Speculation: Say the Habs do end up signin Tavares AND Stastny, does that solve their problems short term?

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
So there are a few reports out there that the favourites to sign JT are the Montreal Canadiens.

Also there have been reports that Stastney will sign here as well.

Let's say for the sake of argument Habs end up signing both JT and PS does that automatically make them contenders? Barring of course MB completes a couple trades.

I mean Max Pac will need to be traded, probably to upgrade defense.
Maybe shed a contract or 2 to make space.

Drouin - Tavares - Gally
Lehky - Stastney - Galchy
Hudon - Danault - Byron
D Lo - DLR/Froese - Shaw

Mete - Weber
Traded D - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

That new forward corps looks much more balanced. And the fact that almost all our forwards are versatile they can be moved up and down and from side to side on the line-up is a plus.

Now is the defense still too weak to make this team a contender?

What do you Habs fans think?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
So there are a few reports out there that the favourites to sign JT are the Montreal Canadiens.

Also there have been reports that Stastney will sign here as well.

Let's say for the sake of argument Habs end up signing both JT and PS does that automatically make them contenders? Barring of course MB completes a couple trades.

I mean Max Pac will need to be traded, probably to upgrade defense.
Maybe get rid of a contract or 2.

Drouin - Tavares - Gally
Lehky - Stastney - Galchy
Hudon - Danault - Byron
D Lo - DLR/Froese - Shaw

Mete - Weber
Traded D - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen

That new forward corps looks much more balanced. And the fact that almost all our forwards are versatile they can be moved up and down and from side to side on the line-up is a plus.

Now is the defense still too weak to make this team a contender?

What do you Habs fans think?

I still have Scherbak in the top 6 over Lehkonen.

As you said, We need help on D. Whether that comes from trading Pacioretty or another forward. With Tavares and Statsny, we 11 top 9 forwards, 2 are trade bait.

Reactions: HBDay

AshyHabs

Biceps>Brains
Dec 27, 2015
Montreal
Sure wouldn't mind having ps and jt as our 2nd defensive pairing...come on mb you know you wanna make history

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I personally prefer Lehkonen to Sherbak. More complete player right now. Sherbak is a keeper though that's for sure.

If we trade Galchy though then Sherbak can take his place on the 2nd line.

Reactions: Vachon23

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
out of genuine curiosity... is there any links for these reports? I just haven' seen them yet.. so I'd love to if u got them to share :)

ps. I'm really asking .. not being facetious

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Hard to score goals with that defence getting stuck in their zone.

All they need is a Price rebound to make the playoffs but the wood is too rotten for much else. Tavares and Stastny would be moving in the right direction but you also have them magically acquiring a top 4 D and Mete being good enough to handle first pair minutes. It's all still a pipe dream.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
It definitely makes us competitive for the next few years with Weber and Price still in the mix
The fact that we are pretty young and the amount of picks we have coming at this summer's draft might save us as well in the long run if Timmins and friends don't screw it up!
I know it's not going to happen, but can you imagine we win the lottery and sign both those guys down the middle?
If that happens, I'll wear purple pants to a few games next year!

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Hard to score goals with that defence getting stuck in their zone.

All they need is a Price rebound to make the playoffs but the wood is too rotten for much else. Tavares and Stastny would be moving in the right direction but you also have them magically acquiring a top 4 D and Mete being good enough to handle first pair minutes. It's all still a pipe dream.

Even if Price is at the top of his game, i don't see them making the playoffs without either an upgrade on C or D.

Last edited:

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I would see if Dorion is interested in trading Karlsson for Weber. Melnyk wants to save money and stay competitive.

Weber is still a great defender and will cost much less in real world money.

He would want a lot more IMO and I think he will get it, especially if traded at the draft with prospects and picks!
I would definitely do it but Weber 1 for 1 isn't enough going to Ottawa

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Oh Man that would be epic! HF Boards would explode.

Bettman: "The 2nd overall draft goes to the Otawa Senators!" Thast means the Habs will pick 1st overall in the 2018 NHL Draft since they win the lotery!

One month later on TSN: " The Montreal Canadiens have just signed John Tavares and Paul Stastney back to back!!"

BOOM! HF Boards is obliterated! LOL

But if you believe in Karma, last years off season was so unbelievably bad, that this year could be unbelievably good.

Dahlin, JT and PS would surly constitute an unbelievably good summer to counter last years disaster! :sarcasm:

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Not for me

Having Mete as a first pair is really bad.
Mete did not score a freaking goal this year. Rookie or not.
This D is god awful
Jeff Petry is good on powerplay but hes really bad overall our top 4 is atrocious

Edit : Also Juulsen is not NHL ready at all. He needs to go back AHL.
Alzner is also a f***ing disaster. hes not even top 6

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Here you go bud:

John Tavares et Paul Stastny liés au Canadien

and

Montreal Canadiens: The favourite to acquire John Tavares

and

Plus a few others. It all started on a couple radio shows and went from there.

Unfortunately there are no real links between either of these players and Montreal.

We may not be the biggest fan base, but we're surely the biggest consumers of online news with no sources with headlines that discuss our fantasies. Most journalists know this and write their stories and headlines accordingly.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I would see if Dorion is interested in trading Karlsson for Weber. Melnyk wants to save money and stay competitive.

Weber is still a great defender and will cost much less in real world money.

He's not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->