't giving up their 1C in a trade. And then you see a few being traded. But the argument is that the price is too expensive to trade for one. Well then here is your opportunity to get one (and one of the elite to boot) without having to empty the already bare cupboards. All he will cost you as a UFA is money.

And he's in the prime of his career.

Even if an offer were made that sent this year's first rounder to NYI, if Tavares doesn't want to sign here, there is nothing the Habs can do. Since a signature hinges on Tavares, they might as well wait that he becomes a UFA and bid like everyone else. No need to dangle this year's first round pick.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Even if an offer were made that sent this year's first rounder to NYI, if Tavares doesn't want to sign here, there is nothing the Habs can do. Since a signature hinges on Tavares, they might as well wait that he becomes a UFA and bid like everyone else. No need to dangle this year's first round pick.

I agree. I'm not even insinuating trading for his rights. I'm talking about signing him as a UFA.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
sxA¨‹Æcv bxxzΩ‹Æ

METE-PETRY and ALZNER-JUULSEN can be adequate pairings as 2nd and 3rd pairings. We would still need a top pairing LHD like a young Shea Theodore, for example. How about Pacioretty, Josh Brook and a 2nd rounder for Theodore? Throw in Schlemko as a favour from las Vegas.

Theodore - Weber
Mete-Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

Reilly, Lernout, Vialev

I'd be satisfied with that at D, especially if Tavares and Stasny signed with zero cost in terms of assets. :)

Drouin - Tavares - Scherbak
Galchenyuk - Stasny - Gallagher
Hudon - Danault - Lehkonen
Byron - Evans - Shaw

Deslauriers, DeLaRose, Carr
How do you fit Tavares 12mil,
Statsny 6.5+mil and Theodore 6+mil under the cap?

Reactions: Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Drouin 5.5
Chucky 4.9
Casper 4.5
Shaw 3.9
Gallagher 3.75
Danault 3.5
Byron 1.17
Deslauriers 0.95
Scherbak 0.86
Lekhonen 0.84
DLR 0.9
Whoever 0.9

Weber 7.86
Petry 5.5
Alzner 4.63
Schlemko 2.1
Benn 1.1
Juulsen 0.86
Mete 0.75

Price 10.5
Whoever 0.9

That leaves about 14 mil in free space, so unless Shaw retires or gets put on LTIR indefinitely or somehow we miraculously get rid of Alzner's contract, no way we can sign both Tavares and Stastny. And even if we sign both, that leaves a gaping hole on the first pairing's left side. Unless, of course, we draft Dahlin.

Just getting Tavares would be a miracle.

Getting Dahlin is another miracle.

Signing Stastny is pointless, but it's the likeliest to happen.

On another note, I hadn't written up a habs cap-oriented roster in a long time, and man, that Price contract is a killer. It's even more glaring when you write it up. 1/8 of the cap just... gone. The average salary on a full cap loaded 23 men roster is 3.5 million. You can fit 3 of those with Price's salary. Just out of this world.

Something needs to be done with guaranteed contracts.

Last edited:

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Drouin 5.5
Chucky 4.9
Casper 4.5
Shaw 3.9
Gallagher 3.75
Danault 3.5
Byron 1.17
Deslauriers 0.95
Scherbak 0.86
Lekhonen 0.84
DLR 0.9
Whoever 0.9

Weber 7.86
Petry 5.5
Alzner 4.63
Schlemko 2.1
Benn 1.1
Juulsen 0.86
Mete 0.75

Price 10.5
Whoever 0.9

That leaves about 14 mil in free space, so unless Shaw retires or gets put on LTIR indefinitely or somehow we miraculously get rid of Alzner's contract, no way we can sign both Tavares and Stastny. And even if we sign both, that leaves a gaping hole on the first pairing's left side. Unless, of course, we draft Dahlin.

Just getting Tavares would be a miracle.

Getting Dahlin is another miracle.

Signing Stastny is pointless, but it's the likeliest to happen.

On another note, I hadn't written up a habs cap-oriented roster in a long time, and man, that Price contract is a killer.
And even with Tavares and a 18 years old rookie dmen we wont win the cup next year. We will need a couple of run and by that time, weber will be 35, Price 33, Pacioretty and Byron UFAs, Scherbak, Lehkonen, Hudon and Reilly RFAs. 10 more years of mediocrity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad