Speculation: Say the Habs do end up signin Tavares AND Stastny, does that solve their problems short term?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I said it starts with Dahlin. The other two require less luck and getting Dahlin is a game changer and improves our resume to sign those free agents

The point is it’s possible. Will it happen 100%? No! But I’m going to remain positive for now.

Starts with winning the draft lottery and that requires luck. I’m sure you are smart enough to understand

That's not remaining positive, that is nothing more than blind hope. If this fails(which it will) then what? Who was the last high profile free agent to choose a losing Canadian franchise as a destination for a long term deal? I can't think of any and please don't say Brian Gionta.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Can you just imagine the return for a soon the be UFA Price (6.5mil) retained at 50% this past trade deadline?
We could have made it a Price and Pacioretty also retained at 50% for a amazing package. But you know...Bergevin.
Right now the Flyers have 2 goalies signed for one more year and Mrazek who they just acquired as a RFA and Alex Lyon who did ok in the 11 games he played. Philadelphia will need to get rid of at least 2 of them of they are getting Price.

Well, they are not getting price because of the contract. By what I've heard, and based on his short track record, it's not hextall's way.

My guess is that he's going to try and find capable stopgaps, and hope for the best in Carter hart, but we'll see.

I am puzzled to this day why the Habs felt it necessary to extend price last summer. Unless there was some discount on the table, what was the rush? Obviously, there was no discount.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Tavares will most likely either stay in NY or go to Toronto (where he's from). Unfortunately, Montreal as a hockey team and as a city are both not appealing.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Tavares will most likely either stay in NY or go to Toronto (where he's from). Unfortunately, Montreal as a hockey team and as a city are both not appealing.
He's from Toronto ; so what ? does that means that he want to go there ? does that means that Leafs have the cap to sign him ? There is a guy named Mathews in Toronto , and he's a top #1 center .

Montreal as a city isn't appealing ? since when ?

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
He's from Toronto ; so what ? does that means that he want to go there ? does that means that Leafs have the cap to sign him ? There is a guy named Mathews in Toronto , and he's a top #1 center .

Montreal as a city isn't appealing ? since when ?

Usually players like to play in their hometown. Toronto is close to contending, Montreal is not. Pittsburgh has two top #1 centres, so obviously it's possible for the potential lesser duo of Tavares and Matthews to coexist if Crosby and Malkin can do it. In Toronto, Tavares has the possibility of winning the Cup in his hometown, pretty hard to deny that especially considering that they are going to contend for years to come. I could see Marner becoming expendable to add a great winger/defensemen.

No, Montreal is not an appealing city, even more-so if you're not from here. Different language, high taxes, city is constantly under construction. Whether one agrees or not, it's the reality...

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
If that happens and that’s a big IF, I would go with this lineup on opening night,

Galchenyuk - Tavares - Drouin
Lekhonen - Stastny - Sherbak
Hudon - Danault - Gallagher
Deslauriers - De La Rose - Shaw/Carr

Mete - Weber
XXXX - Petry
Reilly - Juulsen

Price

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Usually players like to play in their hometown. Toronto is close to contending, Montreal is not. Pittsburgh has two top #1 centres, so obviously it's possible for the potential lesser duo of Tavares and Matthews to coexist if Crosby and Malkin can do it. In Toronto, Tavares has the possibility of winning the Cup in his hometown, pretty hard to deny that especially considering that they are going to contend for years to come. I could see Marner becoming expendable to add a great winger/defensemen.

No, Montreal is not an appealing city, even more-so if you're not from here. Different language, high taxes, city is constantly under construction. Whether one agrees or not, it's the reality...

It's not simple like that ; " He's from Toronto , so he will sign there "

There's a cap salary cap to deal with , Malkin has been selected by Pittsburgh , so he's used to play the second violin . Not sure that Tavares would enjoy to play that role in Toronto .
Montreal is a very nice place to live ; Good restaurants , lot of nice places to go out , women are beautiful , it's a really safe city , there is " chez Paré " :naughty: and about the language , there are a lot of areas where anglophones can live without saying one single french word .

And i add these links for you ;

NHLPA Player Poll 2017-18

10 Best NHL Teams to Play for

NHL: 10 Best Hockey Cities in North America

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Would people be willing to give picks as part of a deal to get Alzner off the books in order to get room for both ? without knowing if they will sign or not ?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
If that happens and that’s a big IF, I would go with this lineup on opening night,

Galchenyuk - Tavares - Drouin
Lekhonen - Stastny - Sherbak
Hudon - Danault - Gallagher
Deslauriers - De La Rose - Shaw/Carr

Mete - Weber
XXXX - Petry
Reilly - Juulsen

Price
I could see that being alot of the forward group.

I have the same thought looking at that as I did last fall's group....that is one soft group of forwards.

Who is going into the corners and coming out with the puck,?

Who is winning battles in front of the net?

The two toughest guys this season were Gallagher and Byron, two of the smallest.

Including adding centres, looks like plenty of work to do in my opinion to balance those forwards.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Rarely players wants to play in their hometown. Tavares would be more likely going to Toronto cause they have a better team and future but when you play for a big market team and it's your hometown to beat, you don't have any peace. For the family, it would be better for him to say sign with the Habs and have his family stay in Toronto for example.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Rarely players wants to play in their hometown. Tavares would be more likely going to Toronto cause they have a better team and future but when you play for a big market team and it's your hometown to beat, you don't have any peace. For the family, it would be better for him to say sign with the Habs and have his family stay in Toronto for example.

Could also stay in the NY area and sign with the Rangers. I don't have a strong feeling that he's even interested in the Habs other than using Montreal's desperation to try and get other teams to boost their offers.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Is he a Bergevin plant?

;)

The guy bought himself goodwill in these parts by being buddies with Trevor Timmins, and to his credit, he has a good prediction record for habs picks.

But he managed to wear out that good will by being a total :eek::eek::eek::eek:. He started being nice recently after he started his website, for which you have to pay 3.99 to subscribe. What a coincidence.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
It's not simple like that ; " He's from Toronto , so he will sign there "

There's a cap salary cap to deal with , Malkin has been selected by Pittsburgh , so he's used to play the second violin . Not sure that Tavares would enjoy to play that role in Toronto .
Montreal is a very nice place to live ; Good restaurants , lot of nice places to go out , women are beautiful , it's a really safe city , there is " chez Paré " :naughty: and about the language , there are a lot of areas where anglophones can live without saying one single french word .

And i add these links for you ;

NHLPA Player Poll 2017-18

10 Best NHL Teams to Play for

NHL: 10 Best Hockey Cities in North America

Add those links all you want, I currently live in Montreal as an anglophone from Nova Scotia who came from Toronto for work.

1) my after tax income is 20% lower
2) my girlfriend can't move here due to not knowing french
3) you don't truly feel welcome as an anglophone and it wears on you having to apologize for not knowing the language

Take it from someone who wasn't born in Montreal and is living here now, my long term doesn't include this city.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->